Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Level,slides-slides level

WE just go our new 2006 40' diplomat(1 month ago) 4 slides 3 leveling jacks(manual) .The person we got the m/h from told me to,dump air, level the m/h first then put slides.I got to reading the owners manual they say put slides out first then level. We are not always on a perfectly level spot. So i was wondering what do the rest of you do.
We are about a green as it gets,but reading the manual front to back and asking a bunch of dumb questions. I spent 30 years in home maintenance,i just have to learn about a new type of home.We plan on being full time in the near future so i spend a lot of time studying the m/h and reading this forum.
Thanks for you patience. Tim (aka-tagcat)
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Tim,
Monaco always maintained that the coach was squared up better while resting on its own aired up chassis. Once you level with the jacks, it can put the coach body into a slightly.altered alignment. Therefore they say slides out first then dump air and drop jacks. I do this as do most Monaco owners . - Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
Tim,
Monaco always maintained that the coach was squared up better while resting on its own aired up chassis. Once you level with the jacks, it can put the coach body into a slightly.altered alignment. Therefore they say slides out first then dump air and drop jacks. I do this as do most Monaco owners . - Ron
X2. I feel like Monaco knows best since they built it and that's what I do. Tim, welcome to the forum and glad to have you.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #4

There are a lot of things that RV'ers do, or manufacturers suggest that they do, because it's always been done that way. Often it's based in true facts, but sometimes it's based on outdated logic.

If we had four-point jacks, I would be much more concerned about leveling and extending in the proper order, and would certainly follow the manufacturers recommendation for my specific coach. But with a three-point leveling system, unless you are already sitting in a real bind before dumping your air, you really can't twist the chassis by leveling. And, you really shouldn't twist the chassis while transitioning to level. So with the three-point jack system, I really believe that it doesn't matter which you do first.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Always to be safe follow the manufacturer's manual. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What Ron said!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #7

I have a different coach (45 foot) with no jacks, just air only auto leveling. I'm also new at this but I have been hitting auto level while the engine is on, then when the computer says it is all level, turn the engine off and extend the slides. To retract, I bring the slides in before I start the engine and go to travel mode. I was assuming that since I have no jacks and all the levelling is done by the 10 air bags on the suspension that this would be fine. And that having every thing level it would be less binding on the slides. Is there a flaw in my logic? Remember, no jacks to twist the frame...
Old 03-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
TXduo when you arrive and aired up you should have NO twists. I would extend the slides with engine running or turn it off. Then level with your air bags. Now what does your manufacturer say? That is really the right advice to follow. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide