Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Light switch locations

Man trying to convert from my dutch star to this (new to me) Windsor but a few things that monaco has done are driving me crazy Like the stupid light switches and outlets on the sides of the cabinets when its dark I have to feel around to turn on the right switch and try to remember which one turns on the light I want but to make things harder they also mixed them up with the pump switch on every cabinet and also the fan switch and on the Kitchen cabinet I have the electric switch for the hot water heater not bad in the daylight but at night it's a real PITA What have you guys done to solve this??? Have thought about maybe installing a LED light by every switch that turns on at dark!! Any Ideas??Drawer guides and latches I'll save flustration for another time!!oh ya Cup holders thad don't hold cups oh boy sometimes I miss my newmar
Thanks for listening
Don
dpeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

I put an led with a resistor across the light switches I use most often. The led is on whenever the light is off. The only exception is for the lights that are controlled by two switches (i.e. a three way switch) There the led is on all the time. Leds draw so little current that I'm not worried about draining the battery.

With the leds, I can find the important light switches. Finding the other switches is not a big deal once the lights are on.

Dick Lucas, '04 HR Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to an electronics store.. The kind of store where "Joe's Television" might shop.
(For me it's RSE ELectroincs on Schoolcraft near Wayne Rd in Livonia, MI)

They should have a basket full of "indicator lamp assemblies" This is a quarter inch white plastic tube with a colored cap on one end, separated from the white tube by a washer, generally silver in color. The other end of the tube will have two wires coming out of it, red and black or red and white., and it will be labeled 12vdc. (on the white tube)

you also need some speed nuts (Basket or jar nest to the one with the indicators)

A spool of wire (Actually 2, one red, the other black or white matching the indicators)

Wire nuts and/or Electrical tape,, If you know how to solder, that's an option as well or heat shrink tubing instead of tape/nuts.

Now, to use...

For 12 volt switches:

Using the indicator assembly hook it across the switch, one way it will light up. mark the switch or hook a red wire (Tie a bit of red wire) to the terminal the RED wire is touching.

To mount the indicator.. If needed use the red and black or white wire from the spool along with wire nuts tape or heat shrink tubing to "Extend" the leads on the indicator, Drill a quarter inch hole where you can get to the back of it near the switch.

Shove the leads through the hole, then through one of the "Speed nuts" then shove the assembly's tube into the hole, and into the nut, sliding the nut up till it is snug. Hook the leads to the switch, Red wire goes to the lead you put red on.

Switch on, controlled light on, Indicator off, Switch off, indicator comes on. Like magic. You now have a "Spotting lamp" next to the switch.

If the switch is a 120 volt AC switch... Different tub at the electroincs store, the leads will generally be black and black, and the tube will be marked 120vac.

The 120 volt is a NEON lamp with resistor, the 12 volt LED with resistor, in both cases you need no knowledge of electroincs nor do you need to do math, it's all done at the factory.

I buy those (both kinds) by the dozen.