Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Some salesman switches, (like mine), are heavy duty switches to which the "two large battery type cables" are connected... (NO solenoid is used or needed).
Where is this switch located? If it's back by the batteries, then it's not the type of switch we're talking about when we say a "salesman switch" it's a battery cut off switch and a log of coaches have them in addition to the salesman switch. While the battery cutoff switch can fail, it's not as common as the salesman switch.

The salesman switch we're talking about is right at the entrance door as you first reach or walk into the coach. It turn off most loads, but does not turn off key loads like the refrigerator. Is your switch with the heavy cables right at the entrance door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongenesse View Post
I have lost the 12VDC on the lights under the cabinets on the drivers side only in the kitchen.
If only a few lights are affected, and others work, it's definitely not the salesman switch. You have a blown fuse or broken wire.

Often times, there are multiple fuse panels, and the fuse is not necessarily where you might think. I have a fuse panel in my back bedroom closet, and I assumed it controlled all of the interior circuits, but it doesn't. I was quite surprised to find the fuse for the under cabinet lights to be in the outside front run bay under the driver's seat, where there are a lot of exterior and chassis related fuses.

When looking for a bad fuse, be sure to use a meter or a test light, don't just pull the fuse and look at it. Many times, fuses can look good, but they have a small crack that's impossible to see, and that's enough to make them not work.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDJ View Post
I took the small wires off and taped them separately then since I did not have a bolt of significant size, I took the wire on the aft side of the relay and moved it to the front de and bolted it to the same post. Everything came back on now so I hope that was a good fix. Thanks a bunch Bob
David,

Glad you got it fixed and I may have used the same method but can't remember. We made the trip down to Key West last May because the rates drop way down on May 1st but the weather is still not hot. The only negative we had was the wind was blowing so hard the glass bottom boats would not go on the East side where the best bottom viewing is. The West side is very disappointing. Have fun.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #17

Thanks Bob. We are usually to the Keys by the first week in May for the Songwriters Festival in Key West, but we got delayed and will be there by the 21st. We are flying our 2 oldest grandsons down to meet us there (16 and 17 year olds). It is by far cheaper to visit after May 1st and we have always enjoyed the trip.

I had read and expected that solenoid to fail, I just expected it to fail as we were hooking up. I was surprised it quit while it was already on. I am glad it is done as the things that we all know are going to go bad are getting behind me.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Bob
Good point.
However it is important to note that not ALL salesman switches control a solenoid.
Some salesman switches, (like mine), are heavy duty switches to which the "two large battery type cables" are connected... (NO solenoid is used or needed).
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Where is this switch located? If it's back by the batteries, then it's not the type of switch we're talking about when we say a "salesman switch" it's a battery cut off switch and a log of coaches have them in addition to the salesman switch. While the battery cutoff switch can fail, it's not as common as the salesman switch.
ShapeShifter
The "salesman switch" in my step well, (which turns ON/OFF the house battery voltage to the fuse panel for the 12V powered items in the coach...lights appliances, roof vent fans etc.), looks like this.
NO solenoid is involved/needed/used.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the reply, Mel. It seems unusual that they would run the heavy battery cables to the step well like that, but obviously they did it!
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power