Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #1

Lost House power to entire coach and Engine Comm failure

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG4879.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	86559

Name:	IMAG4878.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	86560

Couple days ago I tried to start my coach and starter turns over fine but will not start engine, on the dash display is shows "Engine Comm Failure", now i have lost all house power, I am plugged to 50 amp and the starter still turns over the engine but no fire...I checked batteries on house and chassis both appear to be fine...i checked fuses (also on inverter) and found the (see pics) F16 fuse which is the ECM2 is melted in the fuse box , and the F15 fuse which is the EMC1 blows when I change it. I found the exact fuse box on line for $99.00 which i am willing to pay for and change...but I guess my question is if I do this is that all there is to solve the problem or will the new one melt also

Roadmaster Chassis, 400 HP cummins, 09' Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 12:49 PM   #2

Why do you want to replace your fuse box. I would bet you have two problems. The first thing I would do is to unplug from shore power snd start your generator and see if you get House power. If you do then most likely the problem is in the incoming shorepower. If you get house power back while on the generator then make sure those ECM fuses are good and try and start the motor. If those fuses blow again then something has shorted out your ECM. Let me know what happens and we can go from there
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:52 PM   #3

Hey Mike thanks for responding.....I don't necessarily want to change the fuse box but I guess my question is do i need to...not sure if the first pics i posted are clear enough to see but as I was saying in previous post the F16 fuse which is the 30amp EMC2 fuse and the socket are MELTED and the F15 fuse which is the 30amp EMC1 fuse BLOWS every time I change it, (I am sending another pics this time the melted circled in red and the one that blows circled in yellow). I am guessing that you can click the pic and it enlarges for you, if not I can take a close up. I will def try what you posted tomorrow when I go back to my office/warehouse and let you know if that helps..Thanks

Name:	IMAG4878.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	86594
Old 02-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Didn't see that. Yes you need to change that fuse box. That kind of damage is normally caused by high resistance in the fuse contacts which in turn cause heat. The big question is then why did that happen. Same thing happens in stick houses when circuit breaker contacts or wire terminals are loose and house fires are started. Hopefully the ECM is still good because they are $1200-$1800 for a new one. You can buy reconditioned ECMs cheaper. Did you ever get your house power back? What worries me is that maybe you lost neutral on shore power for some reason which does all kind of damage to motor homes.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #5

thanks Mike...I switched off the breaker to 50 amp shore and went inside to start generator and its a no go....
Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

so you have lost both 12 volt and 110 volt house power? If it is just 12 volt then check all those Hi Amp breakers in your rear run box and see if any of them have a little lever popped out the side.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #7

Thats correct no 12 volt or 110 power, and I have checked all of the Hi Amp breakers in the rear run box nothing tripped...Does the generator use the house or chassis battery to crank?
Old 02-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

My generator uses the chassis battery to crank so if dry camping you run the house batteries down you can still start the generator. I can only assume it is the same on your MH.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
YC1

If you do not have 110 volts your 12 volt charging system will not function and your batteries have probably run down. Have you put a voltmeter across them? Seems you have more than one problem but fixing the obvious first is important. That being the melted panel.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #10

Mike and YC1 thanks so much for your responses, I have contacted my service guy and will put the coach on diagnostics for the EMC problems and will also address the power problem... will let you guys know the outcome. Hoping its in the wiring to the EMC and not the EMC itself as i'm sure a replacement would be costly. I am very lucky this happened while my coach was sitting in its spot in my office/warehouse as opposed to being on the road.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #11

Meant ECM in the previous post ))

Tags
power