Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Isolator Relay Delay - Replacement?

I just noticed this burned out area on a circuit board labeled "Isolator Relay Delay". In searching here I found several post concerning this issue and it appears to be something to do with isolating the charge between the house and chassis batteries.

I haven't noticed any charging issues with either set of batteries in the past and don't know if this burned area you see on the board is something new or has been this way for a while. It looks like I can simply remove the "Isolator Relay Delay" and replace it with a new one by removing a couple of nuts and unplugging a couple of wires (hopefully). I am not much of an electrician so plug and play is my best approach if possible.

Can someone possibly give me some direction on what might have caused the burn spot, and where I might be able to find a replacement for the circuit board or just some suggestion on what I need to do to correct the problem. We are going to Quartzsite next month and up to Seattle the following week so I really need to insure I don't have any battery charging issues before I take off. Although it appears everything is working correctly today, the burned area obviously indicates I have (or previously had) some kind of an issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I tried to attaché a picture, but don't know if I did it correctly or not, so if it doesn't appear in the post I will try again in a follow up.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isolatorelay.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	81627  

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bob,

It is hard to say exactly what caused the burned area (failed component) on your circuit board, could just be a defective part.

I found a replacement part at what I consider a reasonable price (much more expensive from Monaco) here: RV camper Motor Home Monaco Mega Tech of Oregon 16624716 Isolator Delay Relays | eBay

I recently replaced the electrical panel that the "Isolator Delay Relay" is mounted on. It really was not that complicated. You will need to remove the main board as you need access from the rear to change the relay. If you decide to do it yourself take lots of pictures from different angles. Be sure to disconnected your shore power and turn off both the Chassis and Coach switches in the battery compartment. All the connectors on the board are numbered and the plugs that connect to them should be as well. If not, use a magic marker and as you disconnect each one mark it with the corresponding number. The main board is mounted with either 3 or 4 self tapping bolts. Remove all the wires first then remove the bolts and slide the board out.

I hope this helps.

Marty

Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Marty
I found it at Monaco for $306.18 about an hour ago. Your link came in just in time so I ordered one on eBay and it sure is a much better price. Thanks for the timely reply.

Are you saying I will need to remove the main board to be able to change out the insulator relay delay? I was hoping I could simply remove the two nuts holding the isolator relay delay board and switch with the new one.

Bob & Pearl
Old 12-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

I still had my old board and have just checked to see if it would be possible to change the relay without removing the board.

Attached is a photo of the back of the board and inside the orange rectangle are the two bolts that are used to attach the relay. While it may be possible to replace the relay without removing the board it would be very tricky as the bolts are quite loose once the nuts are removed. In my opinion it is worth a try as it would save time not having to remove the board. It took me about an hour or so to remove and install the board. The 2 blue wires on the relay are interchangeable.
Good luck and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main dist panel.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	81658  
Old 12-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
YC1

I do not think you will have to remove the big board to change the little board out. Clip and snip and crimp the old wires to the new one.

The little board senses a charging condition on either the engine batteries or the coach batteries and then sends a voltage to the large solenoid in the battery compartment via the purple wire. That is, if it sees a charging voltage level on either bank of batteries it ties them together.

In addition, if it sees your alternator running and you start your generator it disables the circuit.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Clip and snip and crimp is not required and would be a mistake.
There a a total of 5 wires from the relay board. A connector that plugs into the main board contains 3 of the wires and the other two wires (blue) are attached to the house and chassis power studs.

Bob,

To get you to Quartzsite,where I am sure someone would be able to help you, you could temporarily attach the new relay board to the large stud using the nylon wing nut. Then disconnect the wiring from the old relay and replace with the wiring from the new relay. Almost plug and play.

Marty
manxadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxadian View Post
Clip and snip and crimp is not required and would be a mistake.
There a a total of 5 wires from the relay board. A connector that plugs into the main board contains 3 of the wires and the other two wires (blue) are attached to the house and chassis power studs.

Bob,

To get you to Quartzsite,where I am sure someone would be able to help you, you could temporarily attach the new relay board to the large stud using the nylon wing nut. Then disconnect the wiring from the old relay and replace with the wiring from the new relay. Almost plug and play.

Marty

It has been a long time since I replaced mine and forgot that it indeed was plugged in and the remaining wires had connectors on them. Things were in transition with Monaco and the part seemed impossible to find at the time.

The Bird system keeps the continuous solenoid online and the solenoid draws about 1.5 amps. When boondocking and the solar is trying to keep up with things that loss of 1.5 amps is a lot. The solenoid is also a source of failure so I use a different device for the Bird function now and keep the solenoid in place for the emergency start function only.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

Did you manage to get the Isolator Relay Delay replaced?

Marty
Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Marty
Thanks for asking yes, it arrived and it was an easy install. I didn't have to remove the main board, just remove the old IRD and replace.

Since the install, We have traveled to the Quaetzsite IRV2 Monaco rally then up to Seattle WA and now back down to Tucson AZ for an Escapee rally and it has performed great. I think I can chalk this one up as successful.

Thank You for your help and information

Bob

Bob & Pearl
Old 03-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

I am happy to see that everything worked out for you.

Happy RVing,

Marty

Tags
replacement, replace