Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like I'll save my money and pass. Thanks for the updates

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Article in May 2009 "Motorhome" mag tested 3 shocks, Koni, Roadking, Bilstein. Rated Bilstein best overall.

Anybody have any comment or experiance with the Bilsteins?

Ideas on where to purchase?

Thanks, DB

Dancing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
Article in May 2009 "Motorhome" mag tested 3 shocks, Koni, Roadking, Bilstein. Rated Bilstein best overall.

Anybody have any comment or experiance with the Bilsteins?

Ideas on where to purchase?
Fleetwood coaches come with Bilsteins. Don't know why Monaco never did that. Bilsteins are far superior to the stock Monroe shocks that we get. I had them on my last coach, a 99 Discovery. That coach offered a very smooth ride, although it was on a Freightliner chassis with much larger air bags than Monaco/Roadmaster uses.

As for purchase, shox.com always seems to offer a good price. I bought the Koni shocks for my Dip from them.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
All this talk of Caymans having a harsh ride has me thinking what if you changed the air bags to a larger diameter. Larger diameter should mean less pressure at the same ride height and theoretically a softer ride. Don't know if its possible but just an idea. What I know is that my Dad's '98 Endeavor on a freightliner rides softer than my RR8R.

Here is a site that has air bags.
http://www.truckspring.com/air-springs_336.html
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldvectra View Post
What I know is that my Dad's '98 Endeavor on a freightliner rides softer than my RR8R.
oldvectra,

Yep. Same with my 99 Discovery on the Freightliner XC chassis. It also rode smoother than my RR8R chassis which has twice the number of air bags. The difference is that Frieghtliner uses heavier duty bags that are about twice the volume of the smaller bags Roadmaster uses on their raised rail chassis. Not bashing Roadmaster here. Just stating a fact based on my own experience.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:42 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
oldvectra,

Yep. Same with my 99 Discovery on the Freightliner XC chassis. It also rode smoother than my RR8R chassis which has twice the number of air bags. The difference is that Frieghtliner uses heavier duty bags that are about twice the volume of the smaller bags Roadmaster uses on their raised rail chassis. Not bashing Roadmaster here. Just stating a fact based on my own experience.
Its a trade off. The Freightliner with the larger single bags will have a better ride but will lean and sway more in the turns. The stiffer Roadmaster will have a harsher ride but will corner better and has very little roll when going around turns.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

Thinking back, that may well be true.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
JDT

Maybe comparing apples to oranges as the RR4R and RR8R are 2 different beasts but I put the Koni FSD's on my 05 Ambassador with the RR8R in January. My coach handled very well with the stock shocks. I also have a Safe-T-Plus, which helps. My complaint was not so much the sway and dip but the harsh ride on rough roads. It was rather bone jarring and I worried about stuff coming loose.

We took our first trip of the season to San Antonio (Kerrville) a few weeks ago, an 1100 mile round trip. The whole way we talked about the fact this may be the best upgrade we've done. The harsh, jolting ride is gone. You hear it hit the bumps and joints but you don't feel it. It levels out much quicker on the dips and has noticeably less sway. I also think it tracks a little better. We never did get pushed much by the big trucks but it is not even noticeable now.

I did a lot of research before I bought and finally decided the Koni's gave me the best chance for getting what I wanted, a smoother ride. I am so glad it worked for us because wasting $1144 is not my thing.

Jim
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I am so glad it worked for us because wasting $1144 is not my thing.
Jim, Ya got THAT right. Especially today.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Maybe comparing apples to oranges as the RR4R and RR8R are 2 different beasts but I put the Koni FSD's on my 05 Ambassador with the RR8R in January. My coach handled very well with the stock shocks. I also have a Safe-T-Plus, which helps. My complaint was not so much the sway and dip but the harsh ride on rough roads. It was rather bone jarring and I worried about stuff coming loose.

We took our first trip of the season to San Antonio (Kerrville) a few weeks ago, an 1100 mile round trip. The whole way we talked about the fact this may be the best upgrade we've done. The harsh, jolting ride is gone. You hear it hit the bumps and joints but you don't feel it. It levels out much quicker on the dips and has noticeably less sway. I also think it tracks a little better. We never did get pushed much by the big trucks but it is not even noticeable now.

I did a lot of research before I bought and finally decided the Koni's gave me the best chance for getting what I wanted, a smoother ride. I am so glad it worked for us because wasting $1144 is not my thing.

Jim
Jim,

Our experience was was the same as yours when we put on 8 Knoi's.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Jim,

Our experience was was the same as yours when we put on 8 Knoi's.
I'd have to say the same. I was hoping for a bigger improvement, but in all fairness, I'd have to say that the improvement we got was worth the price of the 8 Koni's.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Just take it slow, the roads in Alaska are not too bad.

03 Saturn L2
abray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Berg View Post
I have a Safari RD 36 PDQ on the Roadmaster R4R chassis. I changed out the shocks with Koni FSD's. The fore and aft pitch cycle is reduced but the ride is noticeably harsher. I didn't gain enough improvement to justify the cost.
Hi there,
Just wondering if the up and down movement (PORPOISING) of your rig has changed for the better. Mine is '08 Cayman 39ft. and porpoising is my only concern with this unit, otherwise very good. Please let me know co'z I'm planning to buy KONI. By the way, did you also check/adjust your RIDE HEIGHT?. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:10 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelation View Post
Hi there,
Just wondering if the up and down movement (PORPOISING) of your rig has changed for the better. Mine is '08 Cayman 39ft. and porpoising is my only concern with this unit, otherwise very good. Please let me know co'z I'm planning to buy KONI. By the way, did you also check/adjust your RIDE HEIGHT?. Thanks.
Koni shocks all around do make a large difference in dampening that porpoising effect. At least they did in my Dip. Making sure the ride height is adjusted correctly is also important for improving ride quality on all Monaco raised rail coaches.