Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #43

As a side note, I bought two new fans thinking I needed them to replace what was there originally. My new unit came with one new one and that is all it needed. Anyone that needs two new fans, shoot me am IM and i will sell at a good price
Paul L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #44

Installed my conversion today. Overall it was smooth and only took 3 hours. It was difficult to get the holes lined up in the freezer and refrigerator. I had to drill two of them as there was no way they would line up. Otherwise, it was smooth. Fired up the new unit and it dropped 25 degrees within a little over an hour.

Happy with it so far.
deboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboer View Post
Installed my conversion today. Overall it was smooth and only took 3 hours. It was difficult to get the holes lined up in the freezer and refrigerator. I had to drill two of them as there was no way they would line up. Otherwise, it was smooth. Fired up the new unit and it dropped 25 degrees within a little over an hour.

Happy with it so far.
I am contemplating installing the Amish cooling unit also on my failing Norcold 1211. I have watched the videos and I can see that lining up the bolts can be a major issue. I was wondering if one could insert studs into the bolt holes in the cooling unit (CU), then use the studs to protrude into the refrigerator to maintain alignment when lowering the CU after applying the foam. The studs would then be removed and replaced by the bolts inside the fridge.
For those who have done the installation, does this sound practical?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't bought one or helped with an install but I've thought the same thing. Line up all the holes with a small diameter rods lower it then put the screws in as the foam is drying. I'm thinking it should work.

This is a good link on YouTube to watch an install.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I am contemplating installing the Amish cooling unit also on my failing Norcold 1211. I have watched the videos and I can see that lining up the bolts can be a major issue. I was wondering if one could insert studs into the bolt holes in the cooling unit (CU), then use the studs to protrude into the refrigerator to maintain alignment when lowering the CU after applying the foam. The studs would then be removed and replaced by the bolts inside the fridge.
For those who have done the installation, does this sound practical?
That would work much better!!! Once you glue it is, it is hard to change the plan and re-align. If I did it over I would definitely use your idea and add alignment studs.

Everything is working great now, but 75% of the time was spent fighting the line-up. Awesome product in the end, and I am happy!
deboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Just ordered the 120v compressor system.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Just ordered the 120v compressor system.
Would be interested to hear your comments and some pictures as you go along. Keep us updated.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:32 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
JC Refrigeration Residential conversion

I dry camped at their place then in the am they came out and swapped the old with the new (kept propane option) and put in two new fans. They fired up the new and we sat for a few hours while it comes up to temp. Checked out fine. Great upgrade and I didn’t even get my hands dirty. Some things are best left to the professionals. JC is a nice guy!! Highly recommend.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:05 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Would be interested to hear your comments and some pictures as you go along. Keep us updated.
jt
I am in Arizona and am having it installed. Will post after using it for a while.
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #52

Our Norcold is working fine now but I know it’s just a matter of time. What does the 120 volt unit cost? Did you have to modify anything for it all to fit?
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #53

Ok, so my Southwind doesn't have an inverter, just a converter (as far as I can tell).
So would I be better off with the 12 volt compressor version? Or just not open the doors much when there is no 120 volts to the system. I could always run the genny periodically while driving I guess.

Duster, I think the unit is about $850 and installation at JC is around $400.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #54

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Ok, so my Southwind doesn't have an inverter, just a converter (as far as I can tell).
So would I be better off with the 12 volt compressor version? Or just not open the doors much when there is no 120 volts to the system. I could always run the genny periodically while driving I guess.

Duster, I think the unit is about $850 and installation at JC is around $400.
I am looking to switch to a JR compressor unit for my Dometic 8.0 cu ft top freezer model and am wondering the same thing between 12v or 120 AC. OUr Dometic was installed in 2012 when the original went bad. This one will usually keep things somewhat cool when it isn't hot outside but we have days where it is 50 or over inside fridge.

We do not have an inverter but also do not boondock much, maybe an overnight here and there. Was thinking running the generator a couple hours a day would keep everything cool. Would appreciate hearing from others with their experience.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
...watching.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #56

I made the conversion last September (2018) to the 120V compressor model. Our coach is a 2006 Monaco Diplomat. No regrets works great. We now operate at lower settings than the Norcold cooling unit. We use both Inverter and generator while traveling.
Admiral RVr
AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote