Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

King Domes that bad?!

So my new to me 06 HR PAQ has a Kind dome installed on it. Looks like previous owner wired it so that the main coax comes straight from Sat into the receiver. (bypassing what appears as the factory hook ups). I got the new box in, called dish to activate and to my surprise the dish cant lock onto the Sat?! I can hear it spinning around and doing its thing but never locks on. it will stop for a minute or two then keeps going again. on the tv, it got all the way to downloading the guide..showed a channel for about a second then went back to "complete signal lost"?!!? i read that i should try a new coax cable...only one i had at the house was a old one. i tried it and same thing. im gonna try to get a newer one from work and test that out. has this happend to anyone? any help or pointers would be great! have a trip planned in 10 days and would like to have it going for that!
SMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
King Domes that bad?!

Not sure how old the dome is. This spring Dish made changes to the way the signal is encoded. This rendered many domes unusable. Some domes can have firmware upgraded, some became poor boat anchors. Our Winegard became a boat anchor.
Give King a call and make sure your dish is still functional with Dish.

Steve
Old 07-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Not sure how old the dome is. This spring Dish made changes to the way the signal is encoded. This rendered many domes unusable. Some domes can have firmware upgraded, some became poor boat anchors. Our Winegard became a boat anchor.
Give King a call and make sure your dish is still functional with Dish.

Steve
manufacture date says Jan of 2008. Would that make it fall into the "old" category? Of course king isnt open today! i will call tomorrow.

May i ask, what did you do with yours once you found it was out dated? did you replace with something else, if so what was it?
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Where are you located?

I have a King Dome and used the Dish network when I had it active. When we started traveling North on our way to Alaska in 2009 we started to loose the ability to get a signal. Once we got the Glacier National Park we couldn't pick anything up. I called both King Dome and Dish, no cure. We stopped even trying and din't use the thing from July 1 to Sept 15 when we got back home I had an oustanding bill for a service I couldn't use. Very upset, "They" said I should have suspended it when we could't pick up a signal, no one suggested this was an option during my phone calls. I was very upset and canceled my service and have lived with out cable or satellite since relying on OTA.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winegard said any of their domes older than 2012 was potentially affected. I installed a Winegard Travlr and really like it much more so than the dome we did have.

Steve
Old 07-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Where are you located?

I have a King Dome and used the Dish network when I had it active. When we started traveling North on our way to Alaska in 2009 we started to loose the ability to get a signal. Once we got the Glacier National Park we couldn't pick anything up. I called both King Dome and Dish, no cure. We stopped even trying and din't use the thing from July 1 to Sept 15 when we got back home I had an oustanding bill for a service I couldn't use. Very upset, "They" said I should have suspended it when we could't pick up a signal, no one suggested this was an option during my phone calls. I was very upset and canceled my service and have lived with out cable or satellite since relying on OTA.
i am located in Reno, NV. Im hoping if i switch out the coax cable it will fix it!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Winegard said any of their domes older than 2012 was potentially affected. I installed a Winegard Travlr and really like it much more so than the dome we did have.

Steve
darn! i hope that isnt the case for me. does the Winegard Travlr find it own signal? is it really worth the almost 1500??
Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
King Domes that bad?!

Yes, Travlr is automatic. Turn it on and it deploys and locks on. It is basically just like any full size dish on a home. So you get all the same features. It locks on to the 3 dish satellites so, no moving between satellites like a dome. With the larger dish rain fade or some leaves will not block the signal.
I think I paid around $1300 and installed myself. My next coach will have a Travelr also if that day ever comes.

Steve
Old 07-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

My 08 Diplomat had the tracking King Dome worked great siting still but wouldn't track called King Dome and was told it was in the unit that powered the dome and that the company that made it was out of business couldn't find one anywhere. As tracking in motion is important to me I replaced it with a Winegard Road Trip T4 the newest just released by Winegard off EBay for $1250. KVH also has one but it's about $1000 more😎
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAR View Post
darn! i hope that isnt the case for me. does the Winegard Travlr find it own signal? is it really worth the almost 1500??
2 word answer.
Yes & Yes
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
2 word answer.
Yes & Yes
thanks for all the feedback! if this new coax doesn't work i will try a few more things to see if i can get it going.

now you guys have me super confused! do i go with the Winegard SK-1000 TRAV'LER…or the Winegard RT2000T..or KING VQ4500 Tailgater Portable/Roof??
Old 07-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I don't have that dish, but the owners manual that came with mine had a map with some numbers on it based on how far north or south you are. Since mine works here in Texas I didn't pay close attention to it, but I had the impression you had to make some type of adjustment as you traveled north or south.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a used 2013 and it had the King Dome. I was all excited to be able to use it down the road, but

a) It was only the stationary king dome as I found after looking up the model
b) It just didn't work - like yours it spun around and never locked.

I had to foresight to pull the SK-1000 off our 5th wheel trade, so it is now installed and I am a happy guy. We use the SK-1000 with Dish Hopper and Joeys.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Just installed the King Tailgater vq4500 by DISH. Had DISH come out and deliver the Tailgater and 2 receivers. He installed the front receiver and hooked things up temporarily to make sure everything worked. The system works great and easy to use. He supplied ample amounts of dual coaxial cable and fittings. Since this is a older coach i ran all new coaxial. To much old stuff with no idea what the old wires were going to. That took me awhile to find a way to route it. I used the ceiling air duct work for the main run and a overhead audio speaker and ceiling light chases to make the final run. Now to do the rear bedroom !!! Each receiver has its own cable run....no splitters are to be used.

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote