RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Losing Power?

Last month we took a trip from our place to Prince Edward Island, about 1000 miles each way. On our second day/Saturday we lost the belt that runs the alternator and the fan/water pump on Highway 20 in Quebec.

So I was sitting on the side of the road with my engine off and 4 way flashers on when a Quebec provincial cop pulled up in front of me and told me I had to pull the MH off the side of the road.

I tried to explain to him our issue, but he spoke very little English & I speak no French. Finally a Highway Assistance Officer came along and he spoke a little bit of English, enough to tell me that I had to remove the MH off the road or I was liable for a $500-$1000 fine for each day it was on the road and this was Saturday afternoon.

My wife was trying to find a truck garage that was open so we could get some type of road side service. I thought since it was a serpentine belt, it could be repaired on the roadside. But no luck in finding a garage that was open and the only roadside repair could not come out to us could not be there until Sunday.....maybe, if he could find the part.

Anyway to make this story short, I had to limp along the highway going about 1 mile then stopping and waiting until the engine cooled down a bit, then doing it again. All the time the Highway Assitance Officer was getting angrier and angrier, even at the 3 tow trucks that he had called because they knew not how to tow a Motor Home.

So finally we reached a exit ramp and made our way to a Tim Horton's where we pulled into and explained to the only English speaking person our situation and they let us spend the night.

Fortunately, there was a truck garage about 10 miles away and we had all day Sunday to limp there. So we did by doing the same procedure mile by mile, pissing a lot of people off and making some laugh.

Now here is my concern, because we drove with a very hot engine, like with the gauge right at the top of the red, could we have done any damage?

We went through an area of Quebec with very steep roads and I noticed that the MH could not maintain speed going up hill with my toad behind. I can't remember if there was a similar situation previously, but when we were in the Finger Lakes the MH did not maintain speed on some of the hills there also.

But by running it real hot, could it be possible that there was a compression loss and how could this be checked.
How do you go about doing a compression test on a Diesel engine?

Or should I take it to a diesel mechanic and have them check it? My neighbour who is a car mechanic says that this could be very expensive just to have it tested.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

A compression test might be possible. If you can pull the injectors out without removing
the rocker arms other wise a cylinder leakage test is possible. Neither job is simple.

oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I recommend fixing the belt and changing the engine oil/filter. The Cummins ECU will derate and/or shut down the engine when the temperature reaches the programmed limits. This is to protect the engine.
Also check the idler pulleys, alternator, and water pump for smooth running. One of these may have caused the belt failure. When you get time, purchase spare belts and carry them with you.

Best of luck!
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

You may just need to replace the fuel filters to fix the low power issue.
How long has it been since they were changed ?

I can't see how a trooper can make you risk engine damage. Its not your fault if they can't find a tow for you.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
This was in Quebec twinboat, the oddest of all the provinces in Canada.

Tags
power