RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Leveling Jack Hyd Tank Support

There were previous posts regarding the fact that the tank for the hydraulic leveling jacks on some models was unsupported. There were some posts that showed how to build a metal support and install it. I am no metal worker so I built a wood support platform and installed it. I though someone with the same coach (2007 Endeavor) with the same laterally mounted pump and tank might want to build the same support. The platform is 3/4" plywood with a generous finish of outdoor poly, and the support are two five inch long 2"x4" blocks contoured on the ends to match the tank diameter. I put heavy duty felt strips under the metal band and fastened it down with fender washers and screws. Hopefully this will prevent future tank breakage and of course all the mess of the hydraulic oil leaking out as the tank bounces around. Here are the pictures.

Lew
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyd Tank without support.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Support.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1231  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Support Installed.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1232  

2016 Winnebago Cambria 30J
LewF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #2

Thanks for the useful information. Did you have to get a new tank/reservoir? If so, where did you get it from?

Steve Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No, I put the support in before I had any failure. Before the support the tank would bounce around and leak a lot of oil from the top cap.

Lew

Old 11-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Keefer View Post
Thanks for the useful information. Did you have to get a new tank/reservoir? If so, where did you get it from?
Best place I have found is here
A similar way to do it is here Using composite decking material
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Here is a photo of the composite decking as the support for the tank.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I also had my tank leak and it was replaced under warranty, but I have a friend that just had his welded. We both made supports also.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #7

Leveling System Reservoir

Thanks all for the responses. My reservoir has leaked a number of times and the crack in the side keeps getting bigger (even after I used JB Weld generously over the old crack). Yesterday I went to an RV dealership repair facility and he said he could order a new one from Power Gear. I think Power Gear will no longer sell direct to consumers.

I am looking for the posts that discuss hanger brackets/straps, but appreciate the "flooring" alternatives discussed.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Steve, there are different mounting orientations for this tank on various coaches. The pictures I posted are from a 2007 Endeavor where the tank/pump assembly was mounted laterally in the bay. I have seen some that were mounted longitudinally, front to back, and they have different mounting points. Bottom line is make a support, metal, wood, synthetic, etc. that will fit your situation - there are lots of options.

It is interesting that this problem, unsupported tanks hanging from a hydraulic pump, appear to be pretty common. We now have a 2009 Camelot and I found that the tank for the slide hydraulic system is not supported (it is in the front cap). If there was ever an engineer that approved these mounts then he/she should have their qualification tickets taken away.

Good luck on your replacement and support installation. If you search this forum you will see several tank support options discussed.

Lew

Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Keefer View Post
Thanks all for the responses. My reservoir has leaked a number of times and the crack in the side keeps getting bigger (even after I used JB Weld generously over the old crack). Yesterday I went to an RV dealership repair facility and he said he could order a new one from Power Gear. I think Power Gear will no longer sell direct to consumers.

I am looking for the posts that discuss hanger brackets/straps, but appreciate the "flooring" alternatives discussed.
Steve,

Take a look at this thread. It may give you some ideals:
Power Gear Tank Support

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the ideas. I fixed mine today before it started to crack. This forum is great.
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #11

Lew, thanks for the info.

My tank (2006 Monaco Knight -40 PLQ) is also unsupported and it looks much like your picture, but it is mounted horizontally front (where it bolts on to the mechanism) to rear. The current crack seems fairly significant, but I may go ahead and have it welded as opposed to putting JB Weld on it again. That reminds me...is hydraulic fluid flamable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewF View Post
Steve, there are different mounting orientations for this tank on various coaches. The pictures I posted are from a 2007 Endeavor where the tank/pump assembly was mounted laterally in the bay. I have seen some that were mounted longitudinally, front to back, and they have different mounting points. Bottom line is make a support, metal, wood, synthetic, etc. that will fit your situation - there are lots of options.

It is interesting that this problem, unsupported tanks hanging from a hydraulic pump, appear to be pretty common. We now have a 2009 Camelot and I found that the tank for the slide hydraulic system is not supported (it is in the front cap). If there was ever an engineer that approved these mounts then he/she should have their qualification tickets taken away.

Good luck on your replacement and support installation. If you search this forum you will see several tank support options discussed.

Lew