Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
The repair was a complete unit. ( Pump, motor, resevoir) The cause of failure was the same as described above. The hydraulic fluid leaked through the pump and into the motor. The motor finally just quit. It was fully covered by Monaco.

Looking at the replacement unit now, it appears to be doing the same thing. About 7 months since the repair. Man, not looking forward to this again....
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Coach

Did Lippert give you a warranty on the new unit? I am going to have to pay for this one because Monaco and Lippert will not honor 09 Monaco warranties. I am concerned that you are having a repeat problem and am curious about the replacement warranty of the replacement. Thanks.

Randy
rrlirv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
I really don't know what they might do about this unit. It was put in at South Haven RV just south of Memphis. After getting another leaking unit, I would think that Lipp. would need to step up. Two bad units doing the same thing is action line time. Good luck.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #18

Actually I wonder if a report to NHTSA might be in order.....this item can cause an electrical short/fire.....maybe by getting NHTSA to force a recall on a fire causing unit...that would have to be corrected by the unit's manufacturer, Lippert, who is still in business. NHTSA.gov...they came through for me when I had a spare tire fly off twice on my Coachmen gasser.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Oh brother :(.......not thrilled reading THIS string :( I have a new 09 Cayman with a lippert system (slide/jacks). I purchased it May 27th, got to admire it in my driveway for a couple days then never saw it again until August. First, the slide blew fuses, then the jacks wouldn't retract, then the pump motor fried. In the (almost) end, my dealer (bless his heart) picked up the $1600(?) tab to repace the entire unit (as per Lippert). Brought it back home, cycled the "auto" procedure a couple times with no mishaps (other than it raises my back wheels off the ground??)....took it too a Dealer Rally where it leaked a puddle of fluid :( Dealer techs took a look and cycled the system with no leakage?? Brought it home, put the slide out and found another puddle :( Bottom line....it was a busted spare port O-ring. wrapped telflon tape around it and so far, no leaks!

I'm a novice RV'r and am not aware you're not SUPPOSE to "fall off the jacks", as mine (also) seems to do. Now that the hydraulics "seem" to be working.....I'm more concerned why I can't level the coach without at least one or more wheels coming off the ground?? Manual says, "don't DO that" :( I've made 2" wood pads and everything :( I'm about to attempt a "zero level" calibration :( And now you guys have me worried about fluid in the motor! :( Geez
Jpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #20

Here's the problem: The dealer replaced your unit but probably never set the zero point on the jack pad....You are going to have to level manually...If you don't know how to do this send me a private message and I will explain it. If you do know how to level manually, then do so , then set zero point

Here's the link to it...

http://www.lci1.com/OwnersManuals/Le...veling-Web.pdf

Remember, slides out, Dump air as best as you can, then level...

At least your dealer came through for you, whereas as mine and another friend who has this problem has shut its doors after 43 yrs in business.

Get a note to NHTSA.gov and let's get Lippert to recall these units. I have an exact address if you wish to send me a private message. Once they realize a fire can start they will light a fire under LCI.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
First, thanks so much for the link to the Owners Manual. Why I didn't get one with the coach, I don't know. I've had to go to the "Lippert Sheets" previously, and printed out the leveling procedures. The complete Manual is more informative

I believe the dealer did do a zero point after installation, at least I asked them to do it, and when they called to tell me the rig was ready for pick-up, the Service Rep told me they were "setting my electronics", which I assume was the zero point. However, I'm considering trying my hand at it again. The last time (and first), I grabbed my carpenters level, followed the Lippert sheet instructions verbatum, set the zero point in manual, hit the "auto" and managed to raise all back wheels a foot off the ground! Oops :( Ok, so maybe my carpenters level lied to me.....or I'm a dummy :( Before I get into this again, only one question: On a reasonably level (to the naked eye) RV Pad, with slides out and dumped air, should I expect to be able to level/support the coach without raising ANY wheels off the ground? I haven't been able to do that yet!......in the 4 commercial RV Pads I've parked on thus far.....nor my driveway :( I tried Manual this last weekend at a resort, and still raised one rear wheel about an inch off the ground :( I'm going to assume the LCI System does not have a built-in level sensor if it's own......correct? So you have to be sitting on a perfectly level spot to do a correct "zero point"?

I'll pm you for the NHTSA address......and thanks for the assistance!
Jpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #22

HR Neptune 37PDQ

I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! I have the same 3 point system and have found that to actually get my coach level I have to use the manual mode and put a level on the floor. When I used the auto mode the jacks lifted my back end and my front jack didn't even come down and the green light came on saying I was level. Not even close. The jacks seemed to retract ok. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all my slides are electric no hydraulics..
Thanks

PS I just ordered one of those battery operated levels to place on the floor when leveling that I saw on this forum. Can't wait to get it.
time2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #23

time2go:

When you get that level thing....use the instruction link I provided earlier in the thread and once you are level, set the zero point..that's why you are having a problem...I was there and watched the dealer set the point and made sure they did it right. I level perfectly using auto although we generally don't boondock.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:12 PM   #24

Will do if I can find the posting. After further checking my paperwork says I have a power gear unit. Is that the same as the Lippert or is the Lippert just on the models with the hydraulic slides and jacks. I'm confused???? Thanks Again.
time2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2go View Post
Will do if I can find the posting. After further checking my paperwork says I have a power gear unit. Is that the same as the Lippert or is the Lippert just on the models with the hydraulic slides and jacks. I'm confused???? Thanks Again.
Power Gear was bought out by Lippert
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:52 AM   #26

Power Gear units were manufactured by Lippert and had the Power Gear label slapped on them. LCI units are exactly and precisely the same. Power Gear certain assets were taken by Lippert and the rest of Power Gear no one can seem to get on the phone.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2009 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41 PDQ - just had a hydraulic failure while camping. I have the Lippert system, which operates the front two slides and the three point leveling system. Had jacks down and four slides out, and system wouldn't operate the levelers any more after I tried to go manual to improve the automatic leveling. I think I kept the level extend button on beyond that which I should have. Got a tech up who got the jacks retracted by resetting a breaker at the battery. But when he waqs checking the operation of the system, it stopped working again. The slides wouldn't work, and then nothing worked. He thinks the hydraulic motor failed, causing fuse and breaker problems when trying to operate the system. So we retracted manually, with the drill motor per the OM instructions. All retracted, and I'm about to contact my General Warranty for repair instructions. The tech believes the hydraulic motor failed, and was causing the electrical problems as a result (caused overloads).
It sounds like Lippert systems have a problem with
1) retration - when I retract, I've had alot of "not smooth" retraction. I think if I keep the button depressed, instead of the single pushing the button, it works better, more smoothly. Does this indicate a pending failure, or is this they way the system works?
2) When I auto level, it seems the front goes too high. It levels (or did) no problem, but I noticed this.
Has anyone replaced the motor and lived "happily ever after"? It sounds that the auto leveling system is kaputt afterwards. Is Lippert a deadbeat on assisting? I guess they don't offer any initial year warranty?
thanks
Tim
Timturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Tim,
I have the same year make and model coach. In a previous post in this thread you can read about my Lippert issues.

My failure was caused by the seal between the pump and the electric motor leaking and allowing hydraulic oil to leak into the motor, shorting it out (and tripping the circuit). You should check the end of the motor where you attached the drill and socket to crank the pump to see if any oil is seeping from the small hole in the end of the motor. (It’s in the middle of the nut you were turning).. The motorhome “falling” off the jacks is a symptom of this as is the 150 amp breaker tripping as the electric motor is dead shorted.

If you can diagnose this as oil in the motor, then Lippert Components will warranty the entire unit, send you a new assembly and allow your shop three hours of labor to change it out…more than enough time. They did this for my coach 2 weeks ago after first refusing to cover the problem in August because they were not paid by Monaco Coach. It is now fixed and I was going to post my results for the board tomorrow, but you should know this now.

There is an investigation request in at the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration - Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) regarding this issue, and my feeling is that Lippert now wants to do the “right thing”

I would check the motor, but also call Lippert no matter what you find as the seal issue is the most likely diagnosis. If I can help further please PM me.

Good Luck
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulics, jacks, lippert, pump failure