RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #15

I don't understand you saying you have a 50 amp, 30 amp and 20 amp on the display.
Amps can only be read on what is being used. The wiring on mine is a horror show,
right from the factory. I have had to change wiring back the way it was supposed to be.
Luckily I have gotten the wiring diagrams so I know how it was supposed to be.
Check you isolator to see if it is ok, maybe that is what is stopping it from charging.

oldguy70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesView View Post
all of the plugs on my CFCI circuit in the coach are not working. The CFCI in the bathroom won't reset. I've replaced that before. But when I plugged in my voltage meter to the outlet in the kitchen, it doesn't show a number, but displays 'open neutral'.
Do you mean "GFCI" Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. If you have an open neutral (or no power on the circuit) it wont reset. It could be a problem in your transfer switch. You should pop off the cover and make sure nothing is burnt. Check that the wire connections/screws are tight (be sure you are not plugged in and gen is not running when you do this).

Try running generator. Do you have power to GFCI receptacles now?

Quote:
when I first plugged it in the display acknowledged 50 amp like it should. But now it reads 30 amp and when you try to change it, it goes between 20 and 30.
What display are you looking at (i.e. Xantrex or Managnum display)? What button are you pressing to "try to change it"? What are you trying to change?

On my Xantrex inverter there is a setting for how much shore power (amps) are coming in (for example, I have mine set to 15A since I'm on a 20A power cord plugged into garage outlet). Is this the setting your talking about? Something like shown in photo below.

If not, tell us what Inverter and Transfer switch you have, and hopefully we can help you figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Set Shore Power.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	214238  

CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:51 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The EMS status display

Peter, the display I'm talking is on the wall by the bathroom. It has all of the switches on it, like turning on the pump, water heater. It shows the status of the tanks, etc. At the top, there is a panel that is called Smart EMS Load Meter. When you plug in, it will show the incoming power as whatever amps it recognizes, like 50, 30, 20. This is what I was looking at when I made the statement about first it showed 50 coming in, then in my problem determination, I had unplugged the land line power and re-plugged it in. Next time I looked, it was displaying 30. There is a button you can press to change or override it (I guess). When I pressed it, it toggled back and forth from 30 to 20, but would not recognize that it has 50 amps coming in like it should have.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
CountryB, I have a Xantrex inverter. I don't know what transfer switch I have. I will report back after I check it like you suggested. I did check the GFCI with the generator running and still got the 'neutral open' as well as could not reset the one in the bathroom. So same results with shore power and generator. I don't remember if the EMS displayed any different with the generator running versus shore power. I will have time to check today.

Thank you all for taking time with your suggestions!

Beth
Old 08-08-2018, 05:53 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Which ever Transfer switch you have, it will be basically the same. If you lost the neutral wire going into coach that could explain the problem you are having. Lots of RVers have reported problems due to wire terminal screws loosening up over time. That causes increased resistance and heat, and can burn up the wires. It's a good idea to check these screws (and the ones in your circuit breaker box) every couple of years.

This is a pic of the SurgeGuard Transfer switch. In my coach it is mounted in the basement ceiling of last compartment (before drive axle).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	214332  
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #20

Okay guys the upper end coaches don't have the EMS ( energy management sys)

I guess Monaco thought you guys would always have 50 amps .

My Windsor has an EMS so its Windsor down has it .

Beth , you realize that the EMS and your alternator probably can't
be connected except the coach was in the hands of incompetents .
Who knows what curious people might fiddle with .

If you are still near the shop that rebuilt the alternator take the coach

over to them .
They have to be more competent than the first shop .
Tom mentioned earlier is also a good recommendation .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
RamiDav, Yes I absolutely understand difference between the alternator and house electrical problem. AND I agree with you about incompetent repair people.

In the meantime, I checked the transfer switch. It looks brand new, no burnt anything. Did not check screws though. I will do that next.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Do you have a Battery Control center on your Coach ?
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:49 AM   #23

Quote:
So I went over and picked the coach up yesterday. I will have to say, I am not happy! First of all, this is a Cummins repair shop. They made that clear. According to them, they were going out of their way to help me with the alternator, so I appreciated that. But I still have a Alt.Charge light on, on my dash as well as the volt gauge shows below 12 volts charging. When I turn the lights on, the gauge goes down to almost 10. So nothing as far as I'm concerned has changed.
Sorry I am late to the conversation. We had a similar problem with our coach some years back and the problem was traced back to a corrosion issue with a connection terminal where the alternator connects to the coach. I would like to give you more information, but when I asked the shop for more, they could not give me any further information. I only know when they fixed the corroded connection our system got back to 14 volt charging with no more problems. (I had the alternator rebuild simply because it was so corroded and I did not trust it to continue charging.)

You may want to follow Bill767's suggestion and call Tom at Elkhart Sales and Service. You need someone who really know electrical on this. Cummins is not your best source on this.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:13 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
My Next Move

Thank you to all that have offered help. I will call Elkhart Sales today to see when Tom can look at our coach. I just don't know enough about dc electric to try alot more. It seems like we have a problem with one or more house batteries too. I'm thinking that they went dead over at Cummins. I had asked them to plug it in, but maybe they didn't get to it soon enough. They are 3 years old, so I guess that could push them over the edge. I will have them checked anyway.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you to all that have offered help. I will call Elkhart Sales today to see when Tom can look at our coach. I just don't know enough about dc electric to try alot more. It seems like we have a problem with one or more house batteries too. I'm thinking that they went dead over at Cummins. I had asked them to plug it in, but maybe they didn't get to it soon enough. They are 3 years old, so I guess that could push them over the edge. I will have them checked anyway.
Vern,

I can't help with your first or second problem, but before you replace batteries that have been over-drained, try this: disconnect them completely, including 6V battery pairing connections. Charge each battery separately for 24 hours on a good quality battery charger. If that doesn't bring them back, get a professional load test on proper equipment (not Harbor Fright). Every time I've inadvertently flattened batteries, this process restored them.
Note: if they are flooded batteries be sure the water level is correct before charging.

Cheers,
Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Charging Batteries

Bob,

Yes, that is exactly what I started doing yesterday. I've got all 6V's uncabled and two on two different chargers as we speak. I'll do the other two next. The first one that I hooked up was absolutely dead and now it's over 1/2, so looking good. The other one didn't seem as dead, but taking a charge as well.

Thank you for the advice!

Beth
Old 09-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Resolution

HI all,

I got all 4 house batteries fully charged and the inverter still wasn't acting like it was charging. The control panel displayed 1/2 charged and in 'bulk' mode. I called Xantrex. The tech on the phone ran me through some checks and said we had more than one problem with the inverter. It was not charging and also not providing correct electric to the coach. She told me not to do anything about the GFCI circuit in the coach until we got the inverter fixed. She initiated a ticket and I took the inverter out and brought it to Xantrex in Elkhart where they tested it while we waited. They found the problem immediately. And kept it for a couple of days to replace one of the circuit boards. While I waited for the repair, back home I made sure that the house batteries stayed charged by putting them all back on the charger one at a time. I picked it up a couple of days later and reinstalled. Plugged in the coach and the inverter started charging in 'bulk', then 'absorption', the finally 'float'.

Also, the GFCI circuit is working fine now.

Now what I am needing help on is, how do I tell if the Xantrex is charging the chassis batteries? I have read about a 'bird' and other varieties, but I'm not sure what we have. It sure looks like the two banks are somehow connected. I am including pictures in hopes someone has a setup like ours and can lend advice. I have searched through the manual and cannot find anywhere that it says the engine batteries should be being charged, but it in the past years, I have never had them go dead while camping up until last fall. They have always stayed up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	217613   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	217614  

Name:	battery3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	217615   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery4.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	217616  

Old 09-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
By the way, I contacted Elkhart Sales as some had suggested, back on August 15th and gave them a list of problems I needed addressed. They got back to me with what he could and which ones he could not address. The one with the alternator is one that Tom said he could not work on, and the first opening he had was September 15th, exactly a month later. That is why I took it upon myself to keep digging and found the inverter problem in the meantime and that did correct my house GFCI problem as well as the house battery charging problem. Now I've made an appointment with Speed Wrench up in Hudsonville, MI to get the alternator problem fixed. I need to know if my generator is able to keep my engine batteries charged while I drive it up there (about 2 1/2 hours).

Thanks!

Beth

Tags
ace, alternator, replace