Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Jump starting

I need advice on jump starting my 2006 Diplomat

It has 2 twelve volt batts and 4 six volts

All have been sitting for many months

Got the gen-set running but there is not enough juice to fire up engine, even with battery boost switch depressed

Need to move the coach ASAP

Any ideas?
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If this breast is not plugged in, batt boost is not gonna help. Likely the coach batts are low as well. My genset charges the chassis batt, so let it run for a while. If jumping is necessary Positive to positive, neg from the good battery to a chassis ground of the vehicle with the bad batt. Don't connect to the bad batt as the bad batt will absorb all the juice before the starter can get it.

Really bad for the batts to let them get this low
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #3

The two 12 volt batteries are for the engine, and should be in parallel, giving you 12 volts for starting and for your chassis accessories. The four 6 volt batteries are for the coach, and should be connected with two in series paralleled with the other two in series, again giving you 12 volts for the coach systems.

You can simply use your jumper cables from your vehicle or jumper battery and clip them onto either of the two 12 volt batteries and you should be able to start your engine.

Remember to use the proper safety precautions for jumping a one battery from another.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
If this breast is not plugged in, batt boost is not gonna help. Likely the coach batts are low as well. My genset charges the chassis batt, so let it run for a while. If jumping is necessary Positive to positive, neg from the good battery to a chassis ground of the vehicle with the bad batt. Don't connect to the bad batt as the bad batt will absorb all the juice before the starter can get it.

Really bad for the batts to let them get this low
X2
Like TonyMac said. Jumper to the starting batteries ( 2 12 volt batts). You may have to let the car alternator charge the starting batteries for a little while.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #5

I would let the coach engine do the charging, as the coach alternator is rated for far more amperage than the alternator on a car. Then, I would hope that you will be taking your coach to somewhere where you can have access to shore power to charge all of your batteries, fully, using the on-board charging system. If your coach doesn't charge the chassis batteries from shore power, I would put a separate battery charger on them until they are fully charged, as well.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

You may also need to check batteries to see if any one of them has an open cell, if so none of them will charge, hope this helps, if they are sealed batteries you can't add fluid, but if they are screw tops you can add some fluid acid, be careful doing so..remember you can add water to acid but you can't add acid to water, it would be like droping water on a hot stove..again be careful. regards, Ingemar
Ingemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #7
YC1

The battery boost switch would need to be depressed for 30 minutes or so assuming that solenoid is actually activating and is actually still good. They are notorious for failing.

With the generator off, connect one jumper cable between the positive terminal on the 12 volt batteries and the 12 volt terminal on the 6 volters. Then start the generator and let it run a good hour. You can then safely turn the key and not worry about the boost button. This will be a mechanical jumper and carry plenty of power if you don't use the cheapie charging type cables.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Good tips, thanks

I have with me a voltage meter and a clamp on amp meter.

With those can I get a good test of condition
on each of my six batteries?
Old 08-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Good tips, thanks

Guessing that you have no option to plug it in???? If it were me, I would hook the jumper cables up to your house batteries in the 12v configuration, and charge them up enough to fire up the generator........then let you generator run and your inverter/charger will charge up you Chassis batteries and your house batteries. A large load on the engines alternator will really heat it up to the point you won't be able to even touch it, and take the life right out of it, or maybe cause it to fail. I just had mine rebuilt, guessing from a chassis"Shorted out Battery" .....and the alternator operating at 100% out put..........melted down inside and failed........
Alternator's are, by design, to "Maintain" batteries, not charge them, especially from a "Dead Point" !
I would have them load tested after a FULL CHARGE........to make sure they are still good.........."Dead" takes the life right out of them.....
You can just about replace all the batteries for the cost of one of these big alternators......
Old 08-31-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Good tips, thanks

No, but you can eliminate some issues.

With the generator off and no shoreline, measure each bank of batteries.

With the generator on, measure each bank. If they are not the same then you need to do a test of the BIRD solenoid.

This is probably a large solenoid on the back of your battery compartment. Measure the violet wire with the generator running. It should be close to the battery voltage of the 6 volt bank.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'd not use the engine alternator to charge the batteries, that is not what an alternator is designed to do. It is designed to keep the batteries topped off, period. Smoke you engine alternator and you will be hating life. Get the genset started and use it or a charger to charge the batteries. Then, figure out how to not let the batts get this low.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
You may also need to check batteries to see if any one of them has an open cell, if so none of them will charge, hope this helps, if they are sealed batteries you can't add fluid, but if they are screw tops you can add some fluid acid, be careful doing so..remember you can add water to acid but you can't add acid to water, it would be like droping water on a hot stove..again be careful. regards, Ingemar
You only need to add distilled water, never add battery acid to an already filled cell as there's already enough acid in them. It's just the water that boils off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Guessing that you have no option to plug it in???? If it were me, I would hook the jumper cables up to your house batteries in the 12v configuration, and charge them up enough to fire up the generator........then let you generator run and your inverter/charger will charge up you Chassis batteries and your house batteries. A large load on the engines alternator will really heat it up to the point you won't be able to even touch it, and take the life right out of it, or maybe cause it to fail. I just had mine rebuilt, guessing from a chassis"Shorted out Battery" .....and the alternator operating at 100% out put..........melted down inside and failed........
Alternator's are, by design, to "Maintain" batteries, not charge them, especially from a "Dead Point" !
I would have them load tested after a FULL CHARGE........to make sure they are still good.........."Dead" takes the life right out of them.....
You can just about replace all the batteries for the cost of one of these big alternators......

Yes, I have heard that our coach alternators can suffer from drawing
too much current from them.

Do some of them have thermal protection?

Have any of you thought about adding a heat sensor to monitor
how much stress is on yours?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
No, but you can eliminate some issues.

With the generator off and no shoreline, measure each bank of batteries.

With the generator on, measure each bank. If they are not the same then you need to do a test of the BIRD solenoid.

This is probably a large solenoid on the back of your battery compartment. Measure the violet wire with the generator running. It should be close to the battery voltage of the 6 volt bank.
If I understand you, I should be seeing 12 volts between that violet wire terminal of the solenoid and ground, correct?

And that should match the voltage of the combined voltage of my four 6 volt
batt bank.