Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Location of Fuel Sending Unit for a 2004 HR Ambassador

Does anyone know the location of the fuel sending unit on a 2004 Holiday Rambler Ambassador? Is it accessible?
Burkholb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

On my 07 Neptune its a Centroid brand and it is on the top of the tank. Pretty sure Monaco/hr used the same setup for many years. Is yours not working or registering wrong? These sometimes require readjustment as time goes on . Fortunately I have not had to do that so I'm not sure of exact procedure but I do not think it is very difficult.
Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Burkholb......There should be a panel on the driver's side where the fuel door is located that isn't designed to open. If you look under this panel, there are two screws securing it closed. Remove the screws and the panel will lift up exposing your fuel tank. You'll need a broom handle to hold it open. Look in about 18" and you'll see the sending unit. Sometimes they'll go haywire and a readjustment will correct it. Most elect to replace them, but I found that a readjustment cured mine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

Thanks Don. You were correct on the location of the sending unit. What mine is doing is the fuel gauge will show the correct amount then all of a sudden it will go to the "full" mark and stay there. This seems to be intermittent. How do you readjust the sending unit?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

Thanks, see my reply to Diplomat Don. Mine seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it will register correctly and then sometimes it will go to "full" and stay there.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Burkholb.....Here is a link to the Centroid site http://www.centroidproducts.com/moncal.htm. Usually the sending unit is covered in undercoating spray and needs to be cleaned off. It's been a long time since I adjusted mine, but there are some screws on the top of the unit. One is for empty and one is for full. I don't recall if they're marked. If they aren't, call Centroid, they'll tell you which one is which. DON'T mess with the empty one, it would be too hard to correct.

Fill your coach and take to a level spot. Make sure the wires to the unit are clean and tight. Give the "full" screw a turn and then check your gauge with the ignition on. You have to give it 30 seconds to settle. I knew that when mine was adjusted to about an 1/8" past the full mark, it was a good spot for me. That spot meant that at a half tank I had used about 40-45 gallons which would be realistically a half tank of useable fuel.

I adjusted mine when new and then it acted up like yours in year 6. Centroid said I had algae issues....I knew I didn't. They wanted me to replace the unit. I decided to adjust it again and that fixed the problem. It's worked fine since.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #7

Burkholb,
I have the same coach you have and had the fuel gauge problem about 2 years after purchase.
Went through Centroid and they sent me some instructions via email. Try this contact joel7@cfl.rr.com. Not sure Joel still works at Centroid or if his address is still the same but its worth a shot. The instructions had me taking voltage measurements of the different terminals for troubleshooting purposes. They also tried to tell me I had a algae problem which I didn't.
The gauge would sporadically work and then quit again and end up on full. I wasn't as fortunate as Don in that I couldn't get it to work while attempting to adjust it so I had it replaced while having other service work done.
Hope this helps.
Letsgoagain
Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
Burkholb,
I have the same coach you have and had the fuel gauge problem about 2 years after purchase.
Went through Centroid and they sent me some instructions via email. Try this contact joel7@cfl.rr.com. Not sure Joel still works at Centroid or if his address is still the same but its worth a shot. The instructions had me taking voltage measurements of the different terminals for troubleshooting purposes. They also tried to tell me I had a algae problem which I didn't.
The gauge would sporadically work and then quit again and end up on full. I wasn't as fortunate as Don in that I couldn't get it to work while attempting to adjust it so I had it replaced while having other service work done.
Hope this helps.
Letsgoagain
Thank you. But I found out that the sending unit in my coach is a Beede 0/90 ohm with a part number of 01806202. so far I have found a couple of them still available but the cost is $260 + shipping. I wonder if there is a cheaper replacement sending unit I can install rather than the Beede?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

Fuel Sending unit

I found out that my 2004 HR Ambassador has a Beede 0/90 ohm type sending unit. I have located some but the cost is up there around $260 + shipping. Does anyone know if there is a cheaper unit out there that I can replace it with?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #10

Smile Thanks

I would like to thank all who replied to this thread. I contacted Centroid and talked with Joel via email and got the correct part number. I ordered a new sending unit from them to replace the broken one. The cost was only $72 and that included shipping cost. I would certainly encourage others who may have this problem to contact Centroid. The dealers and other suppliers of sending units mark up the product....$272+ shipping.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a note to others...My Centroid unit didn't register correctly when I first bought the coach and I corrected it by adjusting the screw settings. In 2010, my gauge started doing what "Burkholb's" was doing. I was told by Centroid that it was algae on the gauge. I knew it wasn't algae and readjusted the gauge before replacing it. It has worked fine since. If you're on the road, you might want to try adjusting before replacing. Otherwise, buying a new one is pretty reasonable.

Tags
fuel