Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all, I have followed this discussion closely because I believe it may be part of our problems.
To be brief, we are the proud owners of a 2006 Monaco Lapalma. Great coach, however the one piece windshield has come out of the seal three times. We are currently waiting to hear what the next solution will be. I believe the flex of the W24 chassis is a significant factor. We level like the book says, slides out, jacks down, jacks up, slides (3) in. Anyone else having this problem? I get the old "never seen that before" from the dealer.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all, I have followed this discussion closely because I believe it may be part of our problems.
To be brief, we are the proud owners of a 2006 Monaco Lapalma. Great coach, however the one piece windshield has come out of the seal three times. We are currently waiting to hear what the next solution will be. I believe the flex of the W24 chassis is a significant factor. We level like the book says, slides out, jacks down, jacks up, slides (3) in. Anyone else having this problem? I get the old "never seen that before" from the dealer.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard Chuck & Mary.
My 04 Lapalma also won't level. My problem is side-to-side. It dosen't take much to throw the entrance door out of alignment or create a creak in the hallway floor. What I haven't tried yet is to level side-to-side with the front jacks up. I some times wonder if the book is wrong with regard to lowering the front jacks first. My jack system is a 4 point Power Gear.

I'm of the opinion that if it isn't the system causing the chassis flex, then it must be the procedure.
I had zero success resolving this with Monaco.
I hope your experience is more fruitful.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #4

is a real problem with a 4 point leveling system.very easy to twist frame and pop out windsheild or crack it.
the windsor i have has a 3 point system , single front jack . monaco has known for many years that with a full windsheild a 3 point system is best.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome aboard, Chuck & Mary. Glad to have you with us and congrats on the new LaPalma, they sure are nice. When you get a chance, please put your coach/location info in your personal profile, so's we all can recognize each other on the road.

Yes, this is an intersting discussion, isn't it? Sorry to hear you're having such a problem with yours. Stay tuned as the story unfolds (as they say), we may get to the bottom of this yet.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gizmo, welcome aboard (love the nickname!). Glad to have you with us.

I guess there is just so much twist/flex that anything can stand, and we may be near the limits with our jacking systems.

I was once in an aircraft-carrier and we were going down the main long long long passageway thru the middle of the ship. Our guide mentioned that while underway, we couldn't be able to see very far down the passageway since the ship flexed so much the walls/floor blocked the view. Wonder if their windows ever popped?

Thanks, Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything I have read concerning leveling starts out with-"ensure the coach is fairly level". What does that mean? 1/2 bubble, less, or more?

The only good leveling system I've owned was A HWH system that operated two jacks at a time.
Even then, if the coach was not near level the system had difficulty leveling without twisting the chassis. There were plenty of times boards were required to aid the leveling process.

As has been stated in a different thread: Different manufacturers have different leveling procedures. If their confused, what do they expect from us.

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 08-24-2006, 09:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2005 LaPlama on a W24 chassis with the Power Gear 4 pt. system which 80% of the time will not level side to side. We have always followed the book, slides out and then jacks down and have experienced what I am sure is chassis flex, with floor buckle in hallway as noted by adj above. Our coach is currently at the Wildwood factory service center and leveling system (side to side problem) is one of the items on the list. I will post if they come up with a fix.

2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
av42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It really me when they say put out slides first than level. On all three coaches I have had slides, I will level each frame rail front and back jacks together. Than adjust opposite rail until coach is level. I have the HWH jacks four corners. By doing this the frame doesn't flex or twist binding doors or causing slide rollers to cut into flooring as some people do. A three point system is harder to level like I had on a Bounder the third jack in front, if the rail its mounted on to lift the two rails together isn't strong enough your rails will flex when leveling the rear jacks.
You can try which ever way you want but I would keep the slides in until level.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome aboard, "av42". Glad to have you with us, and we hope you stick around. When you get a chance, please update your profile so's we can recognize each other down the road.

As you can see, this topic is quite a popular and lively one with many twists (.... oh, I just kill myself sometimes with humor) and turns. Kinda looks like we all have our own ideas on what's the 'right' way to do it.

I wonder if maybe there are different forces in effect for the 3-pointers vs the 4-pointers, and that's why we see so many variations in style and in end-result. Be interesting to hear what Wildwood has to say.

How many gators are in the pond now? We were there last month, and there was 4 of 'em with biggest about 5ft long. Needless to say, the dog wasn't allowed close at all, even tho he loves to play in the water.

Thanks!
Ron

Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> --CAUTION--
If your coach is equipped with a slide out(s) always level your unit first, and then operate
the slide out room(s). When retracting the slide(s), always retract the room(s) first then
retract the leveling jacks. Following this procedure will produce the least amount of
stress on your chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The above is from the Power Gear web site www.powergearus.com and makes sense. I have a 3 jack system and have always leveled and then put out slides.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flyer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> --CAUTION--
If your coach is equipped with a slide out(s) always level your unit first, and then operate
the slide out room(s). When retracting the slide(s), always retract the room(s) first then
retract the leveling jacks. Following this procedure will produce the least amount of
stress on your chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The above is from the Power Gear web site www.powergearus.com and makes sense. I have a 3 jack system and have always leveled and then put out slides. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I discovered the procedure discrepancy between Power Gear and Monaco, I asked for clarification from Monaco. They informed me to use the Monaco procedures(slides out, then level).

I still believe there is a procedural problem. What I haven't tried yet is to level side-to-side first BEFORE any other jacks are on the ground.

04 Lapalma 33'
Old 08-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A Dealer likes to cause problems with slides when they should know better.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #14

To All; RE; Leveling jacks and slide outs.

Let's use the extreme example;

Rig way off level, leaning to port side, put the slides out causing excess weight on suspension, if front to back also not level the twist and stress on chassis is tremendous.

Just like you remove lug nuts BEFORE you attempt to remove wheel.

Monaco has a proplem with twisting and binding the bay doors .

Always level rig , than put slides out'''

Try it ,you'll like it

Aime==== AJBJRVERS=====