Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #1

Key start problem

A1995 Monaco Windsor 32' -- I can start from the back, but not from the ignition key. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this coach? Even one for a dynasty would probably help.
I'm getting 12v from the starter contacts on the ignition key, but can't find the hot wire anywhere on the firewall under the bed. Any help will be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2, sorry your here with problems , if your ignition switch is passing power in the start position then you probably have a bad starter relay, to avoid over loading the ignition switch there is a relay installed to transfer the 12v from the battery to the starter solenoid on the starter, the relay is power by the ignition switch and grounded by the trans controller when your in neutral. I've had to replace 3 in 3 years on my coach.
When you say you can start it from the back , are you jumping wire at the starter ?
Cummins engine ?
I'll post a picture of a common starter relay so you know what to look for.
BRB.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #3

Here is a picture , your relay may have an all metal housing , and when found if you jump from one of the large terminals to the other the engine should crank over.
Small terminals are ignition power and ground.

When replacing , make sure you match the numbers exactly , some of these relays the small terminals have different functions.
I have the Freightliner / Cat part numbers but your may be different.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Does your coach have the two rear switches like Dynasty's do? One being a three position switch marked front and rear. The other being a start switch. Or are you jumping at the starter solenoid?

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If it can start from the back switch then how can the starter relay be bad?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If it can start from the back switch then how can the starter relay be bad?

Sorry , if I'm out of the loop on the "rear start", before this post I didn't know any chassis maker put this in. I had to wire in my own, even had to find the rear diagnostic connector and re-position it for use.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

start problem

More info: cummins diesel. There is a box inside the rear hatch that has "front - Off - rear" switch and a "start" switch. Ignition key must be on to start from "rear". Did not jump anything. Engine will start from the rear position.

On the rear firewall under the bed is a soleniod with a hot on one side from a breaker on the hot ignition strip. It will activate with the rear start switch. If I activate it with a jumper, starter does not engage. Output goes to N.O. contacts on a relay (on the firewall) marked "neutral safety" Not sure where the brown wire goes from this relay. The relay is energised with either 'front' or 'rear' switch but not 'off' position.

The 'front-rear' box has four wires. Two brown, two yellow. Can't trace them without opening a LARGE bundle of wires.

The solenoid mounted on the starter has a yellow and a brown wire (plus the battery feed).
If I knew where the hot wire off the 'start' position ended, I might have an answer to my problem. I'm hoping somebody has a wiring diagram, none of the nearby shops has one or at least they say they don't.

Any advise???, Thanks, Steve
Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 99 Dynasty with the same setup. Fortunately, I never had a staring issue, so I never had to figure out the circuit.

I am assuming that the three position switch receives voltage from either the key while in start position, or the rear start button, depending on its position. Since you can get to the 4 wires at the switch, put it in "rear" position and see which wires have voltage when pushing start switch button from the rear. Then try the same in the "off" position. Only one of the two should now be hot while pushing the start button.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find the two yellow wires operate the starter from the rear. Or, the brown pair. Next have someone try starting from the key while you are checking the voltage on the opposite pair. If nothing, then verify that the ignition switch is or isn't sending voltage out the start wire.

You need a start signal to the rear three way switch. You are getting it from the rear start button. Now you need to find out if you are getting a signal from the key switch. Or, are you getting it to the three way switch and the switch is not passing it on, being a bad three way?

My starter solenoid wire is white, with label, as all the other wires in the coach are. Sorry, I'm no help there. Maybe some of the other folks with a schematic can also check color of solenoid wire coming off the back of the ignition switch and report in. Then you can see if you are getting voltage, or not, on that wire.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote