Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Another vote against extended low RPM idling. I'm told that it takes ~25psi oil pressure to adequately lubricate the valve train of the engine. When warm mine must be in high idle to do that.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
And now, the rest of the story

Thanks again guys for all the help. I got everything buttoned up, took the slobber tube out of the catch can and cut hose level with bottom of pan. Started up and held my breath. It ran clean, but it ran clrean after I had removed slobber tube from catch can before, never did smoke alot. The difference was I don't have oil coming out of the exhaust at every little seam. The way the slobber tube had been run, it was NOT all down hill the the catch can, It was that way when I got it and I never did think that was right. It's been that way along time by the look of oil residue,dirt etc on tube. Just a guess, but it has been cold here in the mornings, freezing and alittle colder. I think the tube may have had condensation that had frozen, at it's low spot, causing engine to build up pressure and blow oil out everywhere till the slobber tube opened up. The Supv. at Cummins thought that was very posible when we talked and said, run it down the road and heat it up good. Took it for 20 mile trip and all is fine.
So for a $3.00 turbo gasket, some sore arms,back etc a lesson has been learned, even if it looks like it's been working, if you know better, FIX IT!
I raced dirt cars for ten years, built my engines and know they have to breathe, also what cold fat jetted engine does when idleing, so I am very careful with these diesels.
Anyway, thats my story, and I'm sticking to it!
John G.
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
CJ,
Have the best of both worlds-no crankcase pressure build up and no oil drip from the slobber tube, messing up the coach and toad.

Install a Jaz breather bottle.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Happycarz,
I pulled a Moroso unit off the my shelf the other day, just like that one,( used it when raced cars) I planned on getting rid of the setup I had, and putting it on when I serviced the coach... the same day I had the trouble. I knew it needed to be changed, guess I should have not put it off!
Nice job installing it!
John G.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #19

CJ....great news re your fix. And thanks for getting back to us and letting us know the outcome.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Regarding the Slobber Tube and the poor installation of of a catch bottle, read this thread regarding the problems I had with my Oil Breather/Slobber Tube on my Cummins ISC 350HP last year.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isc-...sue-83829.html

I do not need ANY catch bottle of ANY sort because ALL of the oil now returns to the engines oil pan where it belongs in the first place.

Thanks for the follow-up and your results.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:12 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJScepter View Post
... run it down the road and heat it up good. Took it for 20 mile trip and all is fine.

So for a $3.00 turbo gasket, some sore arms,back etc a lesson has been learned, even if it looks like it's been working, if you know better, FIX IT!

Anyway, thats my story, and I'm sticking to it!
John G.
Good job, John. Glad it was not serious. I remember how much you were looking forward to getting your new-to-you coach back in August. I was getting concerned when you started this thread. Again, happy that it turned out well.

Are we going to get to see that handsome coach in Quartzsite in January?
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:03 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Dave,
Not sure about Quartsite yet, I've got some appts in January, if I can, I'll try to make it, one thing about it, you don't need reservations! I do have reservations in Mesa area for month of March. Thanks for the concern.
John G.