Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 04:34 PM   #15

Sounds like I can echo much of what others have said. I bought my 2004 Diplomat when it was a year old, so have had it 10 years now and used for full-timing. I have had ZERO issues with the chassis other than normal maintenance. With heavy use, house systems have needed some repair/replacement, but probably typical. My main disappointment is that the sidewalls eventually displayed "checking" in the paint due to defective fiberglass panels. That was not Monaco's fault, but the supplier. If this unit has original paint and no checking, it is probably OK.

I have also upgraded things like the TVs, replaced pleated shades with MCD Duo throughout, new slide topper and window awnings, residential fridge, new convection/micro, replaced toilet.

If it looks well maintained and has records, probably a good choice.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgagne View Post
I have the same coach and have owned it for 9 years, reliable overall. I did have the side wall separation problem, sounds worse than it was. Check for leaks front drivers side as well as around the engine air intake. Check all chalking around the roof/sidewall. It is an aluminum roof, sealed with eternabond. Pm me if you have any questions
Thanks, the caulking and taping has been recently done so it looks good. How did you handle the separation problem if it ever occurs?
Parkman Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkcas01 View Post
Sounds like I can echo much of what others have said. I bought my 2004 Diplomat when it was a year old, so have had it 10 years now and used for full-timing. I have had ZERO issues with the chassis other than normal maintenance. With heavy use, house systems have needed some repair/replacement, but probably typical. My main disappointment is that the sidewalls eventually displayed "checking" in the paint due to defective fiberglass panels. That was not Monaco's fault, but the supplier. If this unit has original paint and no checking, it is probably OK.

I have also upgraded things like the TVs, replaced pleated shades with MCD Duo throughout, new slide topper and window awnings, residential fridge, new convection/micro, replaced toilet.

If it looks well maintained and has records, probably a good choice.
Thank you for the information. The owners have full timed in it and have made many updates with records. The only problem they have not been able to resolve is the ATC light remains on. They have gone to many different shops and called direct to Oregon for help, but have not resolved it. I have been reading the various links on this and they indicated that they have replaced the filters without resolving. They have been told that it is a glitch and not to worry about.it.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
No, rear radiator coaches pull a lot of dirt and road grime because the fan is actually backwards ( blows the hot air out the back towards tow car). Cleaning is done from the inside towards the rear, and should be done yearly depending on miles. The thing to look out for is any engine oil leaks or seaps,as this clogs the radiator faster,also monaco had a run of bad aluminum radiators on rear radiator coaches in the 2000 to 2003, these had the transmission oil cooler integral inside the radiator, when it fails you get coolant into the trans and makes for a costly repair, check for an external trans oil cooler,that should be mounted under the radiator.
I will check on the radiator, thank you, still learning about diesels. Hope this is not a dumb question, but how is the radiator cleaned? Is that something I can do or do I need to have the work done at a shop? Thanks again for all the helpful information.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #19

As far as the wall separation here is one of the best posts on the subject. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/roof...on-259639.html
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgagne View Post
As far as the wall separation here is one of the best posts on the subject. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/roof...on-259639.html
Thanks for the link, I should have done a search on that, my bad.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #21

The ATC light staying on does seem to be a glitch. I discovered that if I tap the brakes with the parking brake released and the transmission in N before taking off that the light will go off and stay off until re-started. I posted this in another thread and someone responded that theirs did the same.