Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up Just Upgraded my Magnadyne Radio

I upgraded my radio just this past weekend with the new Magnadyne M1-LCD. It fits into the same 1.5 DIN dash cut-out and is loaded with great features. Everybody is bashing the Magnadyne because of the DVD problem. But upon replacing my radio I confirmed exactly what the problem is, as explained to me by Magnadyne some time ago. The two power pins in the harnes on the back of the M9900DVDS are too small for the harness causing a loose power connection. When DVD's are played more power is required, and the loose connection sometimes manifests itself in the form of faulty DVD operation. The replacement M1-LCD unit uses the same harness, so it is almost a direct plug-in replacement. However, it also has larger pins for the power leads which fit the harness perfectly, and eliminates the old problem. (More info here.)

I believe that the new M1-LCD is a great replacement for the original M9900 series Magnadyne radio. It is loaded with features including...
  • Much larger 7" LCD touch screen replaces most controls. Intuitive to operate.
  • Seamless integration and touch controls for AM, FM, Weather, Sirius Radio, iPod, SD memory card, CD, DVD screen and movie controls, and more. Unit automatically switches to proper mode when it senses any new input.
  • Several front panel inputs including AV mini plug, USB, and SD card (for JPG/MP3/WMA music or pictures)
  • More rear connections including additional AUX input, output, composite color out, optional GPS navigation system, four cameras, Apple iPod, and CD changer.
Here is a PDF information sheet that outlines all the features.

Click here for my write-up on the radio and the installation, indcuding pictures.

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Rob.. so the iPod attachment is coming from the backside of the radio...correct? Do you know if it is also charging the iPod when it is plugged in? Is it a special cord..or will any extra iPod cords work?

Nice write-up by the way - as usual.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Rob.. so the iPod attachment is coming from the backside of the radio...correct? Do you know if it is also charging the iPod when it is plugged in? Is it a special cord..or will any extra iPod cords work?
MM,

Yes, the cable comes from Magnadyne. I paid $19.95 for it. It plugs into a round DIN plug in the back of the unit. I will store it in a pocket I installed along side the driver's table when not in use. The iPod would play, but you wouldn't be able to control it with a regular USB cable.

Unfortunately, it does NOT charge my new iPod Nano 4G player, but it does do everything else. That is because Apple changed the specs on their cabling last year with their 4th generation players. They went from a firewire charging system to straigh USB. Everyone is complaining on the iPod web forums that their accessories are not charging their new iPods. I'll bet this cable will charge my wife's older iPod. I'll try it and let you know.

If it does charge my wife's older iPod, then I'm gonna pickup one of these gadgets, which should reslove the problem.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Rob,
Excellent write up, as always. The new Magnadyne sounds like it should be very functional. Lots of gadgets can be hooked up to it. On their web site they show M1-lcd and M1-lcd2 Do you know what is the difference between the two. Is the interface cable for the Sirius sat radio available thru Magnadyne or another source?

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,

Magnadyne told me that the M1-LCD and LCD2 have the same functionality, but the LCD2 has a smaller screen. It was designed for RV's built on a smaller chassis where dash space is a concern - specifically some of the GM chassis.

The sat interface cable comes in the box with the Sirius SC-C1 radio. It looks exactly the same as the original one, but must be wired differently, as the original cable will not work. Magnadyne sells an SC-C1M version of the sat receiver with their name on it, but any SC-C1 receiver will work fine, right out of the box.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
I'll bet this cable will charge my wife's older iPod. I'll try it and let you know. If it does charge my wife's older iPod, then I'm gonna pickup one of these gadgets, which should reslove the problem.
Update: The Magnadyne M1-LCD DOES charge (and control) my wife's iPod Classic. Presumably then, the only iPods that would need the adaptor to enable charging would be the iPod touch 2G and the nano 4G (and, of course, future models).
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Update: The Magnadyne M1-LCD DOES charge (and control) my wife's iPod Classic. Presumably then, the only iPods that would need the adaptor to enable charging would be the iPod touch 2G and the nano 4G (and, of course, future models).
..so then...it sounds like you will be keeping this unit...hey guys...if anyone is looking for a plain old replacement to their M9900DVD ..I would suggest contacting Robin_M via PM..I am sure he did not smash it up when he took it out. You mentioned the Sirius being a little different - so does that mean you have a Sirius receiver that would work with your old M900DVD too, Rob?
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
..so then...it sounds like you will be keeping this unit...hey guys...if anyone is looking for a plain old replacement to their M9900DVD ..I would suggest contacting Robin_M via PM..I am sure he did not smash it up when he took it out. You mentioned the Sirius being a little different - so does that mean you have a Sirius receiver that would work with your old M900DVD too, Rob?
Thanks for asking, MM. Yes I do have both the head unit and the Magnadyne Sirius receiver that goes with it. I've listed them in the iRV2 Want Ad section HERE. (Any member of the Monaco forum gets a discount. )
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Might consider the newer Magnadyne if it came without a DVD player. The touchscreen would be a nice to have, both for the larger screen and also the large buttons on the screen.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,

Yeah, the large buttons are what I'm going to appreciate. They are going to be easy to use while driving, without having to hunt, or without even giving the screen a second glance. I liked the large buttons on the original radio, but these are huge by comparison, and all brightly labeled.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I did not have the DVD Magnadyne and never used the CD portion of the unit. Too bad they had a poor DVD player. The AM/FM was a little weak but never used it anyway. The integrated AUX (for XM and IPOD) input and WX radio made it a decent unit. Sounds like they may have a winner on their hand. They solved the somewhat cumbersome buttons and replaced them with an intuitive touchscreen. Keep us posted Rob on how it performs. I know you wont pull your punches.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 08-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Mark,

I never experienced the DVD problem with my original unit. I did ask Magnadyne about it, and they didn't pull any punches either. They said they are aware of the problem and explained to me that it was caused by a faulty harness connection. As soon as I pulled my old unit, and took a good look at it, I could see the problem immediately. You would never notice it if you weren't specifically looking for it. More info here. They resolved the issue in the new model by including the correct size pins on the back of the radio for the two power leads.

I did run into one sound problem, which I've since described on the web site. Output from the Aux leads overpowered the home theater amp that Monaco had installed in the top AV closet. I pulled that amp out and connected the speakers directly to a the speaker harness that was also in that closet and it seems to sound as good as it did with the amp in place, even with no 5.1 simulation. (Don't know how good that Monaco installed amp was anyway.) The new Magnadyne actually has all the connections for a true 5.1 surround sound output. Using it would require running a new harness from the dash to the top AV cabinet. Someday I'll get around to that. I want to find good speakers first to replace the front three. DW says they've got to be white and blend in with the ceiling. You cannot install any speakers up there larger than 5.25, as there is nothing to anchor larger speakers to. I'm still looking.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
One of our biggest complaints about our Magnadyne is the remote control. It is basically useless. Unless you hold it just right, and are within 5 feet or so of the unit, it doesn't work. Usually once I'm close enough to the unit for the remote to respond, I'm also close enough I don't need the remote anymore. Does the remote for this new Magnadyne work any better?
CheetahGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Good question, CheetahGirl. I haven't tried it, so I don't know. Probably works about the same, though, because the remote is very similar with the same 3v watch battery. I think those remotes are designed to be used in a car or truck.