RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lighted entry handle

I always wondered why they didn't light our entry handle. I am glad I decided to do this because I found water trapped behind the top part and it made the fiberglass bubble. With tiny weep holes now that won't happen again. It turned out to be a very easy mod. I already had a bag of led lights and changed the porch light out to led at the same time.

I removed the handle and drilled out the bottom hole with a stepper bit. The led was a standard 1 pin type bulb that replaces the standard automotive bulb. Like a 1157 or such. I soldered a wire lead to it and then used some plumbers goop to hold the bulb snugly in place. A small hole was drilled right through the side into the passenger arm rest area where finding power and ground was easy.

The job was so easy I took the little eye type lights that light up the steps out, popped the bulbs out of them, drilled the back plastic with my stepper bit and glued the same bulbs to them. Nice crisp light and very little current draw.

Here are some pictures. I didn't take one after dark with it lit up so I will add that tonight.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that is a big LED light for that handle. I just fixed mine and used one LED bulb that I bought from Radio Shack with a 875 ohm resistor in series. Your handles are going to be the brightest on the campground.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #3

FANTASTIC JOB WITH THE LIGHTS IN YOUR ENTRY HANDLE...JUST WHEN I WAS GETTING CAUGHT UP WITH MY..TO DO LIST... YOU GUYS PUT OUT ANOTHER IDEA..
KEEP THE IDEAS COMING, I'LL ALWAYS FIND MORE TIME..

THX
TED
Old 06-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Mine came with lights in them already but two of the three handles went dark on me. Hard to believe that LEDs can fail.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
YC1

I can't seem to figure out how to edit my original post and add pictures I took last night. The handle is not all that bright.

The last picture is showing the eyeball lights with new led's instead of the finger burners that were inside.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
YC1

I may add a yellow filter lens after testing it out for a few days.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, mine are just a soft glow. Yours light up the whole area which is good.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
YC1..... I saw your post on this yesterday.......you did a nice job. I didn't initially respond because I didn't want to take anything away from your post until you posted about dimming it down some. I did something similar a few years ago. I had some LED's and bought several others and set out soldering many together to make the perfect light. (When I made mine, LED's were not as prevalent or cheap and I knew nothing about working with them). I'm guessing I spent $20.00 on experimentation. I figured since mine didn't come with a lighted handle, I would have to design the light assemblymounting on my own.

Finally, I went to my local Moanco dealer and he had the stock LED that comes in the Monaco handles. It was $9.00 . Several of my experiments were either too bright, too dull or look like a whore house. The stock one was "just right".

Finish up the lights and get busy on the steering control.....
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
YC1

Thanks. The linear actuator has been ordered for the steering. My wife was amused by that and remembered how I used electric trim in the airplane I built. Maybe I will couple it to the gps and have an autopilot. Kidding of course. Maybe not. Hmmmm?

We are going over the Sierras tomorrow so the fan and steering will get the first real road test.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Mine came with lights in them already but two of the three handles went dark on me. Hard to believe that LEDs can fail.
My rig has just one lighted grab handle, Like yours I was surprised at how fast it failed. I replaced the LED from stock (I dabble in electronics and am certified in the field) and it lasted, About a week.

So I measured the resistor that was in the assembly 150 Ohms. I did the math with the new JUMBO LED I put in to replace it.. I think it's now 650 OHms. I see you went with 850 OHms.

The small resistor is what fries them faster than you can say "REPLACE IT"

For non-electronic types in the forum....

Think of a water system.. A "resistor" is a bit like a flow restrictor (you know that washer in the shower head with the tiny hole)

The "Bigger" the resistor, the smaller the hole.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Most LEDs seem to handle about .015 amps safely. So if you have a 12 volt power to the LED you use Ohms Law and divide 12 volts by .015 amps and you will come up with the size resistor needed. R=12/.015 which the answer is 800 ohms. Most LEDs come in a package that will have the current handling written on it.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, two things wrong with your math Mike

1: The voltage drop across the LED has to be subtracted from not 12, but 13.6. I actually used 14 for my calculations when I picked the resistance I used.

The LED I use is a Jumbo, High Brightness, Takes higher current.. Which is why the difference in resistance.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing wrong with my math,12 or 13.6v will not make much difference to it, 800 ohms or 900 ohms either one. One normally assumes 12 volts for all. Yes a Jumbo LED will be a little different but it is written on the package as to what the current handling is. Still Ohms Law to compute it out.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would like to do this mod...but why is a resister required? The origional post made no mention of it. Also I have replaced a number if my interior coach lights with leds..no resistor and they seem to work fine. What am I missing here?

fillbert is offline   Reply With Quote