Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to gonzo
Question Leveling Jacks

Hi All

I got 2 rear and 2 front leveling jacks.

I noticed when I am done leveling the MH, sometimes not all jacks are in contact with the ground. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The answers are no to the first question and yes to the second!

Old 03-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
rex

Monaco Owners Club
That all depends. If you put the all down and thought they were down touching the ground, then you may have a problem. Put the front jacks down first to stabilize the chassis and keep the frame from twisting and causing the windshield to pop out. Then put the rear jacks down to level side to side and front to back. You may have to raise the front a bit more in this process.

Now if you never dropped the jacks that were not touching the ground, well so be it as long as you are happy with it.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Jim. My last coach had 4 jacks. I had it for seven years and I don't ever remember one jack being off the ground when I was finished leveling. Although it's hard to speculate just what may be wrong from the information you posted.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gonzo - We have the same issue. Our 2008 Monarch also has four jacks. We always level manually, not auto, and put down front first, then put down the rear jacks just until they touch and use the rear to level side to side. We have also noticed one of the rear jacks tends to extend and retract more slowly than the other, and sometimes it doesn't even touch the ground. I carry a can of silicone spray to lube it as necessary. I just crouch down and spray the shaft of the extended jack from both sides. That takes care of it for about two months, then it happens again. We were waiting until the next time we take the MH in for some service to have our shop look at that. We're assuming the jacks are under their own warranty and not affected by Monaco's Chapter 11; yours may be out of manufacturer's warranty.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #6

To answer your question we need to know what type of jack system you have and what type of controller you have and in what mode (auto/manual) did it happen????? Jack systems come in all shapes and control schemes.

For example an HWH system with an auto level function used in auto level mode - IF the slope is too great to level then you will almost always have a jack "hanging" as the system will shut-down midstream as it figure out it can't level and just light the "slope" light. Many (not all) systems deploy jacks in pairs and the idea that a jack hangs after it's mate touches ground would indicate a more significant problem as once it's mate contact ground the still hanging jack will see full system pressure until it too touches ground.

I realize there is strong RV religion around spraying stuff on the rams, but I believe most manufacturers would say not to unless you are spraying and wiping it off - what you want is just to keep the rams clean and not introduce perhaps incompatible chemicals to the ram o-rings or more likely drag dirt up into the o-rings as it clings to whatever was sprayed on.

For a more complete and accurate answer, we’ll need some more details....
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 04 Monarch has grease fittings on the jacks. I do add grease twice a year.

Mike
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
T
I realize there is strong RV religion around spraying stuff on the rams, but I believe most manufacturers would say not to unless you are spraying and wiping it off - what you want is just to keep the rams clean and not introduce perhaps incompatible chemicals to the ram o-rings or more likely drag dirt up into the o-rings as it clings to whatever was sprayed on.
RVDude - you make a good point and make sense. I've just started to use silicone spray on the rams because I read it here, but I will go back to my owners manual and check what I'm actually supposed to do, rather than just doing what I read on the internet!
Old 03-30-2009, 04:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what you have but my last coach had a four jack leveling system. The front jacks had a valve that would allow fluid to flow between the two jacks to keep them both on the ground when the rear jacks were used for side to side correction. The front jacks were placed on the the ground first and raised a few inches. Then the back jacks went down. Once all the jacks were on the ground then the rear jacks were used for side to side and then the front or rear were used in tandem to level front to back.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to gonzo
Hi Again

Here are some of the answers:

I got a POWER GEAR hydraulic leveling system. It does not have auto level.

According to my owner manual, the system will operate both front and both rear jacks, when front to back leveling. During side to side leveling only the rear jack will be used. According to the manual it could happen that 1 rear jack will not touch the ground after side to side leveling. In that case i should simply push that side level button until that jack hits the ground. So if the right rear jack is up, hit the right level button on the control pad until the jack hits the ground.

For maintenance, the fluid should be changed out with Type A ATF every 36 month. And the rams should be periodically cleaned with a Silicone Lubricant every 7 days when the rams are extended for a long time.

I read my owner manual and aswered my own question. But reading the manual is so girlish.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have a quick question....regarding leveling. I have an older coach now but an in the process of purchasing a newer coach with Air ride (2006 Camelot). What it the recommended practice regarding the dumping of the air and leveling? Should you always dump the air prior to leveling or leave the airbags inflated?

New to the air ride system. Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Monaco rules are Slides are first out and last in. So the routine is put Slides out, dump air, put jacks down. When getting ready to travel it is jacks up, air up, slides in.

itdave is offline   Reply With Quote