Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Living Room carpet GONE

Finally got fed up enough with the LR carpet and tore it out. Replaced it with a floating vinyl planking made by MetroFlor. No glue involved, each plank has contact cement on tabs that match with the adjacent planks. It took longer to tear up the carpet, remove the staples and prep the floor than it did to actually install the planking. The planking is well below the slides so I am not concerned with scratching the slides. I removed the front of the couch to allow the planking to be installed well behind the front of the coach. I raised the curb side carpet and was able to install the planking about 1/4" away from the slide bar. I installed heavy duty rubber matting with ridges under the drivers seat. I considered installing the same ceramic tile that is in the dining/kitchen and entry but it was installed on a diagonal and a radius where it met the carpet which would have been a huge job. I had a difficult time finding a transition between the tile and planking that could follow the radius. Follow-up project will be the stair well and possibly the road side slide. The stair well should be simple but am concerned that the cabinets and refer will be a huge issue. Total cost for the 100 sq ft of planking and other items was about $400 and about 3 day of labor to install.

So happy the carpet is gone.

Also removed captain chairs to make it easier to work on plank installation. Took the opportunity to have the foam replaced. Much better support.

Did not want carpet or planking under cockpit area. Rubber mat can be easily removed for replacment or cleaning.

Home Depot also carries the MetroFlor line of planking. They call it Allure. The planking I selected is a grade above the Allure and was a better color match than the Allure and about $1.25 per sq ft more expensive.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #2

NICE JOB! Really looks professionally done. It must have been fun getting the carpet out under the slide. Did you remove the slide completely or just jack it up and support it?
Chet
Old 03-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Nice job.....What did you use for the transition material? It really sets off the project and makes it look nice/professional. Really gives it a quality look!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #4

I have a nearly identical design in my Tiffin and am also interested in what you used for the edge of the laminate, and it looks like it edges the removable mat in the driver's area (?) so it must be easily taken up?

Very nice job!
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Looks great!

Brenda, of...
Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice job! We have the same type flooring in our coach. Sure is easy to keep clean and looks good. Good job. Curious, what is that hanging on your radio?
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Nice job.....What did you use for the transition material? It really sets off the project and makes it look nice/professional. Really gives it a quality look!
Don,
The transition is a "Tee" transition that presses into an aluminum channel that was nailed to the floor. Beauty of the rubber transition is that it can be easily removed should it be damaged. I was wary that it would make the radius with bunching up on the inside of the curve but it worked out great.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgarc View Post
I have a nearly identical design in my Tiffin and am also interested in what you used for the edge of the laminate, and it looks like it edges the removable mat in the driver's area (?) so it must be easily taken up?

Very nice job!
The rubber transition (tee) fits into a channel that is nailed (or glued) to the subfloor. It is easily removed (kinda) and cheap to replace.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Time View Post
Very nice job! We have the same type flooring in our coach. Sure is easy to keep clean and looks good. Good job. Curious, what is that hanging on your radio?
I installed an XM radio tuner that is connected to the aux inputs of the Magnadyne. Don't use the Magnadyne anymore except as an amp for the sat radio and clock.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 03-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #10

mark, have you thought of going to the business really looks great! jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs up

Impressive Mark I also like the Idea of the rubber mat, Thumbs up!

Walt 2000 Dyn
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #12
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Really professional looking job!!
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I used Allure, but ran it in the other direction. I think yours looks a lot better.
Nice job.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Very nice job....looks great. Can I schedule mine for re-flooring ...willing to travel
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote