RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
All right, I'm starting to feel stupid now...

Running a third wire down from the porch light (so a motion sensor porchlight can also light the handle) seems beyond practicle.
So I decided to connect the handle to the step light switch.

The step light switch has 4 wires.. (why? it don't seem to need more than 2...)
next to each other, white labelled IP LT gnd, and orange labelled 12v IP LT
the above and below each other, white labelled step light ground and black labelled step lt pwr.

Seeing the obvious, I connect the led neg to step lt gnd, and the pos to step lt pwr (white and bk wires.)

and the handle works great. When the step lights are on, it's OFF, when the steps lights are off, the handle lights up very nice!

lmao...

and I cannot find another combination of connections that will light the handle at all!

JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmm, ok. some web searching is showing:

Pins 7 and 8 (which have orange anbd white wires on all these switches) are for illumination, and according to the part numbers, none of these switches are illuminated.

The step lights are active low.

It seems I need 12 v power, whuci I hope will be found on the red wire for the step cover.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I'm wondering if a red LED could be added for those times when , um, you dont want a knocking...?
RED doesn't mean 'stop'. It means "open for business".
That could make for some interesting evenings.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
RED doesn't mean 'stop'. It means "open for business".
That could make for some interesting evenings.
Actually, the 'red light' came from when train conductors would hang a red lantern outside the place they were in so they could be found.. so 'red' meant 'Here I am and I'm busy!'
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I'm wondering if a red LED could be added for those times when , um, you dont want a knocking...?
No problem for us, hasn't been for years thanks to some surgery my wife had.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
No problem for us, hasn't been for years thanks to some surgery my wife had.
Wow, way too much information!

But the red wire from the step cover switch did the trick, along with the black wire from the step light switch. The handle lights up with the step lights, nice and bright.
I seem to have misplaced my phone, picture tomorrow maybe.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Journey 2010 34Y Lighted Entry Handle Project

Thanks to all the excellent posts in this thread I decided to tackle this project also. Using the previous poster's ideas I selected the following parts from for my install (Radio Shack part numbers where applicable) :
- Ultra Hight Brightness 10mm White LED (28,500 mcd), 3.5v, 20ma Part number 276-0005
- 220ohm resistors 1/4 watt resistors Part Number 271-1111
- Mini Blade Fuse Holder Part 270-1237
- Fast Acting Automotive mini blade fuses 3amp 32volt Part 270-1089
- Misc parts - wire nuts, solder, assorted heat shrink tubes, red and black hook up wire.

I wired (soldered) three of the resistors in series (660 ohm equivalent) then soldered one end of the resistor pack to one lead of the LED. The other end of the LED and the other end of the resistor pack I soldered to short lengths of hook-up wire. I used various lengths and sizes of shrink tube as I went to insulate and package the assembly.

NOTE - make sure you identify the positive and negative sides of the LED in advance. A trial connection with jumper cables is the best method. The LED will ONLY LIGHT when current flows in the proper direction.

After soldering everything together, I ended up with an eight inch assembly with the LED on one end and the exposed red and black wires on the other. I wrapped the assembly with foam strip insulation leaving the LED exposed at the end and fed this assembly into the base of the entry handle.

NOTE - most LEDs have a narrow viewing angle so it is important to make sure the top of the light is pointed in the direction of the handle end you want to illuminate. The LED I use is pretty bright but has a narrow 10 degree viewing angle.

The hardest part of the job was finding a circuit to tap into. I wanted the handle to illuminate when I turned on the Porch Light switch. I also wanted it to illuminate when I unlocked the coach via the remote key fob unlock feature. Trial and error allowed me to determine the FL2 circuit (Flood Lamp 2) would be perfect as it was easily accessible and was powered under all the circumstances I wanted the handle lighted. Fortunately, Winnebago marks all their wires and provides a wiring diagram.

I had to drill the access hole at an angle to reach the area behind the entry area switch panel but this wasn't overly difficult.

The end result is exactly what I wanted. The handle is well lit but not overly bright. I didn't want to illuminate the surrounding area as I have a flood light directly above the handle. I just wanted an attractively lit handle.

Thanks to all of you that motivated me to get started on this long contemplated project and especially for providing the math on the resistor pack!

Photos of Drilling and the unlit and lit handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entry with drill.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	20105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill closeup.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	20106  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unlighted Handle.jpg