Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
LED interior lights

Ed,

Thanks for the info. I did order 2 that I mentioned earlier in warm white and I may order 2 of the ones you mentioned and then do a comparison test. Key test for me in addition to light output is if I can dim the LED.

Will keep everyone posted.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
The LED lights I bought in Quartzsite have a 11-18 volts operating range.
If you have the Intellitec multiplexed lighting control system, the LED's will dim just fine. This system dims the lights via pulse-width modulation, which means the voltage turns on-off-on-off etc to dim the light by varying the on-off time. So, the LED's either have voltage or not, but the voltage is not lowered. A rheostat dimming system, often used with incandescent lamps, varies the light output by lowering the voltage to the lamp. You don't want to use this system with the LED's, as it will drop the voltage below the operating range.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #17

LED lights normally only operate on a couple volts individually. Unless they are wired in series, they would only need a 2 volt source. The little LED assemblies I purchased had additional circuitry on them that I assume was to regulate the ~12VDC at the socket down to whatever the LED's themselves needed. If this is the case, I doubt the dimmer switch in a coach would work well, if at all, on them. On the other hand not all LED replacement lights are built the same... so good luck on this and please post back here when you get the product.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
LED interior lights

Harry & Sheryl

I do have the same multiplex system as in your coach so its looking like I'll be able to dim the lights. I should get the LED's either today or tomorrow so will know soon enough.

Just wondering how many individual LED's are in each unit that you bought and what did they cost?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased them in QZ last year and don't remember the price. On their website, nexled.com, they are listed for $34.95, but I didn't pay that much for them at the booth in QZ.
These have 9 LED's on them.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
LED interior lights

I got the 2 LED lights I order today and just installed them in my coach. The lights are as bright as the 10 watt Halogens that were in the coach and the LED lights do dim using the Multiplex system in our coach. I order the warm white LEDs from this site: G4 Ultra Bright 9 SMT LED Light Low Voltage 12 Volt AC/DC - Low Voltage LED Lights - LEDLight

The LED lights are cool to the touch unlike the Halogens and the warm white color is comparable to the Halogens. I did notice that when I dimmed the lights all the way down that the LEDs were slightly brighter than the Halogens but nothing that I would be concerned about.

I'm going to run these LEDs for a couple of months to see how they hold up and then if everythings OK will replace all the bulbs in the coach. (About 30 or 40 lights)

LEDs are 2 watts vs 10 for the Halogens so if I've done my math correctly I've reduce each lights consumption (amps) by 80%. Considering all the dry camping we do I think the replacement cost will be worth it.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Bought the light replacements listed by Ed_G above from Amazon. Now $14 per light. The warm white light is slightly brighter than OEM bulbs and is almost the same color, slightly whiter. I will be incrementally replacing all mine. At $14 per and with 32 lights on my rig I am going to spread out this expense. So far it looks like a good idea.

Lew
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #22

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
The LED lights I bought in Quartzsite have a 11-18 volts operating range.
If you have the Intellitec multiplexed lighting control system, the LED's will dim just fine. This system dims the lights via pulse-width modulation, which means the voltage turns on-off-on-off etc to dim the light by varying the on-off time. So, the LED's either have voltage or not, but the voltage is not lowered. A rheostat dimming system, often used with incandescent lamps, varies the light output by lowering the voltage to the lamp. You don't want to use this system with the LED's, as it will drop the voltage below the operating range.
So how do I tell which dimming system I have in my coach?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most if not all Diplomat's do not have dimmer capabilities. Unless somebody added them.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Fluorescent tube replacement

On the LED subject, but off the halogen. Has anyone used the new led tubes that are made to slot into the fl light fixtures. I saw one that was pretty slick at the Tampa RV show. $78 for 2, on my old coach most of the lighting is fluorescent. I probably have 40 tubes all together.

David
DEG503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I really like the idea of these LED fittings.

The do however look a lot more bulky than the small halogen bulbs. Isn't that a problem in f.x. the small down lights that most Monaco's have? Will they actually fit here?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Yep - these lights just fit in the halogen fixtures with the glass cover that twists on and off. I bought these:

(Warm White 140 Lumen G4 Base 10 SMD LED Bulb, 1109WW) from Amazon (LEDWholesaler)for $14 each. They have 10 LEDs on the base and put out 140 Lumen; there are also lights with 6 LEDs that put out 100 Lumen that are $2 less expensive. The 140 Lumen light is slightly brighter that the OEM halogen bulbs. As you probably know you want the connecting leads on the side not on the bottom.

Lew
Old 01-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
I really like the idea of these LED fittings.

The do however look a lot more bulky than the small halogen bulbs. Isn't that a problem in f.x. the small down lights that most Monaco's have? Will they actually fit here?
Hi, Danes - as LewF says, the side-pin LEDs will fit directly into the holes used by the 10W and 20W halogen bulb in the round downlights on Monaco coaches. We replaced all of ours about nine months ago and we've been very happy - same amount of light, good color quality if you get the "warm white" bulbs, and minimal draw on the batteries.

I'm surprised that manufacturers haven't started to install them as original equipment given the advantages for boondocking!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
One picture worth a thousand words? Here is what they look like installed. I also note that the light is completely cool when turned on while the lights with halogen bulbs are pretty hot.

One picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED G4 Light.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2501

Lew