Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Low coolant light

2001 Dynasty. The coolant light is on although the coolant is not low
The expansion tank has a single wire attached to some sensor in the tank.
Short of removing the bulb and associated siren I am unable to solve this problem. (temporary solution)
A dealer connected the diagnostic computer and advised me that the engine was not experiencing any faults and did not need to have any faults cleared.
This has been an ongoing unresolved problem.
Has anybody experienced this issue and have a solution.
I hate it when systems aren't working as advertised

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
Steve.....Did you do a coolant change at some point to OAT coolant? If you did, some of the sensors won't read the OAT coolant. There was a fix for this, hopefully someone will jump in who had the same issue.

2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don
Steve.....Did you do a coolant change at some point to OAT coolant? If you did, some of the sensors won't read the OAT coolant. There was a fix for this, hopefully someone will jump in who had the same issue.
Interesting.
I had a leak that was repaired about 1000 miles before the light came on
I'm thinking you may be in to something
Hopefully someone will have some input
Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That sensor is like the black/gray/fresh water sensors, It is no more complex than a screw or nail.

Most likely the wire has a break somewhere (Or the connection to the nail is bad). Least likely an electronic fault. That one can be expensive.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Monaco Owners Club
Steve....Read through this post and how to test the sensor. It discusses how only one wire is used and can be confused by an improper mix of coolant. They're also using a scotch brite pad to clean the sensor and solve the problem.

Low coolant sensor/Roadmaster chassis parts
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I've been chasing an intermittent cooling light, too. It comes on for an few minutes right after start. I changed to OAT last fall. 7 months and almost 5k miles before it started. Keying on the grounding issue, I chased all the grounds between the batteries and engine/ frame. It still comes on occasionally. I will pull the sensor and buff that next. I am also wondering if grounds at the dash/sensor module end have an effect.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have cleaned my sensor every three months ever since I had my 99 Windsor. I have always used extended life EG coolant with DCA4 added. This summer I measured the resistance of the sensor and measured the voltage at the sensor where the alarm triggers. I put a 220Kohm resistor from the sensor to ground and now I only get a low coolant alarm when the sensor probe is totally out of the coolant. I have not tested this fix long term but so far so good. This modification essentially reduces the sensitivity of the circuit. If you try this make sure you suck most of the coolant out of the tank in order to test that it still generates an alarm when it should.
DtBt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
2001 Dynasty. The coolant light is on although the coolant is not low
The expansion tank has a single wire attached to some sensor in the tank.
Short of removing the bulb and associated siren I am unable to solve this problem. (temporary solution)
A dealer connected the diagnostic computer and advised me that the engine was not experiencing any faults and did not need to have any faults cleared.
This has been an ongoing unresolved problem.
Has anybody experienced this issue and have a solution.
I hate it when systems aren't working as advertised
The issue is probably the sensor in the tank. Over time a coating develops on the sensor. I have solved this very problem by removing the sensor and cleaning it using a Scotchbrite pad. Sometimes it lasts quite a while, other times not so long.
Papa_Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I now have a picture of how this works
The sensor is an abode. It produces a current when immersed in fluid. Consequently removing the lead and grounding it had no effect
I will clean the sensor and it will be fixed
It is that easy. I can't believe I've been trying to find a solution for 12 months
Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #10

Hi all. Question, I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat with a plastic coolant tank. Haven't figured out how to remove the low coolant sensor. It seems to be pressed in or cast as a part of the tank. Any words of wisdom? As always thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecastro
Hi all. Question, I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat with a plastic coolant tank. Haven't figured out how to remove the low coolant sensor. It seems to be pressed in or cast as a part of the tank. Any words of wisdom? As always thanks.
Based on the other fittings in and out of the tank I believe the nut on the outside can be undone. This will allow the sensor to fall into the tank
I doubt that the sensor can be removed and replaced without unbolting the tank and maybe removing the attached hoses
Just my guess. I will be attempting the same procedure shortly ( or I could pay done one to do it might be easier)
Old 06-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #12

I too had been experiencing "Low Coolant" alarm without low coolant :( Mine is a single wire to an aluminum probe into the plastic coolant tank 1999 Monaco Windsor 330 ISC Cummins. I removed the probe and it seemed to have a resdue on it. I used scotch brite just like the other guys are saying to clean it, I re-installed and so far so good no alarms. Only took me about 15 minutes to do. To remove the sensor I left the cap sealed on the plastic coolant tank and unbolted the tank from the brackets, I lowered the tank down as there was not much clearance above the sensor. I removed the wire from the sensor, loosened the sensor (big aluminum nut). My sensor is one piece aluminum that screws into the top of plastic coolant reservoir no way anything can fall into the tank it just comes out the top. Removed the sensor by hand and temporary re-attached the tank to prevent spill while cleaning the sensor. Scotch brite cleaned the sensor, dropped the tank down again and re-installed with teflon tape to seal the threads, tighten but not over tighten to avoid stripping the plastic threads on the tank. Cleaned the terminal on the wire and re-installed it. Re-installed the tank and checked coolant level. Fired up the big "C" and tadaaa! No Alarm.... Sweeet! I have been listening to that sucker for almost a year, it's very annoying and it made me say some very bad words many times. All's quiet now :0) Pretty easy fix really.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyJerry View Post
I too had been experiencing "Low Coolant" alarm without low coolant :( Mine is a single wire to an aluminum probe into the plastic coolant tank 1999 Monaco Windsor 330 ISC Cummins. I removed the probe and it seemed to have a resdue on it. I used scotch brite just like the other guys are saying to clean it, I re-installed and so far so good no alarms. Only took me about 15 minutes to do. To remove the sensor I left the cap sealed on the plastic coolant tank and unbolted the tank from the brackets, I lowered the tank down as there was not much clearance above the sensor. I removed the wire from the sensor, loosened the sensor (big aluminum nut). My sensor is one piece aluminum that screws into the top of plastic coolant reservoir no way anything can fall into the tank it just comes out the top. Removed the sensor by hand and temporary re-attached the tank to prevent spill while cleaning the sensor. Scotch brite cleaned the sensor, dropped the tank down again and re-installed with teflon tape to seal the threads, tighten but not over tighten to avoid stripping the plastic threads on the tank. Cleaned the terminal on the wire and re-installed it. Re-installed the tank and checked coolant level. Fired up the big "C" and tadaaa! No Alarm.... Sweeet! I have been listening to that sucker for almost a year, it's very annoying and it made me say some very bad words many times. All's quiet now :0) Pretty easy fix really.
X2

Just finished the very same chore, with identical results.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
SteveSkinner,
I have a 2001 Monaco Dynasty with an ISC350 Cummins and had a problem with the 'Low Coolant Level' Light and alarm activating after the coach was running, and as soon as I turned on the parking lights or headlights, the alarm and 'low coolant level' light light would come one.

The obvious was to check the coolant level, and much like previous posts, the coolant level in the recovery tank was full. I did a lot of diagnostic work trying to figure this one out. That included pulling the headlight switch assembly checking all the power and ground wires looking for possible bad grounds. Also removed the wire on the low coolant sensor probe to check for bad connections. Also cleaned the sensor probe, all of which did not correct the problem.

During an attemp to do some exploritory troubleshooting, I removed the small access panel on top of the dash, on the drivers side, just ahead of the steering wheel and started tracing wires to and from the 'engine cooling light' alarm. I found a solid state module that I suspecioned might possibly be bad. This is a coolant level alarm module that is made to work with the sensor probe in the coolant recovery tank. This module is made by Kysor under model 1039-07058-01 and available from FindItParts on ebay for $46.
Upon installation, my problem was cured.

For your reference, I have attached a photo of this specific module and a wiring diagram for the colant level alarm module and the sensor probe set-up.

Hope this helps in possibly correcting some of the false alarms that are generated by the engine coolant level system.

Happy RV'g

Jack
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kysor Coolant Level Alarm 1039-07058-01 Monaco.pdf (11.0 KB, 61 views)