Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Leveling Jack Leaks??

Hi to all. Thought rving was going to be fun but beginning to wonder. My left rear leveling jack started to leak. So essentially it doesn't level as it creeps, loses fluid and the coach goes jabberwokkie.

Anyone have experience with such? This is a Power Gear unit with both manual and auto leveling. PowerGear doesn't respond at all to is it rebuildable. Monaco wants what I figure is the bank and president too for the unit.

Look forward to other's experiences.......jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Attached is the Power Gear Repair DOC.
http://powergearus.com/documents/Sea...anual_Rev6.pdf

Many HYD. repair shops can do the rebuild. Must of the parts are stand parts.

Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread may also help.
Power Gear Seal Replacement Kit
Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Leveler leaking info, thanks very much you have been very helpfull.....Coastal Hydraulics in North Charleston seems to think over the phone that it would be a piece of "cake". Docs you sent are very good and I am going to copy them to offer up to the guys at the hydraulic shop. Monday will have to determine I guess through Monaco exactly what hydraulic leveler I have. From photos seems there are several with different seal packs.

I have a Monaco Knight 2006, 20,000 miles, so will try to find out the type or part number they used on it.

Again thanks, any help is very much appreciated........jim
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
Jim....Did you ever order your "data card" from Monaco. It has the brand name of the jacks and what model hydraulic pump. It might give some clue to what jacks were used with that pump.
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

I got one of mine (power gear system) to stop leaking with a temporary fix. It was a consistent leak. I could wipe down the exposed ram and then see a small line of fluid slowly running down the ram. This jack had been weeping for a while, but then got worse.

I was ready to remove the jack and take it to a local hydraulic shop for repair, but I needed to make a trip and did not have time to do the repair. Knowing that auto brake fluid will swell gaskets designed for petroleum based fluids, I did the following:

I fully extended the jacks, and wiped down the leaking jack's ram with a clean rag. I then coated the ram (thick coating) with auto brake fluid, and retracted the jack. After letting it sit for 15 minutes, I repeated this process.

We've now made three trips without any leak. If it starts leaking again, then I'll remove and repair.

Obviously, I give no warranty with this repair advice.

Fred
Fred Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just did order card. Thanks for the headsup...............jim
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #8

In time all leaks will come back and they always come back when you dont want them to. If you are set up at a real nice RV site with a asphalt pad the hydraulic oil will damage the surface and in time will eat away the asphalt to the base rock not good for the park. Just FYI