Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Kwikee Steps Won't Retract

We headed to the Campground last night and the steps on our 2000 Dynasty wouldn't retract. I disconnected the linkage used a bungee to secure it in the up position. It makes no noise at all. I guess the first step is to check the fuse. Does anyone know where it is? It's a one step model.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 06:55 AM   #2

I have to tap my motor with a hammer if it's been sitting more than a day. I would still suggest trying to fix it but that might help you when you're in a pinch. I usually have the wife open and shut the door while I give it a few soft taps.
Hartman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #3

it's most likely jammed, the bushings in the motors wear out or get soft.

unplug the step, remove the 3 bolts holding the motor is and remove it catching any spacers that might drop out.

Have the step braced so it doesn't close and pinch your fingers!

Plug the step back in withe the motor out and if runs you can put it back in, but it's time for a new motor..

Take it to Napa or similar and have them get you a new one 1991 ford window motor I suspect. I just changed one last week, I had to drill the holes int motor case out for larger bolts, but it works fine.

Lots of post on here with the part number

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/chan...ew-151231.html

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #4

Have you checked the connection to the door sensor? We recently had our steps do the same thing (stuck in the out position making no noises) and it turned out to be the door sensor wire had been cut/disconnected.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman2112 View Post
I have to tap my motor with a hammer if it's been sitting more than a day. I would still suggest trying to fix it but that might help you when you're in a pinch. I usually have the wife open and shut the door while I give it a few soft taps.
+1

Our steps do this all the time. I usually just keep a hammer in the coach, right under DW's seat. A few taps on the solenoid and it always closes.
broadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I just went through this. Burgy gave good advice. These electric motors and gear boxes are very light duty and if someone steps on the step while it is going in or out it will break. Also make sure you lube it with the proper grease.

Does anyone know if the bulb in the Quikee step orange light is replaceable?
Mine is not working. When should it come on?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #7

Ours comes on every time we open the door. When looks like a clearance light that you would put on a trailer with that really common bulb. 1347? Maybe....
Hartman2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #8

My step doesn't come in when I start the engine with the door closed like it use to. With
the engine running if I open the door and close it the door works fine. I haven't had time
to trouble shoot it yet, Maybe this weekend. I don't know where the fuse is.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #9

Dennis, the fuse for my step is in the compartment on the left front of the rig under the drivers area. A few months ago my motor gave out. I did the same as you with the linkage until the new one arrived. I was able to find one on ebay (new) that was a direct replacement with the two wire hook up plug. I am not sure, but I think the window motor has three wires and something needs to be cut or jumped. I just searched ebay for RV step motor and found just what I needed. It was about 55.00 with free shipping. To be sure it is not the relay that the motor plugs into, have someone work the step switch while you are touching the relay box and you should here or fill a clicking. Hope this helps you out. If I knew how to cut and paste something from another site I would send you the ebay site I found it.
George
Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #10

The fuse for my 2005 is in the passenger armrest. There are a series of troubleshooting steps you can follow to isolate the problem. When mine froze in the out position it was the motor.
http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterio...svc_manual.pdf
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #11

Well I can relate and I have spent time and money on same exact issue. While on a long trip mine quit so stopped at RV shop. $120 later he tells me it is the control unit for sure, but he has none in stock.

When I get home a week later I order a control unit $80 and install, nope nothing.

So with the instructions and testing procedure that came with the Kwikee part it tells me that it is the door switch. Buy it $23 and install now working fine.

Not sure what the moral of the story is but good luck. I could post a copy of the test pages later if you want.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the suggestions. I found two fuses under the drivers window, both with step in the name. Both are good. That's as far as I'll go until I get back. It takes about 15 seconds to manually put the step up or down.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
Have you checked the connection to the door sensor? We recently had our steps do the same thing (stuck in the out position making no noises) and it turned out to be the door sensor wire had been cut/disconnected.
Dennis, Before you get too far into the other suggestions I would follow with the comment from MrsChileRick, you may want to take a little time messing around with the connector for the sensor/motor power cable that is located under the step. We have the same year coach and mine does this on occasion. Some fiddling with the connector, a little cleaning of the contacts, some dielectric grease and mine works just fine.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
Dennis, Before you get too far into the other suggestions I would follow with the comment from MrsChileRick, you may want to take a little time messing around with the connector for the sensor/motor power cable that is located under the step. We have the same year coach and mine does this on occasion. Some fiddling with the connector, a little cleaning of the contacts, some dielectric grease and mine works just fine.
X2

These coaches are put together with many non-insulated Butt connectors
/ Scotch -Loks and the likes .....then 5-10 years down the road these cheap connections become infected with the Green Death.....and then comes the trouble

Tags
kwikee, steps