Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #1

Jump starting an LP GenSet

We are trying to jump start our LP onan genset on our 1998 diesel HR Endeavor. The positive post on starter for genset is sealed, so how would one jump start this genset starter?
Thanks
buddyholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #2

Make sure your house batteries have fluid above the plates of the battery.
Start your MH engine, let it run 10 minutes, hit the Battery Boost switch and then the gennie start button.

Best of luck.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi BuddyHolly. Love your music.

I'll embellish what Dave is saying:
On most of our rigs, the starting voltage for the genset is the house batteries, but a small few rigs out there use the chassis battery as the source for starting the genet.

So when you say "jump start", it makes me think that your troubleshooting a "non start" problem, but you know that your house battery is charged. Am I getting close?
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #4

Hi robi and thanx for your response. That's is correct, I had no problem in the past starting the rv or the geni with the "aux batt" rocker switch. So now when I try to use the rocker switch to start either one the dash lights go on and off and the low air buzzer goes on and off. Its like there may be a short or something is not allowing the electric to go through. Ive never had this problem before. And the rocker switch fell apart so I jumped around it to get the same results. So it was suggested was the we could jump start the geni to possibly charge the other set of batteries so that we start and move the rv.
buddyholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Most likely the big solenoid in the battery bay has gone bad. Jump around it and see if that solves the problem.

LEN
Old 03-18-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many places on the motor home where you can find that wire, But alas, i can not tell you the location of them.. For example, the house disconnect solenoid (that's my 2nd choice)

on my generator the post is not sealed. In fact, sealed posts are kind of uncommon, CAPPED posts, on the other hand, are common, mine is capped. the cap comes off easily.