RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

LBCO Auto gen question

Hi guys,
I am doing some serious boon docking in yellowstone at mammoth springs. My experience doing this for real is very limited.

I have 4 6v agm batteries connected in series-parallel. These are rated at 190ah each. A sw2512 pure sine inverter and a 12500 watt onan generator.

My actual battery is getting down to 11.9v overnight causing my generator to auto start during quiet time. I am only running a led tv, 99 watts for 1.5 hours, a led light and a bluray player- 14 watts. I shut off the light in an hour.

The inverter must be on for auto gen? correct? And it must be on for the exercise to work also, correct?
I have the exercise set for 15 min, once a day. And the LBCO at 11.9.

I wanted the exercise to overlap with the :15 min auto start mode which I set at 12.0v.

Is it normal for the battery to get that low overnight? When we finish watching our dvd, the actual battery is around 12.2v. The gen starts about 6am. It is getting down to 36 degrees at night. We are not running any electric blankets or heat, nothing.

What do you have your LBCO set at? How do you get the exercise mode and the auto start gen modes to work together. From what I understand the exercise mode shuts off the gen in :15 min which is not enough time to top off my batteries.

I don't want the gen to start during quiet time, so I have lowered it to 11.5v.

FYI
My 24 hr start is 12.3v
2 hour start is 12.2v

any help would be appreciated.

moira

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

I think you have a limited amount of battery power for a Sig. Is it an all electric coach? If so you are missing batteries. We have all electric and have 5 12volt 8D AGM batteries and 2 -2000 watt inverters. No you don't need to run the generator with the inverter. The inverter is made to run things like the TVs the coffee maker you can also run the microwave for 30 minutes or less. The generator will run the same things but separately? When you are plugged in to shore power the inverter has a charging function that will charge the house batteries and when they are full the inverter will charge the engine starting batteries .
Btw we run lights and tv all evening. By morning the house batteries are at 12.4 volts.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira View Post
Hi guys,
I am doing some serious boon docking in yellowstone at mammoth springs. My experience doing this for real is very limited.

I have 4 6v agm batteries connected in series-parallel. These are rated at 190ah each. A sw2512 pure sine inverter and a 12500 watt onan generator.

My actual battery is getting down to 11.9v overnight causing my generator to auto start during quiet time. I am only running a led tv, 99 watts for 1.5 hours, a led light and a bluray player- 14 watts. I shut off the light in an hour.

The inverter must be on for auto gen? correct? And it must be on for the exercise to work also, correct?
I have the exercise set for 15 min, once a day. And the LBCO at 11.9.

I wanted the exercise to overlap with the :15 min auto start mode which I set at 12.0v.

Is it normal for the battery to get that low overnight? When we finish watching our dvd, the actual battery is around 12.2v. The gen starts about 6am. It is getting down to 36 degrees at night. We are not running any electric blankets or heat, nothing.

What do you have your LBCO set at? How do you get the exercise mode and the auto start gen modes to work together. From what I understand the exercise mode shuts off the gen in :15 min which is not enough time to top off my batteries.

FYI
My 24 hr start is 12.3v
2 hour start is 12.2v

any help would be appreciated.

moira
I agree with Ross that you need more batteries, especially if you have a residential frig. You can get by on this campout if you run the generator for 2 hours in the morning and 2 to 3 hours before quite time. When you go to bed you could turn off the inverter to reduce draw down during the night.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

You are damaging your House Battery bank even more than it is already by lowering the setting from 11.9 to 11.5 VDC.

You should never let the battery bank get lower than 50% SOC or about 12.1 VDC

Essentially you have shorten the life of those batteries by depleting them below the recommended level.

It appears to me that you are not getting your house batteries charged enough before turning in for the night. They must be at FLOAT level which should be 13.4 - 13.6 VDC.

Another observation of your battery bank is that the 190 AH's you have available is very low for your coach size and needs. I have about 250 AH available from my 4 - 6 VDC Golf Cart GC-2 batteries I use in my coach.

My Inverter Model RV-2012 is different then yours so any setting information that I use would not help you.

Here is a LINK to your specific Inverter Manual.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #5

I'm just wondering here but I've heard no mention of a refrigerator here. Even if it's a rv fridge it's still drawing the 12 V down. If it's residential it's drawing even more. Just a thought maybe that's been overlooked.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
I'm just wondering here but I've heard no mention of a refrigerator here. Even if it's a rv fridge it's still drawing the 12 V down. If it's residential it's drawing even more. Just a thought maybe that's been overlooked.

Chad
I believe the samsung may draw less current than the old Norcold. Still too much draw for that battery bank if it's on electric.

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA U60 Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Most of the settings on the inverter auto gen starts I've seen have a quiet time setting that will prevent it from starting no matter what. I don't know about yours but you should look into that.
After charging in the evening your battery bank should stabilize no charge at 12.7 ish . for battery life ( I suspect yours are shot/ damaged ) run them no lower than 12.0 volts ! For info what you wrote is 4 190 6 volt batteries so you have 380amps of which 190 is usable. That certainly should get you through the night esp describing your paired down usage. If I were guessing I'd say batteries are gone .. Perhaps because you let them run to low ( below 12 volts ) to many times or maybe it's just their time.
Run the gen up until quiet time max whatever you can get out of the battery and shut off your auto start if you can't program it not to run during quiet time.
Forget the exercise setting ... Not needed .thats for in storage and normally set for once a month ... Your using the generator in the am and night ( you should be ) morning when you get up for a hour or two and night again ..
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #8

Thank you guys, Im sorry I am running a LP frig, Norcold and I have LP cooktop. I have no water pumps or heaters or lights on. I am not charging cell phones etc. Anything that I can control is off.

We bought this coach last year and haven't done much boon docking.

If I shut the inverter off after a manual start of the gen, the gen keeps running.
If I shut off the inverter after a automatic gen start, the gen shuts down.
So I have to leave the inverter on over night or the will not auto start at 8am.

Richard is right, I am not floating the batteries before bed. I am interested in your batteries, are they AGMs? Mine are East Penn Intimidaters and don't come higher than 190ah. I have no room to put 12vs in.

Here is what I recorded last night:
After floating and it settled down to 12.7v at 8:49pm nothing on
Lowered all 3 electric shades in the salon.
batteries settled at 12.6
9pm TV and blurry on

10:37 TV and blurray off 12.4v
1 led light on (takes 10.5 watts)
1:28 led light off 12.3v
7:30am 12.0v

I set the LBCO at 11.5 for 30 secs because its the only setting that quiet time is defeated.
The other settings will not cause the gen to auto start. So thats why I used the exercise function. So right at 8am the gen auto starts, then if the other time/voltage settings are not satisfied, my gen will still auto start in exercise mode.

These batteries are shot. I need 4 new 6v AGMs with more than 190ah. Any ideas?
thanks moira
Old 08-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Why are you trying to defeat quiet time ? If your running your gen at night ( or 4 am !) your neighbors if any will not be happy. Or maybe I misunderstood that I'd turn off the auto gen start .. I never use it. Or actually I use it if I'm not going to be at the coach . You are the best person to determine when it runs .why can't you manually tur it on when you get up? Why do you need it to auto start? When you go to bed before QT ( for at least an hour or two ) and in the am after QT when you get up 8 9 10 ?? Another two hours . Just start the gen.let it run for 2 hours .. It will take that long to bring batteries that low back up Your batteries are already toast .wouldnt be too worried about saving them .
I think the reason your inverter must be on is because it's tied to the auto start process. It controls the gen.... in that case just use the manual switch on the dash for the gen.
Can't help with Agm . I use 6 Trojan 6 volt 225 amp golf cart batteries but they do require some maint .. Checking water etc. they are way cheaper and provide just as much power as the Agm but if you aren't good with maint of them , the agms might be better. Good luck !
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

The lbco setting is the only setting that defeats quiet time. I don't do it, the inverter does it automatically. Thats why I set it so low. So the Gen doesn't auto start during quiet time.

All other settings, 24hr, 2hr, :15, exercise and large load detection will not auto start the Gen during quiet time.

Yeah these batteries are shot. I need more power in 4 6 volts If I can get it.

I like to be out by 7am, and quiet time starts at 8pm and ends at 8am! Sometimes I can barely get back to the coach before quiet time starts.

Thank you everyone for all ur help. Moira
Old 08-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I would look at Lifeline AGM batteries, I think they are the best on the market and a lot of Monacos came with them. Mine did, and the previous owner had switched to Interstate wet cells, what a mess to keep cables clean and full of water. I switched back to Lifelines and couldn't be happier. I know they can be pricey, but I feel you get what you pay for. JMO Randy
Old 08-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #12

What is the amp hour rating on yours?
Old 08-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What is the amp hour rating on yours?
They are 6 V 220 amp hour lifeline AGM's part number GPL-4 CT I bought them from Centex batteries out of Bastrop Texas their phone number is 512-308-9002 at the time I purchased them they had the best price. I have eight of them in my coach and I even switched my chassis batteries over to lifeline as well.