Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

Macerating toilets

I’ve observed a number of coaches with the smaller dump hoses. We have macerating toilets on our coach but don’t understand the advantage of using the smaller diameter dump hose verses the typical ones. What are the pros and cons?
2008DYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #2

For me, the biggest pros are never smelling the black or gray tanks and never having to handle a stinky slinky! The biggest con was when my hose sprung a leak. A sewage leak under pressure is an instant problem. It was easily fixed with some silicone tape and I added a protective sleeve to stop the abrasion of the hose on gravel or concrete. 2-1/2 years of trouble free service since then.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:38 AM   #3

I am very surprised your 08 Dynasty doesn't have Sani-Con. We vastly prefer the Sani-Con over the slinky. As the previous poster said it is a contained system, no wet dirty slinky to deal with, ability to pump uphill. It takes a bit more time to dump, but at least for me, so what?
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:58 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an add on portable macerator and 50 ft of 3/4 inch garden hose. I selectively use it when I (mostly she) wants to position the motorhome for a better view out the dining room window and/or the rear window.

Seems like most times we are set up for 3 months at a time with full hookups, just more than is convenient for 20 ft of standard sewer hose.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #5

I have a macerator pump and wireless remote set up on my MH.

This month I'm in the campsite backwards, to face our friends, and are about 20 feet from the sewer hookup. I'm using a 1", 25' long, roll flat, PVC hose.

I leave the gray tank valve open and just hit the remote when at 3/4 tank. Every few days.
When the black tank needs to be dumped, I go out and close and open the proper valves to do it.

I've been thinking of adding electric dump valves.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
For me, the biggest pros are never smelling the black or gray tanks and never having to handle a stinky slinky! The biggest con was when my hose sprung a leak. A sewage leak under pressure is an instant problem. It was easily fixed with some silicone tape and I added a protective sleeve to stop the abrasion of the hose on gravel or concrete. 2-1/2 years of trouble free service since then.

Thanks for the reply. So the smaller hose stays attached all the time? Hose not as durable as the bigger “Rhino” type?
Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill767 View Post
I am very surprised your 08 Dynasty doesn't have Sani-Con. We vastly prefer the Sani-Con over the slinky. As the previous poster said it is a contained system, no wet dirty slinky to deal with, ability to pump uphill. It takes a bit more time to dump, but at least for me, so what?

Our Monaco does have the Sani-con system. Ordered as an option. Our coach came with macerating toilets as well. Based upon other comments it’s possible one of the two previous owners disconnected it. Do these systems come with powered pump? Is it bulky? Haven’t heard why an owner would remove a Sani-con system. Thanks for responding.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Just my 2 cents:

I only use the macerator hose when traveling or in a campsite for less than 2 days.

However, when I set up for more than a couple days, I use the regular "stinky slinky".

Not sure how to articulate it, but seems to work better for me that way. Besides, the macerator is just another mechanical part that will eventually fail.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have a macerator pump and wireless remote set up on my MH.

This month I'm in the campsite backwards, to face our friends, and are about 20 feet from the sewer hookup. I'm using a 1", 25' long, roll flat, PVC hose.

I leave the gray tank valve open and just hit the remote when at 3/4 tank. Every few days.
When the black tank needs to be dumped, I go out and close and open the proper valves to do it.

I've been thinking of adding electric dump valves.

Thanks for responding to my question. So if I already have macerating toilets the advantage of the Sani-con system is ability to use smaller hose and having a pump rather then relying on gravity? Still don’t know why I don’t hear or see anything happening when I hit the rocker switch.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

To be clear, I think you are saying you have the macerator toilet AND a Sani-con system correct?

The Sani-con system absolutely makes noise and is typically hooked up from the outlet of your sewer connection where the slinky would normally hook up. Whether there is water in the system or not, you flip the switch and it will make noise, easily identified noise.

The advantage of the smaller hose hooked to the Sani-con system is mostly so you can pump longer distances and or up hill as others have stated. It is smaller, easier to store and very flexible. Does not need to have a gravity straight line shot to the dump connection.

On the other hand, I almost NEVER use mine. We travel a lot and I find the slinky to be super quick and easy and quiet. The Sani-con has it's place and all but maybe gets used once a year.

I do not care personally for the time it takes to dump and the noise it makes. You still have a sewer hose to roll up and put away regardless of which you use

Everyone is different and has different needs...
Windecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008DYN View Post
Thanks for responding to my question. So if I already have macerating toilets the advantage of the Sani-con system is ability to use smaller hose and having a pump rather then relying on gravity? Still don’t know why I don’t hear or see anything happening when I hit the rocker switch.
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't looked at the '09 wiring. My '07 has a 20 Amp CB/fuse in the rear run panel labeled RV San.

I also have two macerating toilets and a Sanicon macerator. The original macerator took so long to dump I didn't use it that much but was nice for running a long hose to a dump. There were many times we could stay in our site and run a hose a couple hundred feet to dump. This summer I replaced it with a Sanicon Turbo 600. It empties a tank in a hurry! I carry the slinky hose in case of a Sanicon failure. I did blow out two Sanicon Turbo 2" hoses shortly after installing it. It was connected to a 75' long 3/4" garden hose. I don't know if they had a bad batch or what. There were no kinks or restrictions I could see.

I elected to leave the Turbo 600 macerator loose, not screwed into the floor. I have had it plug a couple of times but shaking it cleared the plug. It only happened when switching from black to grey for some reason.

I plan to try the original Sanicon with back yard visitors this winter. It's about a 200'-250' run. That would save them moving the RV.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #12

We ave a macerating toilet and the sanicon. Monaco installed the toilet with a macerator as it does not sit above the tank. Cannot use a regular RV toilet. The sanicon is a pain as it dumps slowly but there is no mess. Some people with just a Sanicon have had problems with clogs and damaged pumps. But with the "goods) being macerated when they hit the sanicon we have had zero problems. You do get used to the slow dump.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Haven't looked at the '09 wiring. My '07 has a 20 Amp CB/fuse in the rear run panel labeled RV San.

I also have two macerating toilets and a Sanicon macerator. The original macerator took so long to dump I didn't use it that much but was nice for running a long hose to a dump. There were many times we could stay in our site and run a hose a couple hundred feet to dump. This summer I replaced it with a Sanicon Turbo 600. It empties a tank in a hurry! I carry the slinky hose in case of a Sanicon failure. I did blow out two Sanicon Turbo 2" hoses shortly after installing it. It was connected to a 75' long 3/4" garden hose. I don't know if they had a bad batch or what. There were no kinks or restrictions I could see.

I elected to leave the Turbo 600 macerator loose, not screwed into the floor. I have had it plug a couple of times but shaking it cleared the plug. It only happened when switching from black to grey for some reason.

I plan to try the original Sanicon with back yard visitors this winter. It's about a 200'-250' run. That would save them moving the RV.

Thanks for the reply. One of the two previous owners obviously removed the system prior to our purchase. Despite the original owner having paid over $630 for the system there had to be something he didn’t like. I don’t see any location we go to that the standard hose would not work. Based on all the reply’s I’m satisfied knowing what the system does and hearing the pros and cons. I just don’t see where the system hooked up to my panel in the wet bay. Our wet bay is set up very nicely with stainless steel panels and manufacture rocker switches, one of which is for a Sani-con system. At this point I have no intention of ever adding a Sani-con system. I am just curious.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post

Thanks for your reply. From all the responses I now understand the system and how it works. I have no intention of purchasing a new one. The standard three inch has worked fine. If I encounter a situation where it doesn’t work I probably will reconsider.

Tags
ace, toilet