Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Looking for a new to me coach

I have been looking at 04-06 Windsors or Dynastys, are there any special problems I need to look for? So far I have looked at severial that look good. Thanks
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I have a Windsor and I love it I think it is as good as any coach made. The quality is good and I've had very few problems. The paint is beautiful and I get a lot of compliments.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #3

I just bought a 2003 windsor 36pbd with the 370hp and we love it,well made and and excellent quality,love the one piece windshield.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Both are beautiful, well built coaches. Monaco used a Firestone air leveling system for a while in the '05-06 Windsors and it turned out to be problematic. If you are interested in a tag axle coach then the Dynasty in those year represents a great value. They are built on the S Series semi monocoque chassis which is very strong and the handling and road manners are second to none.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I would agree with Steve as I have the 05 dynasty 42 tag and the ride is excellent along with the quality interior furnishings, cabinetry and layout on my 4 slide diamond IV. I am having to sell mine and have had it on the market for sale but only listed on this and one other site. I have not been aggressively trying to sell but it looks like the time has come. Have become a caretaker for a parent and can no longer travel any length of time. We have been exceptionally pleased with it for the past three years and it has never let us down when on the road. I have owned a number of recreational vehicles over the years including two other Monaco fifth wheels but the workmanship in my 05 is head and shoulders above my fifth wheels. For a production line coach, Monaco got it mostly right in these 05 and 06 model years. One other observation you may be interested in. In 2005 Monaco raised the interior ceiling height in the dynasty and also shortened the TV box in the front to help prevent the "head bump" when entering the area. There are some other differences that you can review at this archive page. http://www.monacocoach.com/monaco/brochures
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #6

have the 04Windsor and we are very happy. haven't had any particular outside of normal problems.
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We are actively looking at '03-'06 Dynastys also. The only thing I am aware of besides the the due diligence is the ISL wrist pin issue. Some ISL's ESN 46543077 to 46603939 produced in '05-'06.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coma,
When I bought my dynasty, I was not aware of the wrist pin issue but I got lucky on my 05 as my engine serial number did not fall in that range. I though I was well informed before I bought but missed that and just got lucky I guess. I understand that if the engine fails in that range, that the problem will happen fairly early in the engine life. If it gets through that early mileage, then the problem is not likely to happen.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46
Coma,
When I bought my dynasty, I was not aware of the wrist pin issue but I got lucky on my 05 as my engine serial number did not fall in that range. I though I was well informed before I bought but missed that and just got lucky I guess. I understand that if the engine fails in that range, that the problem will happen fairly early in the engine life. If it gets through that early mileage, then the problem is not likely to happen.
The conventional wisdom is that it will happen early and if it has not happened by now it probably won't. Not necessarily true. I heard of one turning loose just a month or so ago with around 50 k on the clock. There is no real fix from Cummins as they just de rate the engine somewhat and install a sensor system to warn of impending failure. I personally would not take a chance when there are so many non affected engines around.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Dark colored paint can be an issue. Small spider web type cracking in the gel coat can occur. I have seen little and some rather large. Certainly not a deal breaker, and you have to look pretty close on most of it. Avoiding black paint could be a good idea. If you are tall, look for the higher ceiling heights...a few inches does make a big difference. If you can swing the tag...go for it. We have had 40' on both chassis and the tag is a dream to drive/ride. You usually pick up the third a/c and a 10k constant speed genset in most of the DY lines. Monaco offered tons of options, so you really have to see each coach, some DYs are almost an Exec with all the goodies, minus the bigger engine of course. The 05-07 was still pre crash times and people were ordering some pretty decked out units.

Enjoy the hunt.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
If it gets through that early mileage, then the problem is not likely to happen.
That's what I had understood also. Steve's info derails that. There are so many things to keep track of. I was a bit shy of a very nice Beaver Patriot the other day, an '04, that I had thought was included in the ISL issue. Not so.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Dark colored paint can be an issue. Small spider web type cracking in the gel coat can occur. I have seen little and some rather large. Certainly not a deal breaker, and you have to look pretty close on most of it. Avoiding black paint could be a good idea. If you are tall, look for the higher ceiling heights...a few inches does make a big difference. If you can swing the tag...go for it. We have had 40' on both chassis and the tag is a dream to drive/ride. You usually pick up the third a/c and a 10k constant speed genset in most of the DY lines. Monaco offered tons of options, so you really have to see each coach, some DYs are almost an Exec with all the goodies, minus the bigger engine of course. The 05-07 was still pre crash times and people were ordering some pretty decked out units.

Enjoy the hunt.
I enjoyed reading your statement regarding the spider web type cracking. I have a 2006 Diplomat having black, gold and grey paint. The black portion on the drivers side and a rear is cracked. However, it is not something most people would notice. The curb side and front is perfect. I thought it was just an isolated case mine being the only one. I learned something from you. I'm possibly going to have it repaired in the future. Thanks again for your coment!
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote