Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
LED replacement headlights for 2002 Monaco Windsor?

Can anyone tell me what the proper LED lamp replacements would be?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Can anyone tell me what the proper LED lamp replacements would be?
Joe,

Your coach has the same headlight assembly and bulbs as the 2000 Lincoln Navigator. The headlamp bulb is a 9007, which has the low and high beam combined in a single bulb. Anything that will work for the 2000 Navigator should fit. Be forewarned though that there are many factors that affect the quality of the light pattern and the light output. What works well in one vehicle may not work so well in another, even for the same number LED bulb replacement. Much of this is due to reflector and lens design of the headlight assembly. This comes into play because the LED elements are not positioned the same as the incandescent bulb it is replacing. Some LED replacements have a "clockable" socket, allowing you to rotate the LED in the socket to obtain the best light pattern.

A well-made LED bulb replacement should be an improvement over the incandescent bulbs, but it will never be as good as the factory LED headlamps found on many of today's vehicles.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on some LED headlamp bulb replacements for my 2002 Cayman, which uses the headlamp assembly from the 2000 Lincoln LS. I'll be getting them from Headlight Experts (HE). I've purchased LED replacement headlamps from them in the past and had good results. A quick search of their site turned these up for the 2000 Lincoln Navigator lamps used on your coach:

http://www.headlightexperts.com/carf...vigator-351702

One more thing, if your coach has the ability to tell you via the instrument panel that a headlamp is out, you'll also need a warning canceller. It's also available from HE.

Regards,
Matt
SmokyPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:45 AM   #3

Joe-

You may want to ask Daniel Stern about the problem you're trying to fix by replacing the halogen bulbs in your coach with LEDs/LED headlamps. Here's a link to his Web site, and here's a link to his e-mail address.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a look at this video by the RV Geeks

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyPond View Post
Joe,

Your coach has the same headlight assembly and bulbs as the 2000 Lincoln Navigator. The headlamp bulb is a 9007, which has the low and high beam combined in a single bulb. Anything that will work for the 2000 Navigator should fit. Be forewarned though that there are many factors that affect the quality of the light pattern and the light output. What works well in one vehicle may not work so well in another, even for the same number LED bulb replacement. Much of this is due to reflector and lens design of the headlight assembly. This comes into play because the LED elements are not positioned the same as the incandescent bulb it is replacing. Some LED replacements have a "clockable" socket, allowing you to rotate the LED in the socket to obtain the best light pattern.

A well-made LED bulb replacement should be an improvement over the incandescent bulbs, but it will never be as good as the factory LED headlamps found on many of today's vehicles.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on some LED headlamp bulb replacements for my 2002 Cayman, which uses the headlamp assembly from the 2000 Lincoln LS. I'll be getting them from Headlight Experts (HE). I've purchased LED replacement headlamps from them in the past and had good results. A quick search of their site turned these up for the 2000 Lincoln Navigator lamps used on your coach:

http://www.headlightexperts.com/carf...vigator-351702

One more thing, if your coach has the ability to tell you via the instrument panel that a headlamp is out, you'll also need a warning canceller. It's also available from HE.

Regards,
Matt
Thanks Matt! Just wondered how you determined that they are the same as the 2000 Lincoln Navigator?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Thanks Matt! Just wondered how you determined that they are the same as the 2000 Lincoln Navigator?
When I was looking for replacement headlamp assemblies for my 2002 Cayman in 2012, I found a posting on the web that said many of the '02 Monaco coaches used Lincoln headlamps. Sure enough, mine are from the 2000 Lincoln LS. The number on the headlamp lens shows the correlation as well. Looking at the images of the '02 Windsor, one quickly finds that the headlamp assemblies are from a Lincoln as well, the 2000 Navigator.

Do these look like your headlamps Joe?

Regards,
Matt
Old 10-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, that's them alright! I looked on the plastic and found the number SAE-AHRI5P2P-98NR. I Googled it and found several references to 1998, 1999, and 2000 Lincoln Navigator!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Can the LED's be directly installed in the '02 Monaco Windsor without modification? I like night driving and those LED's would be nice. I've read that unless you have a certain housing, the LED's require some expensive modification.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You may need to disconnect your DRL module if equiped. Not sure how it will effect LED headlights. It caused my headlights to flash when I updated to HID bulbs. The DRL module applies reduced voltage to the low beam headlights when in gear and the headlight switch is off.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Per the Parts List on the Monacoers sight, here is the headlight info for you vehicle

2002 - 2003 Windsor

Headlight: 1999 - 2002 Lincoln Navigator
XL7Z-13008AA= Right side
XL7Z-13008BA= Left side
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:07 AM   #11

There is a cross reference guide for many RV headlight modules at RVHeadlights.org.

Note - few headlight buckets are designed for the light pattern of LED assemblies and the output will not be properly focused. It is impossible to make a LED assembly that totally mimics the output of an incandescence bulb.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #12

I have been unable to find any results for my 2004 Monaco Dynasty on the above-mentioned sites. In fact neither site gives a return for either Monaco or Dynasty. Which leaves me confused as to how one respondent was able to find a suitable replacement for the OP.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, I would certainly appreciate it. My goal is to replace the entire headlight assembly, as opposed to replacing just the bulbs.
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtBt View Post
You may need to disconnect your DRL module if equiped. Not sure how it will effect LED headlights....
That used to be a problem with LED headlamp bulb replacements, but not anymore. The newer LED lamps work fine with DRL's. Be certain to check the details before making a purchase as I'm sure there are still some out there that don't.

-Matt
Old 10-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
I have been unable to find any results for my 2004 Monaco Dynasty on the above-mentioned sites. In fact neither site gives a return for either Monaco or Dynasty. Which leaves me confused as to how one respondent was able to find a suitable replacement for the OP.

If anybody could point me in the right direction, I would certainly appreciate it. My goal is to replace the entire headlight assembly, as opposed to replacing just the bulbs.
The parts list from the Monacoers Web site lists the headlights for the 2003 and 2005 Dynasties. By comparing them, I'd say the 2004 Dynasty uses the same headlight as the 2005, which is from a 1999-2000 BMW 5-series car. Here is a link to a Google search for them.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "2004," "Dynasty" and "BMW 5-series" in them.

You'll want to confirm this "information" for yourself.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, led, light, lights, monaco, replace, replacement