Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #1

LED Headlights

I am considering replacing the original headlights in my 07' Diplomat with LED's. Has anyone out there replaced theirs? If so what type do you recommend using? Thanks in advance for your input.

Dan
07' Diplomat SKQ
Turlock, CA
dimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 10:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Before updating to LEDs, check the voltage at the bulb sockets. Many complaints about dim headlights are caused by low voltage. Often the length and size of the wire cause enough resistance to dim the lights. In those cases, using larger wire from the batteries or a bus bar and a relay to bypass the light switch is often a good solution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #3

Thanks Bob,
I appreciate the recommendation, I'll check it out.
Dan
Old 11-29-2017, 05:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
M4 Products
Old 11-29-2017, 05:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check out this video by RVGEEKS

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'm in the process of upgrading my headlights. I investigated both LED (light emitting diode) and HID (high intensity discharge) upgrades. A good friend of mine is a lighting engineer. LED lights have made a lot of progress in the last few years, but if you want the very brightest headlights, HID is still superior. Also, once HID bulbs are warmed up and running the current draw is reduced so they are not sensitive to our RV low voltage issues. The downside to HID lights are they startup slowly so they should only be used on low beams. My low beams are where I needed improvement.
I ordered a 55W HID upgrade kit for my H7 bulbs. The kit includes the HID bulbs, wiring adapter, and the ballast.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 AM   #7

If you could find what the factory used for headlights, you might be able to find a projection type.....it's all about the reflector shape behind the bulbs......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:31 AM   #8

Thanks Vito,

Who did you order the upgrade kit from?
Dan
Old 11-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I ordered from DDM Tuning. I ordered the 55w Ultra HID kit. I've used it before with great success.
I'm not sure I'd recommend them. Their products and pricing are great but they ship everything in from over seas and it take 2-3 weeks to receive.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't ordered mine yet, but after a lot of research I plan to buy from M4 Products. They are a little more expensive than some, but have much higher light output in lumens and they are known for high quality products and excellent customer service!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I haven't ordered mine yet, but after a lot of research I plan to buy from M4 Products. They are a little more expensive than some, but have much higher light output in lumens and they are known for high quality products and excellent customer service!
M4 led is where I got my LED headlights for my 07 Neptune. Also got all of my interior LED lights to replace the fluorescent and incandescent bulbs. Agree with you Joe, not the cheapest but very high quality and excellent customer service. I'm very pleased with mine.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #12

Thanks Chad I appreciate your input
Dan
Old 11-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples View Post
Thanks Chad I appreciate your input
Dan
You're very welcome. Glad to help any way I can. If you have any questions, call m4. Like I said excellent customer service. The tech spent probably 15-20 minutes on the phone with me when ordering my headlights. He took the time to make sure I was getting the right lights.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #14

I have used M4 and really like the results. I did have to buy an adapter to enable the outside bulb to fit into the access hole, cheap on Ebay. My lights on a 2004 Dynasty are made by BMW and I also needed to replace the plastic adjusters in each side, again cheap on Ebay. There are some good Utube videos for changing the adjusters is you need to do that. Since the lenses are plastic and were cloudy, I used a headlight restorer I found at Advance Auto. Lots of elbow grease, but they do look 100% better. I still have to get the lights adjusted, but they are definitely brighter.
Rustygold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights