RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looking to purchase a 2011 Cayman 40 PBQ

I read in an older thread on this site that they only have 4 airbags and have a rough ride. I read in the Monaco brochure from 2011 that they have 8. This coach has the RR8R chassis. Maybe that was an older and smaller coach? Anyone know and can anyone tell me the good or bad about this coach? I have a 2006 Knight 38 PDQ I would be trading in... not much info out there...

Thanks

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #2

We own a 2011 HR Neptune PBQ which is the same coach. That MH does have the RR8R chassis. The only problem we have had was bad o-rings on the hydraulic pump motor. The repair was covered by a recall. Ours is 41 with 4 slides. The Cayman should be the same. We are at 44K miles with no major issues. The ISC 360 Cummins moves the coach quite well.

LA RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a very good up grade. I would change the steering box to a Shepard and have Van's X bars installed along with Watts links front and rear.. New Koni FSD Shocks along with other improvements and you will have a real keeper.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Sounds like a very good up grade. I would change the steering box to a Shepard and have Van's X bars installed along with Watts links front and rear.. New Koni FSD Shocks along with other improvements and you will have a real keeper.
Are those DIY jobs or do I have to have a chassis shop do that work? Also, About how much $$$ would that be in parts? Thanks!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Stevie, just drive it and find out if it's OK for you.
If you really want an F1, it will be very costly with any MH...
Dynasty_09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #6

I have a 2008 Cayman PDQ with four slides and the RR4R chassis, it used to ride rough until I did the upgrades. Its a very good coach with no major issues. Your 2011 with 8 bags should ride very good.

Note: I bought the coach in Utah and drove it home to California I didn't notice it's rough ride until I crossed the California border. That tells you something about California roads.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have the 2011 cayman 40pbq and have owned it for 4 years. I would say it is better than average for repair costs. I don't find it rough riding but have only driven it. I have replaced 2 of the slide roof shade covers, sealed a few roof leaks, (have a look at the seal at the very back on the roof where the back cap joins the roof.) It is some kind of flexible membrane that tends to crack. just cover with eternabond or dicor tape and then coat with liguid dicor 501. Same for any slide roof leaks. I have one a/c unit giving me trouble so it will be replaced. The large relay in the house battery compartment failed twice. It paralells the chassis batt. to the house batt. any time that one is being charged to keep the other charged. It also allows you to jump start a failing chassis batt. to start the engine or visa versa to start the gen set. I replaced it with a manually operated switch and it works much better. It should be longer lived as it is spring loaded on both the open and close stroke. The lippert pump had to be replaced for the slides and jacks about a year ago. I guess to some this may seem like a lot but from what Ive seen of others rigs it is less than average repairs. I am just now replacing the house batt which was the tall big ones X 4 with regular sized deep cycle batts. We dont boon dock much. One cell is going bad so rather than strain the charger/inverter I will bite that bullet.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
FixerCQI,
If you have a 2011 Cayman, you have the RR8R chassis, which is very good riding compare to the RR4R...
You're lucky. Not much to do!
Dynasty_09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You can download the 2011 Cayman brochure here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-r...ownload&y=2011

It says the Cayman is built on the RR8R chassis and powered by a Cummins 360hp ISC.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 2011 Cayman PBQ 40. Our chassis has 8 airbags with 8 shock absorbers and I have no complaint about the ride. Ours was one of the last built and has the Navistar L10 engine. Have had no problems other than the hydraulic pump seal which was replaced under warranty and subsequent hydraulic pump failure that was not.

We like ours a lot, no regrets.

3 Birds is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase