Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #1

Koni Shocks

I'm not totally pleased with the ride on my 2007 Dynasty. I am thinking of installing koni shocks. Anyone have this same issue and if so what was your solution? Thanks for any info.

Rich
MonacoRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #2

I have the Koni FSD's on my 02 HR Endeavor. Its like a new ride.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Rich, this mod has been done by several folks with your/our chassis, RR8R, with good results. We have a 2007 Endeavor that we put the Koni's on all around, 8 shocks - $$$, and think the ride is improved. I am sure you know that the Roadmaster chassis is a rough rider under most circumstances so you will not get a nice smooth ride with any mod in my opinion. All that said we felt the Koni FSDs were worth the money and we have put about 12,000 miles on since we installed.

Lew
Old 10-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #4

Smile Shocks

I've just replaced the stock shocks on my Camelot (RR8S chassis), with Bilsteins, and realized a huge improvement. Monaco's original shocks were Monroe's, and after 25K, they were junk. We started to experience the front end bottoming out, as it bounced (porposed), and the Bilsteins have eliminated that problem. If you have Monroe's, Bilstein, Koni, or Road King shocks should be a significant improvement.
Dan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Rich,

Glad you joined
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Rich,
It sounds like your problem can be fixed by buying a new Signature.

Hahahahah!

Del
hardy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM   #7

Rich,

What is your complaint with the ride? Is it stiffness; side roll; porpoising, expansion joint jarring or something else? I'm pretty sure you have Bilstein shocks which are highly regarded. I know that Bilstein is re-valving a shock for the roadmaster chassis because of the complaint of harsh ride from stiff shocks. Konis receive generally high marks from Monaco owners who have installed them. In my view the Koni is engineered using technology which is inferior to Bilstein's mono-tube but sometimes real life experience trumps technology.

You have the series s chassis which is top of the line and very stiff & roadworthy. I have an '03 sig which is the same chassis. I took it to Alaska last year and was very happy with its performance over very rough roads. I still have the OEM shocks.

Please let us know what you do and why you did it. I will be faced with replacing shocks shortly & frankly am unsure what to do.

Steve
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan C View Post
I've just replaced the stock shocks on my Camelot (RR8S chassis), with Bilsteins, and realized a huge improvement. Monaco's original shocks were Monroe's, and after 25K, they were junk. We started to experience the front end bottoming out, as it bounced (porposed), and the Bilsteins have eliminated that problem. If you have Monroe's, Bilstein, Koni, or Road King shocks should be a significant improvement.
Dan,
I assume this was with the new Bilsteins that have been revalved for the Roadmaster chassis?

'05 Safari Cheetah
rbeachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:52 AM   #9

Sorry for the delay in replying. The shocks I purchased, are made specifically for the RR8R and RR8S roadmaster chassis. They have the stud on top of the shock, instead of the traditional eyelet, which is on the bottom. I had several conversations with Bilstein before purchasing. The part numbers are......
front - BE5-B402-HOrear - BE5-B403-HO Some of the parts reference books show a different part # for the Camelot. That part # is BE5-2500-M1, and it's wrong. I know because I had that shock shipped first, only to discover it will not fit the Diplomat or Camelot. As I posted earlier, the original shocks on my 07 Camelot were Monroe's, and after 25K, they were useless. The Bilsteins were an incredible improvement. Koni's and/or Road King's may also be a huge upgrade, but I'm happy with the Bilsteins. Dan
Dan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #10

Cool Koni shocks

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. My major complaint was a harsh ride and sloppy steering. I just today picked my motorhome up from Colton Truck and was advised that my harsh ride was not from my shocks but from my rear air bags which were set an inch too high. To cure the slop in my steering, was a simple solution also. They adjusted the steering box. They made the gear about a quarter of an inch tighter. Wow, what a difference. I'm glad I didn't rush out and buy new shocks because I definately don't need them. Thanks for your comments. THis is my third Monaco and once again I am pleased with my Dynasty. Hope to see you at a Monaco rally soon. We are going to the Tucson rally this month.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveownby View Post
Rich,

What is your complaint with the ride? Is it stiffness; side roll; porpoising, expansion joint jarring or something else? I'm pretty sure you have Bilstein shocks which are highly regarded. I know that Bilstein is re-valving a shock for the roadmaster chassis because of the complaint of harsh ride from stiff shocks. Konis receive generally high marks from Monaco owners who have installed them. In my view the Koni is engineered using technology which is inferior to Bilstein's mono-tube but sometimes real life experience trumps technology.

You have the series s chassis which is top of the line and very stiff & roadworthy. I have an '03 sig which is the same chassis. I took it to Alaska last year and was very happy with its performance over very rough roads. I still have the OEM shocks.

Please let us know what you do and why you did it. I will be faced with replacing shocks shortly & frankly am unsure what to do.

Steve
MonacoRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #11

Hey Rich,

I'm really glad a good shop solved your problem. Incorrect ride height will cause both ride & handling problems. You have a really great coach & I hope you have good times & safe travels.

Let us know your impression of the first Monaco LLC rally.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
Rich, this mod has been done by several folks with your/our chassis, RR8R, with good results. We have a 2007 Endeavor that we put the Koni's on all around, 8 shocks - $$$, and think the ride is improved. I am sure you know that the Roadmaster chassis is a rough rider under most circumstances so you will not get a nice smooth ride with any mod in my opinion. All that said we felt the Koni FSDs were worth the money and we have put about 12,000 miles on since we installed.

Lew
I agree with Lew. The roadmaster is, by nature, a pretty rough ride. The Koni's helped some but where I saw the best improvement was the damping of up and down movement, body roll and a feeling of better control. The old Monroes were removed at 18k miles and were pretty much shot. Rolling down some of the old concrete segmented interstates were horrible and dips resulted in near earth orbit. The Konis really tamed the coach. I played around with the road height, mindful of the driveshaft angle, and achieved a little better ride. I've pretty much given up ever achieving a smooth ride with the roadmaster. Ride control excellent, road segment and pothole jarring poor.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote