RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #57

Ditto on the garage/hangar envy comment!

Great project and a perfect coach for Oshkosh.

My first concern would be structural damage other than generator mounts. it's a sturdy chassis, but the slightest tweak or misalignment will make it a challenge to drive and repair. I imagine you've already thought of that, but I mention it nonetheless.

Frankly, $6800 for a useable front cap seems like a reasonable expense in the context of an otherwise highly cost-effective project. And it's nothing compared to the price of airplane parts. What's the delivery cost?

As an EAA member, I personally hate fiberglass work and would never consider trying to fabricate a cap for this RV. But my primary reason for that would be that I'd end up with a "hybrid" RV" that would have next to no value on the used market. Unlike experimental aircraft and hot rods, homebuilt RV's attract curiosity, but not buyers. If you're OK with that, fabricate away! It will certainly be one of a kind. If you do it, make it a little pointy with a propeller and spinner out front!

crg96738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 06:07 PM   #58

Bless your heart you have more &@&@ them I do have fun

Zzotte

Old 05-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #59

🤜scored🤛

Great find, looks on good shape minus front cap. Be sure to post photos of your progress and or vlog it.
nomad1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #60

Country Coach Owners Club
McKinney RV Sales and Service, Red Bay, Alabama
It sure about what you need but we were able to locate a door and other Country Coach parts at the above address.
ninjalobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #61

I would suggest you call around to the RV salvage yards. You might find one out there.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
My coach was missing the battery disconnects when I got it and batteries were wired direct... (which is one reason the house batteries were completely dead) Just got an email that my new disconnects I ordered are waiting for me in my mailbox at home. Once these are installed again and while I have coach in my shop long term while repairing it, can I leave plugged into shore power 24/7 but with batteries disconnected to avoid having inverter constantly attempting to charge? If so, would 12 volt things inside coach still work using the inverter converter or do the batteries need to be in the circuit to run 12 volt items?

Right now my inverter hums when shore power is hooked up and my 6volt house batteries are constantly being charged... am guessing it is bad for the batteries to be cooking/charging 24/7.
The converter (charger) depends on the batteries to be a filtering load. It's not advised to run the converter without batteries. But check the owners guide.

The hum comes when the batteries are discharged around 50%-60% or so. Most modern converters in RVs won't try to charge a dead battery to prevent damage. The hum isn't a worry.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 PM   #63

If you keep that propane/electric refrig you will want to add this for safety’s sake: https://www.arprv.com/arp-versus-norcold-recall.php
Old 05-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #64

But I see you have a Dometic instead of Norfolk. Not sure if the above idea works for Dometic?
Old 05-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Im with you. I cant see myself not having a propane fridge. Having to run the generator constantly would get on my nerves.
Agreed

I don’t like hearing the generator no matter how quiet it is
Old 05-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Don’t have to run the generator much for a residential fridge. Mine will run for two days easy off the batteries.
Chargerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:39 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
Crazy question and I doubt anyone will have a definitive answer, but does anyone know if any other Monaco front caps are physically the same size in regard to overall width, height and 2 pc windshield size/shape as the '03-'04 Camelots? Even though it would not have the same dual headlights as the 03-04 Camelots, I am thinking it would possibly be easier to locate a cap or partial cap from a more common Monaco?

Below is a pic from the 2004 Camelot brochure and is what mine should look like.
Most RV salvage rigs are good up front with major fire damage in the rear or the mid-ships fridge. Try Arizona RV Salvage outside Phoenix. Also NW RV.
Elevensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:20 AM   #68

I too am a glutton for projects. Our 97 Beaver Patriot was a project but not this much of one. I will be following this as you post, can't wait to see how she turns out!
97Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 AM   #69

I too have a formal engineering background, but nowhere near yours! Im quite envious! I read many of the posts regarding your project. I too agree 6800 isn't bad for the front cap. Yeah you could fab the piece but DANG that would be time consuming. All the best and please keep posting as I and many here want to hear all about it. What a garage! I wish were neighbors!!
Harris
rcnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:37 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2003 Monaco Diplomat 38pst. I have fixed a lot mostly little things along the way. I will be on the your sideline, don't hesitate to put it out on the forum. IRV2 has saved me thousands of repair dollars. Oh and I do like your garage. One thing to think about on roof, Is there anyway you can use a flex solar panel to patch it with.

Good Luck It makes me tired to think about a project like this.

MinnesotaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camelot, copart, monaco, salvage, wrecked