Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
leveling jacks

My new Monaco Cayman 2011 motor home requires the engine to be running in order to lower the jacks. One has to shut off the engine and empty the air system (air bags) slide out the slides and restart the engine to lower the jacks. Seems to me to be a LOUSY design. Anybody else thinks this is wrong? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe I am missing something here but if the engine is running then the compressor is running and trying to fill the air bags. Although it still seems wrong, on my coach you need the key on to drop the air and deploy the jacks but you do not need the engine running. When leaving I have to start the engine, pump up the air, drop the jacks, then turn off the engine to be able to retract the slides. Seems hard on the batteries but that is what they want.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
On ours you just need to turn on the key, not start the engine.
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I was told (and have read elsewhere) that one should have the jacks deployed when using the slide out for longevity and to avoid problems with the slides (and perhaps this is just a myth too).

So my routine is to pull into our spot, deploy the jacks and get the MH leveled (with the engine still running), then shut down the engine and deploy the slide out(s).

When leaving I disconnect services, pull in the slide, start the engine, then retract the jacks.
lblampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
deSanford.....Have you tried turning the key counterclockwise to the accessory position. My jacks work in this position.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lblampman View Post
I was told (and have read elsewhere) that one should have the jacks deployed when using the slide out for longevity and to avoid problems with the slides (and perhaps this is just a myth too).
This is what most coach manufacturers recommend. However, Monaco (and related brands like Holiday Rambler, etc.) recommends to only operate the slides when the coach is supported only the fully inflated air bags. I guess their logic is that is when the frame is most relaxed and the openings are square. When the coach is leveled, it may be less work to actually move the slides, but there is the chance that the frame may be torqued and the slide openings are not square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
One has to shut off the engine and empty the air system (air bags) slide out the slides and restart the engine to lower the jacks.
Are you sure of the sequence there? If that's what they are recommending now, it's different than what they've said in the past. Unless they've changed their recommendations, I don't think you should be dumping the air before opening the slides. The procedure that's in my older manual is to open the slides first, then dump the air, then operate the jacks. If you must run the engine to operate the jacks, you still have the problem of it trying to inflate the bags while operating the jacks, so it doesn't change anything there, the only difference is when you open the slides. In my case, I don't need to start the engine to operate the jacks, just turn on the ignition, so I don't have your problem.

Please verify your manual. My sequence is park, turn off the ignition, open the slides, turn on ignition, dump air, level. Then when leaving, turn on ignition, retract jacks, start engine and pump up air, turn off engine and close slides.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen a 2010 and a early 2011 using the type of leveling system that Fleetwood uses, where the engine has to be running. These few coaches were built when Monaco was having trouble with vendors, when they were not paying bills.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
I have seen a 2010 and a early 2011 using the type of leveling system that Fleetwood uses, where the engine has to be running. These few coaches were built when Monaco was having trouble with vendors, when they were not paying bills.
Mine must be one of these! There is a sticker on the PowerGear leveler control pad which states: ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING TO USE LEVELERS.

In the past two years, I have run the GenSet, turned the ignition key on, engine off, and leveled.

Last Thursday I blew all 12 volt power in the coach doing that. The levelers drew more amperage than the batteries could provide.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #9

I have the LCI system which has a voltage sensor of 13.6 volts or it will low voltage lock...That's why engine has to run...There is a way to bypass that and it's on this forum somewhere but I can deal with it..

Slides out.....Dump air and then I also use the parking brake handle about half way and I get to below 65 and the air warnings come on...I push the auto button at this point and then pump the brakes a few times and it gets down almost to zero by the time the front jack touches ground...It levels off and I shut down motor and I'm generally good to go...

Remember slides out first, dump air, level

Leaving Air up first, retract levelers, then slides in...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. I remember the good old days when I parked my motor home, turned off the engine and lowered the HWH jacks. NO pumping brakes, NO loud warning BONGS, didn't have to restart engine in order to get 13.6 volts dc to operate jacks. The "old" pump motors ran on 10 vdc, because they could take the amperage. These LCI jacks use a less expensive dc motor........I guess they save a few dollars. Yes when the motor is restarted you have to keep your finger on the "dump" switch, and pump a few times on the brake pedal while watching the LCI indicator panel. Oh yes the loud low air warning is making loud "BONGS". Monaco wants the air out of the entire system in order to have maximum travel for the jacks, and a more stable "floor". I think restarting the engine is a DUMB procedure. Too bad the design engineers NEVER have to use these motor homes in the real world. Then we might get systems that work well for the RVers, and not just make money for the manufacturers. My coach is currently at the dealers getting a long list of issues (items) corrected. Apparently the RVer is the final inspector. If I sound unhappy with this system..........it is just because I feel the manufacturer could do better. This "design" is just plain WRONG. When I talked to Monaco about it they just say it is "designed" that way. Well the engineers "designed" it WRONG.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Still trying to figure out how the jacks (if used properly) could ever "torque the frame."
Course I don't pick up my new2me 08 Knight for a few more days.

The powergear jacks in my PA (seems to be the same system the owners manual shows for the knight) can't torque the frame, the front jacks work inb tandem and allow the front of the coach to pivot on the jacks. The Knight's owners manual describes a similar system.

Only difference I can see is the air. My old ford chassis leaf springs always take thier share of the load. back in in my driveway, it's normal for the left rear jack to be off the ground if I'm not careful (and the right rear tire to be off the ground), still no frame tweaking going on.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Still trying to figure out how the jacks (if used properly) could ever "torque the frame."
I understand your point, but it hinges on the jacks being used properly. Proper use is not necessarily a safe assumption.

But even with proper use, that's still no assurance of no stress on the frame. I have three point jacks, which theoretically can't twist the frame (your front jacks working in tandem make it operate like a three point system.) Yet, depending on how I'm leveled, the side compartment doors will sometimes clear the slide easily, and sometimes rub on the bottom of the extended slide. The only way that can happen is if the frame and body are being slightly twisted. If this slight twist can show up as a half inch distortion over the length of the relatively short compartment doors, it seems to me that it could also result in a larger distortion over the much longer length of the slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Too bad the design engineers NEVER have to use these motor homes in the real world. Then we might get systems that work well for the RVers, and not just make money for the manufacturers.
That applies to many aspects of RVs. Some of the layouts, controls, and procedures I've seen and heard of just don't make sense. It's clear that many of the people who design and build them don't use them, and have no idea of what is practical, convenient, or a real pain in the butt.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
That applies to many aspects of RVs. Some of the layouts, controls, and procedures I've seen and heard of just don't make sense. It's clear that many of the people who design and build them don't use them, and have no idea of what is practical, convenient, or a real pain in the butt.[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY AGREE,

deSanford
Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
That applies to many aspects of RVs. Some of the layouts, controls, and procedures I've seen and heard of just don't make sense. It's clear that many of the people who design and build them don't use them, and have no idea of what is practical, convenient, or a real pain in the butt.[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY AGREE,

deSanford