Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Leaky Door

Boy, you can tell I'm out in the rig, huh..
On this particular trip, I'm running into a lot of rain, and where I'm sitting now water is running down the outside glass of the Entry Door. It is going into the inside channel and then building up to the point that it runs down the inside of the door.
The outside of the door has two weep holes to allow water out, but there are no corresponding holes in the channel on the inside. Can you check yours to see if yours are the same??
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What's the matter Becky not there to keep you busy ? I just looked at my door frame. I am not sure what weep holes you are referring to. On my door there are three notches/weep holes in the bottom outside lip of the door frame. But I don't see any holes in the bottom of the door itself. Of course mine is a 06 Endeavor and yours is a 07 Dip so things could be different. Send a picture to make the problem clearer.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What's the matter Becky not there to keep you busy
Nope, not this time..
Just under the window looking at the outside of the door, there are some holes to let water out. Usually people complain because they make whistling noise as you are going down the road.
On the inside, just under the glass there is a trough roughly 3/4 wide by the size of the glass long. This is filling with water until it overflows. On the regular windows, there are holes to allow any water that gets into this trough to flow through and out. Sometimes they get plugged and cause a problem, but my door does not have these holes on the inside.
I would post pics, but although I brought a camera, and a computer with a card slot, the card in this camera will not fit in the slot in the computer. Of course, MM took the card reader that is normally in the MH out, so I have no way to post the pics I just took.
I will see if I can find a cable around here later.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
SacsTC;

When we first got our coach, rain would come in around the top and front corner of the door and drip down the inside of the door. Actually, it would pour down the inside and fill the bottom of the step well.

I posted pictures of my fix, which fixed the door whistle also, but the pics are gone from this web site and I don't have them any more. (Changed phones)

Basically, I bought some rubber 1/4 inch, half round door seal, put a strip above the door on the outside, and used a lot of the same stuff inside the door frame. The door, when closed, seals against this 1/2 round seal.

Since putting this on, I've not had any more rain dripping inside, nor any whistles.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
rain would come in around the top and front corner of the door and drip down the inside of the door. Actually, it would pour down the inside and fill the bottom of the step well.
Nope, not the same..The inside of the window is dry, the outside is wet, If I dry out the trough just under the window, I can see the water seep in around the seal at the bottom of the window on the inside and fill the trough. Once the trough is full, then it continues on down the inside face of the door.
The door seal itself is still there and working. No water except at the bottom of the window where I can see it build up and then fill the trough built into the door.
I'm afraid to drill holes there that should allow this water to drain through door to outside weep holes because then I may allow it to get inside the door and rust or cause mold
Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,

Come up with a solution. My door is the same as yours.

Luke
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My door was the same alway leak till i had a peice black plastic carpet strip on top door frame for evetruf silocone the top problem solve.

2008 Endeavor
Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sacs,
Are you referring to a leak in the window in the door? If you are and water is getting to the inside channel of the window frame then the seal between the glass & frame has a void somewhere. You should not have any water on the inside of that frame. The weeps that you see allow water that gets to the outside channel of that frame to escape. The only window frames that are supposed to get water inside are the ones that open. Now finding that void is another challenge.

Steve
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The weeps that you see allow water that gets to the outside channel of that frame to escape.
OK, I think I got someone that understands what I am saying.
Steve, these weeps should only drain what water MAY get under the glass through the window seal?? If so, then mine are plugged because the water continues to build up until it come into the inside. I removed the weep cover and they appear to be clean, not plugged..I can see it coming out from under the window on the inside . There is a rubber or plastic piece between the window and the frame. That is where the water is coming from..
Old 04-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Sacs,
The weeps that you see do not go thru to the inside of the frame. Those only allow water that gets to the outside leg of the frame. The water is somehow getting between the gasket and the glass to the inside of the frame and once there has no where to go but inside your coach. You might be able to see where it is coming from if Becky sprays water on the door from outside while you watch inside. The best way to fix that problem is to remove the glass and reset. A good auto glass shop should be able to do that. Good Luck.

Steve
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You might be able to see where it is coming from if Becky sprays water on the door from outside while you watch inside.
Do you really think I would be foolish enough to allow MM to have anything that sprays fluid pointed anywhere in my direction
Quote:
The best way to fix that problem is to remove the glass and reset.
Yeah, I was afraid of that.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sacs.....I looked at mine....it appears that the entry door window is the only one where those double set of exterior weep holes aren't connected to the interior trough. It looks like you have another issue. Have you taken a twist on all of the interior window screws to make sure they're tight? Not to insult you, but how about keeping the porch awning out until you can correct the problem.

Maybe Mama could bake up some salmon and glue it above the door :-)
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
SacST

I have the same coach but HR and had the same problem; when the rain is coming from the "wrong" direction it pours in the top of the front door. In all cases the roof drains in a way that it runs down over the entry door window. I fixed the problem by installing some rubber gutter that directed any runoff from the roof to the rear of the door and passenger side window. This has fixed my problem and keeps us all dryer when going in or out of the coach when it is raining - no more water running down over the door opening.

Lew