Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #1

leveling and slideouts

forgive me as i'm sure this has been asked before but being new to a pusher and only having this coach a few weeks. i have have read the manual a couple times and i'm confussed about slideout use and leveling. the book say's never operate the slideouts unless the airbags are full but it then states to dump the air to below 60 psi then level. this seems a little odd. to me if the slides are out(full air) then dump and level, the leveling process can be "jerky" and to me with all the extra weight hanging out the sides this can't be the best way. i also don't understand why having the air bags below 60 psi would effect how the slides operate.

i hope someone can clarify for me
thanks
rstarny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Correct. Coach needs to be in "travel mode" before deploying or retracting slides. The story is that Monaco installs the slides in the "travel mode" (air bags up to ride height) and this method will have the slides in the correct position to keep them from binding when deploying or retracting. So....just follow those directions and you should be ok. Also remember there are two types of leveling systems. One is "air leveling only" and the other is "jack leveling". (you could also get both as an option on some coaches). I have read that if you have the "air leveling" only system, that you can deploy and retract slides with no problems but with the "jack leveling system" it is important that you deploy and retract only when the air bags are at "ride height". Lots of discussion on this topic since Monaco does it different than most.

And...dumping the air gets your steps closer to the ground for easier exit and entry.
Below 60 should also automatically engages your emergency brakes just in case someone accidentally pulls the knob when parked. If air is high enough and your guest says, "What does this knob do"?....as he/she pulls up on it and off you go rolling down the campsite. Kinda of a "fail safe" thing.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

i will do what is recomended, so to be clear upon arival at camp site, park and deploy all slide outs then dump the air and lower jacks. when leaving retract jacks and air up to ride height then retract all slide outs. i'm the type of guy that likes to understand why things need to be a certain way. i still don't get what the difference is between ride hieght and the air being dumped as far as the function of the slide outs, the mechanics of it seems the same to me

thanks for the answer Barlow46
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarny View Post
i will do what is recomended, so to be clear upon arival at camp site, park and deploy all slide outs then dump the air and lower jacks. when leaving retract jacks and air up to ride height then retract all slide outs. i'm the type of guy that likes to understand why things need to be a certain way. i still don't get what the difference is between ride hieght and the air being dumped as far as the function of the slide outs, the mechanics of it seems the same to me

thanks for the answer Barlow46
This is correct. Most other manufacuturers state to to level then deploy/extend the slides. This is because they are manufactured with the chassis leveled on carts/dollies and then the slides are installed.

Monaco is the opposite and as far as I know the only ones that have their chassis aired up at ride height going down the assembly line and in final assembly when the slides are added. This is the reason for the slides to be extended at ride height, then dump the air and level.

When departing fire up the coach bring it to ride height and shut the engine off. Retract the slides, fire up the coach and you are ready to travel.

This is with hydraulic leveling jacks which is what your Diplomat will have. On some of the coaches with air leveling you can extend/retract at either position as you are still sitting on the same air bags whether leveled or at ride height/travel position although Monaco still recommends ride height first then slides.

With the leveling jacks deployed to the ground it can add quite a bit of stress/twisting to the chassis and transferred up to the coach so this is why they don't want the slides to be moved during this time.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

thanks that does clarify it for me and understand the theory
this forum is a wealth of info and great people

Tags
leveling