Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

Jake brake pedal.

I have been wanting to install a foot pedal Jake Brake pedal on our Executive similar to our old Signature. Looking around here I did not see much in the way of information of how to do so but I did find a lot of almost arguing over which is better the foot switch or the on/off armrest switch.
Lets move past that argument for this discussion

I found it amazingly hard to find a foot pedal switch that matches the Monaco drawings. Those drawings show either 5 or 6 wires depending on the version you have. Some folks say you only need 2 wires to add the pedal.
I am not positive which is correct but I did find some things out I would like to share and perhaps someone can fill the rest in.

The Monaco drawings leave a lot to guess at. They don't show you how the switches are setup with regards to NO, NC, Common and if the switches are in on or off position. Additionally, the wiring harness shows all plugs from the back side so when following the diagram you have to swap the wiring from left to right but not up to down when going from male to female plug diagrams. It can be confusing, or at least to me it was.

I decided to re-purpose the Jake on/off switch for something down the road such as a switch to tie/untie the headlight high/low beams together. This is partially because I don't care for that switch usage for brake control and partially because the wiring diagram does not make sense to me. I will explain.
The on/off switch is a 10 connector switch. Most of the wires are for the back lights and light that comes on when you select "on". Those are on the bottom, top and right sides of the drawing.
The connector on pin 2 is common to the Jake Brake.
Connector 1 I believe goes to the cruise control. It is NC when the switch is in the off position.
Connector 3 is NO and goes to the Jake Brake. When you turn that switch on, I believe you remove the connection between 1 and 2 and make the connection between 2 and 3 which disables the cruise and turns the brake on.

What I found as a problem for me to grasp, is that if I just add the foot pedal as shown in the diagram, the wires going between 1 and 2 will always have continuity between them unless you put the on/off switch in "on" AND step on the foot pedal.
Further, you could remove that wire from one or the other but then then you would not have continuity when you might want continuity between 1 and 2. Essentially I have assumed that Monaco has something in the programming, perhaps that Latching mode mentioned earlier in a previous post, not sure. In any case, I did not want to fry something by having both the foot pedal and on/off switch sourcing continuity between those two wires. So, I eliminated the on/off switch...

Now, the 2 wire brake pedal part. Simply eliminate the NC wire from the foot pedal and you will have a 2 wire foot pedal installation, provided that NC connection on that on/off switch does not cause trouble while in the off position.
This is the part that someone that knows for sure how this diagram permits both the foot pedal and on/off switch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jake brake pedal diagram 3-2018.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	197732

This is the factory drawing. I have stripped out what I needed for this post in my above drawing to make it easier to see what is going on. The Jake on/off switch is on the right side of this drawing.

Name:	Engine Svc Brake Schematic.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	197733

This is the removed switch panel and related high/low and on/off switches. They are pre wired from the factory with jumpers and such between them. In my case they were also wired to just plug the added Jake Brake pedal in at a later date or during production.

Name:	20180312_201932.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	197734

This is the foot pedal I installed. It is a bit large which takes up some floor space so a smaller switch would be nice.

http://https://www.amazon.com/SSC-Co...rols+s100-1501

This is nothing more than a 110 volt foot pedal, on/off switch you would purchase for a sewing machine or whatever. Once opened up you can see it is just a micro switch with a common wire hooked to a NO set of contacts and a ground wire. When you step on the pedal, this switch closes and turns the appliance on. Same as for our Jake Brake.

Name:	20180313_193841.jpg
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	197735

Another angle...

Name:	20180316_190905.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	197739

Since I wanted my pedal to replace my on/off switch, I needed to give that common wire a path to what was pin 1 on the on/off switch. So I took the green ground wire off, installed a terminal and slid it onto the NC terminal in the foot switch. I have now replicated the brake on/off switch minus all the lighting that turns on when you activate that switch.

Name:	20180316_191141.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	197740

These are the two factory wires and connectors shown in the factory diagram in picture 2. The two pin connector is for lights (Brake) for some reason. Not sure why though as that is already taken care of in the original configuration and computer. The second 6 pin connector only had 5 wires installed although the diagram shows 6. 3 are for the Jake brake, 2 are for the 2 pin connector in the same picture. I removed this plug and tied my foot pedal White, Black and Green wires to it as shown in my diagram. Of note, these connectors were below the transmission shifter just ready to be used.

Name:	20180313_194537.jpg
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	197741

I then made a wood block to raise the pedal and angle it a bit more. Mounted the pedal to the block, painted it black, reassembled the pedal and mounted that to the floor.

Name:	20180317_164420.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	197742

I do need to make a new block though as this one is just not high enough to access it the way I want.

I can post more pictures later but this is where we stand now. All working normally and "in my opinion" a better way to use the Jake Brake.

If anyone knows about those two NC wires living happy together, by all means, please share with us!
Windecker

RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nice information you shared. Thank you for all the work you did on this. I will let you know when I get mine installed.

C&SL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #3

So you want to replace the on/off switch on the dash for a foot switch on the floor,? with the dash switch on the Jake brake will engage when you touch the brake pedal. how can you remember if your foot switch is on or off. IMHO this is really Dangerous.
danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:01 AM   #4

You can get a pedal here too https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5

On my coach there is a light on the dash that comes on when the jake is On.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Great project!
I agree with you. I've owned two coaches with left foot pedal Jakes, and one with a left drivers console hand switch. I much prefer the foot pedal.

I also do not like the Jake turning the cruise control completely off. I should be able to briefly interupt the cruise control.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Danny,
Sounds like you maybe have the "latching" brake which would be a nicer option than the normal Monaco on/off armrest switch I replaced.

Next time I have a computer hooked to my coach I will ask them to try to enable the latching option. On my setup before the pedal install, the on/off switch was off or on. In off, cruise would work but Jake brake would not.

In on, the cruise would not work but the Jake brake would engage anytime you let off of the throttle, regardless of if you had actuated the service brake.

With the foot pedal instead of armrest switch, the pedal is mounted to the floor on the left side of the steering wheel and is spring loaded "off". Cruise control will work normally in this position, Jake brake off.
Step on the pedal when you want to enable the Jake brake, it comes on at that point. When you let off of the pedal the Jake brake will disengage.

If cruise is on, you can tap the foot pedal to disengage the cruise but not engage the Jake. The Jake will only engage as long as you are holding the foot pedal with your left foot.

Another option would be to depress the Jake brake foot pedal and drive it like normal. At that point the cruise would not engage and the Jake would kick in anytime you left off of the throttle (if latching is not programmed). But I honestly see no reason for doing this, but, it would respond EXACTLY as the armrest switch does in the on position.

Again, to argue why one would want or not want a Jake brake pedal is not the point to this thread. It is about some details of how to install the foot pedal if you want one because the wiring diagram is a bit confusing to read.
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
So you want to replace the on/off switch on the dash for a foot switch on the floor,? with the dash switch on the Jake brake will engage when you touch the brake pedal. how can you remember if your foot switch is on or off. IMHO this is really Dangerous.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Windecker
Finally got my foot switch installed! It works great. Basically the same as your installation.
Thanks again!
C&SL
05 Sig.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Jake Brake

On my '04 Signature with a Detroit 60 I have the foot peddle that was from the factory (no on/off switch on drivers side controls, just High/Low switch). With cruise working and I step on the Jake peddle the cruise disengages but does not turn it off. When done braking all I do is hit the resume on the Smart Wheel and the cruise is working again. I do have the Vorad system on mine, I don't know if that makes a difference in how Monaco wired these coaches... But I bet the Vorad has an effect on the factory wiring..........

Safe travels
Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I love the foot switch in my 04 Dynasty (it’s not in a Dodge PU), unfortunately my 08 Navigator does not have one. OP, thanks for posting how to make a $10 foot switch work...my next project.29

The 5 wires into a 6 pin connector I found is for the front windshield shades. I did find a 3 connector plug that goes to the Jake’s on/off switch and labeled #52, 80292B and M8A. I wonder if this would be your 1, 2, 3 ???
Old 05-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Windecker, THANKS to your hand written wiring diagram I was able to hookup my foot pedal. The 52 plug with 3 wires did go to contacts 1,2,&3 on the on/off switch for the Jake. My foot switch was already setup for NC and NO so easy enough to wire it’s 3 wires into the 52 wires. Will be awhile before I take it out to get new tires but I’m not worried about it not working. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:44 AM   #11

Awesome guys! Glad it worked out.

Sorry I missed your question over the long weekend IvyLog.

Funny, I still sometimes find myself guessing if I have let off the throttle to much--meaning-- going to turn the Jake on when not wanted LOL. Of course I never have to worry about that again in reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
Windecker
Finally got my foot switch installed! It works great. Basically the same as your installation.
Thanks again!
C&SL
05 Sig.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Lol did that too

Tags
brake