Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Magnadyne DVD Problem - Possible Fix

I was on the phone with Magnadyne today asking questions about the new M1-LCD unit that has replaced the M9900DVDS. I asked them about the "known DVD skipping problem" in the M9900, and whether they had addressed that in the M1-LCD. Here's what he said...

First he described the problem exactly as others have on this forum. He said, "You mean where the DVD player sometimes skips or freezes, or will stop altogether?" I said, "Yeah that's the problem." He said they did address the problem in the new unit, but it wasn't the DVD - it was the harness connector. He went on to say that the connector on the back of the unit (see picture below) was prone to not making good contact on the power leads (red and yellow). It isn't a problem when playing the radio, but the DVD draws more current, and that's when the problem can occur.

I asked about a solution, and he said yes... you can take the connector off and carefully pry the clips in such a way as to make better contact. That should solve the problem. I don't have the problem in my unit, but maybe someone here who does have the problem can try this fix and see if it resolves it. (I'd do the ground lead as well.)

New Upgrade...
I went ahead and called ABS, the consumer outlet vendor for Magnadyne, and ordered an M1-LCD. It is a direct replacement for the M9900DVDS and has loads of new features that I would like to have. Price $549. They threw in an iPOD interface for $20 which will allow me to completely control an iPOD right from the screen on the head unit. You can also add a Sirius SC-C1 receiver, which you can pick up for around $40 almost anywhere. (They stopped using that expensive proprietary unit that goes with the M9900 series.)

To me this route seems easier than trying to find something else that fits into the 1.5 DIN hole in the dash or cutting a bigger hole for a 1.8 or double-DIN unit. Besides, I like the big, easy to see and easy to use, controls that Magnadyne features. They are out of stock until early July. (Apparently Winnebago is buying up all the new units.) I'll report on how it works when I install it.

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
I was on the phone with Magnadyne today asking questions about the new M1-LCD unit that has replaced the M9900DVDS. I asked them about the "known DVD skipping problem" in the M9900, and whether they had addressed that in the M1-LCD. Here's what he said...

First he described the problem exactly as others have on this forum. He said, "You mean where the DVD player sometimes skips or freezes, or will stop altogether?" I said, "Yeah that's the problem." He said they did address the problem in the new unit, but it wasn't the DVD - it was the harness connector. He went on to say that the connector on the back of the unit (see picture below) was prone to not making good contact on the power leads (red and yellow). It isn't a problem when playing the radio, but the DVD draws more current, and that's when the problem can occur.

I asked about a solution, and he said yes... you can take the connector off and carefully pry the clips in such a way as to make better contact. That should solve the problem. I don't have the problem in my unit, but maybe someone here who does have the problem can try this fix and see if it resolves it. (I'd do the ground lead as well.)

New Upgrade...
I went ahead and called ABS, the consumer outlet vendor for Magnadyne, and ordered an M1-LCD. It is a direct replacement for the M9900DVDS and has loads of new features that I would like to have. Price $549. They threw in an iPOD interface for $20 which will allow me to completely control an iPOD right from the screen on the head unit. You can also add a Sirius SC-C1 receiver, which you can pick up for around $40 almost anywhere. (They stopped using that expensive proprietary unit that goes with the M9900 series.)

To me this route seems easier than trying to find something else that fits into the 1.5 DIN hole in the dash or cutting a bigger hole for a 1.8 or double-DIN unit. Besides, I like the big, easy to see and easy to use, controls that Magnadyne features. They are out of stock until early July. (Apparently Winnebago is buying up all the new units.) I'll report on how it works when I install it.

Looks like a nice unit Rob. I did not have the DVC Magnadyne so I did not see the problems discussed in the various forums. Interesting that they admitted to a connector problem with the model it replaces. Smart thing to do and a pretty easy fix. On my non-DVD Magnadyne, when I replaced the speakers with quality MB Quarts the sound is much better. Whose maps do they use for the GPS and do they have an update program?

On the subject of connectors but not trying to hijack the thread, connectors was the main problem with the Weldex rearview camera system. I bypassed the rear camera connectors and have not had a failure in about a year. Tells you how important quality connectors are.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack98 View Post
Looks like a nice unit Rob. I did not have the DVC Magnadyne so I did not see the problems discussed in the various forums. Interesting that they admitted to a connector problem with the model it replaces. Smart thing to do and a pretty easy fix. On my non-DVD Magnadyne, when I replaced the speakers with quality MB Quarts the sound is much better. Whose maps do they use for the GPS and do they have an update program?
Mark,

I don't have the problem either, so I cannot test the "fix" I hope someone who does have the problem will try it out and chime in here.

I also want to replace my ceiling speakers. Hardest part of that is knowing which speakers sound best before you buy them. What made you decide on MB Quart speakers and what model did you get? I'd like to find some with white grids.

I didn't check into the GPS module as I'm not going to buy that. I like my Garmin 7200. It has an audio book player that we enjoy. I'll connect that to the Magnadyne.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You are right about knowing which speakers sound best. The key feature needed is a pivoting tweeter to throw the highs out toward the coach. I installed MB Quart PVI 213's. They are 5.25" and way overkill (in terms of quality) for a coach but I decided not to use them in the boat. They really need more power than what a typical radio can put out but my goal was to get rid of the "chestiness" that the stock speakers have. They also need a sub, 5.25 just can't go very low. The stock speakers are also 5.25. 6 1/2' would be much better but it would require enlarging the cut outs. Really, any decent 5.25 with a pivoting tweeter would be a good choice. The stock speakers are really cheap and replacing them with better quality speakers made all the difference in the world.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #5

just curius .but why would you watch a dvd through the M9900 when you can watch it through the rca system thats above the drivers seat?
Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto19 View Post
just curius .but why would you watch a dvd through the M9900 when you can watch it through the rca system thats above the drivers seat?
Looks like they changed the system again for 2008. The 2007 models do not have a separate DVD player. The stock set-up is to play DVD's from the Magnadyne unit on the dash.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

I have 4 left out in the garage that I haven't shot yet. Maybe I'll try "the Fix" on one of them.

Carl
Old 06-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mark,
I didn't check into the GPS module as I'm not going to buy that. I like my Garmin 7200. It has an audio book player that we enjoy. I'll connect that to the Magnadyne.
Robin,

We have the 7200 and are very pleased with it. Here is something you may consider that we do. We purchased the XM receiver for the Garmin which allows the 7200 to be the interface for the XM. We have the audio output connected to the Magnadyne and listen to XM as we travel. What is nice about this is that the Garmin will break into the XM audio to announce directions to the programed destination. My hearing is not so good so it helps to have nice strong audio from the Garmin that is not drowned out by the radio. It is also neat to hear the Garmin directions from anywhere in the coach.

Another nice feature with the XM is you can check the weather forecast on the Garmin and get traffic updates.

Bob
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab (will setup for toad soon)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Robin,

We have the 7200 and are very pleased with it. Here is something you may consider that we do. We purchased the XM receiver for the Garmin which allows the 7200 to be the interface for the XM. We have the audio output connected to the Magnadyne and listen to XM as we travel. What is nice about this is that the Garmin will break into the XM audio to announce directions to the programed destination. My hearing is not so good so it helps to have nice strong audio from the Garmin that is not drowned out by the radio. It is also neat to hear the Garmin directions from anywhere in the coach.

Another nice feature with the XM is you can check the weather forecast on the Garmin and get traffic updates.

Bob
Bob/Robin,
I really like the features of the 7200 Garmin and am considering it as my next GPS. I can't find anywhere if lane guidance is available as an option. Does anyone know if it available or will be available? My current GPS has enhanced lane guidance and any replacement must have this feature. Driving through a city of moderate or greater size can be a challange for a MH and lane guidance is a huge help. Most GPS's will provide some voice prompts to guide you thru a city but a visual display and voice prompts are fantastic. Makes it much less stressful navigating thru a big city. One trip thru Cincinnati will make you a believer.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

I have the XM module for the 7200. Actually I got it with an earlier Garmin unit when it was part of the package. I did use it for a while with the 7200 in the Dip, but I could never find an antenna location that was free from antenna shadowing. I was about to strip the garnish from the front of the motorhome and bury the receiver/antenna up in the front cap above the TV. But then I remembered that I also had a Sirius unit that came with the Dip that I'd never activated. So I activated that instead, and got 6 months free. I've just stayed with it. Thing is, I won't be able to use the Srius receiver with the new Magnadyne I've ordered. It takes the universal Sirius SC-C1 receiver. So I may buy that, or I may go back to the Garmin XM. The SC-C1 only costs $40 on Amazon.com, so I'll probably go with that because the interface with the new head unit will be really nice.

You'll be interested to know, Bob, that if you use the Audible Book feature of the Garmin, when the GPS speaks, the book stops and then backs up a wee bit so you don't loose your train of thought on the book. Nice feature that we really enjoy.

Mark, (saving a slot)

The 7200 is almost the "perfect" GPS for a motorhome because of the huge screen and the fact that you can position it along your line of sight, instead of down on the dash. But the software does NOT have that new lane guidance feature that Garmin has come out with. I doubt that they will update the 7200 for it as Garmin is now on to newer models. At some point in time, I expect they will replace the 7200 with a newer large-screen model that contains that feature. They seem to introduce several new models almost every year.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #11

ipod question

you guys really know your stuff!!

if i was going to play a ipod from the could i use this?Magnadyne AUX-RV-USB

i was thinking i could pull the M9900DVDS out and plug it into the back of the radio and play the ipod through the usb .would this work?i know when my wife plugs the ipod to the laptop it connects to a usb port to play and charge at the same time.i could mount the usb somewhere in the dash

thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto19 View Post
if i was going to play a ipod from the could i use this?Magnadyne AUX-RV-USB

i was thinking i could pull the M9900DVDS out and plug it into the back of the radio and play the ipod through the usb .would this work?
gto19,

No that wouldn't work. There is no USB input on the M9900 series Magnadyne units. You could, however, use this one, and play it through the headphone jack. I have one of these installed in my coach. The M9900 has two auxiliary RCA inputs.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
gto19,

No that wouldn't work. There is no USB input on the M9900 series Magnadyne units. You could, however, use this one, and play it through the headphone jack. I have one of these installed in my coach. The M9900 has two auxiliary RCA inputs.
now i see http://www.magnadyne.com/MagPublic/P...s/AUX_RV_M.pdf .the only thing that sucks using that is it only will play the ipod but not charge it.the usb style plays and charges it
Old 06-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Bob,

I have the XM module for the 7200. Actually I got it with an earlier Garmin unit when it was part of the package. I did use it for a while with the 7200 in the Dip, but I could never find an antenna location that was free from antenna shadowing. I was about to strip the garnish from the front of the motorhome and bury the receiver/antenna up in the front cap above the TV. But then I remembered that I also had a Sirius unit that came with the Dip that I'd never activated. So I activated that instead, and got 6 months free. I've just stayed with it. Thing is, I won't be able to use the Srius receiver with the new Magnadyne I've ordered. It takes the universal Sirius SC-C1 receiver. So I may buy that, or I may go back to the Garmin XM. The SC-C1 only costs $40 on Amazon.com, so I'll probably go with that because the interface with the new head unit will be really nice.

You'll be interested to know, Bob, that if you use the Audible Book feature of the Garmin, when the GPS speaks, the book stops and then backs up a wee bit so you don't loose your train of thought on the book. Nice feature that we really enjoy.

Mark, (saving a slot)

The 7200 is almost the "perfect" GPS for a motorhome because of the huge screen and the fact that you can position it along your line of sight, instead of down on the dash. But the software does NOT have that new lane guidance feature that Garmin has come out with. I doubt that they will update the 7200 for it as Garmin is now on to newer models. At some point in time, I expect they will replace the 7200 with a newer large-screen model that contains that feature. They seem to introduce several new models almost every year.
Rob,

If you do decided to mount the Garmin GXM30 up in the front cap this will be handy: Garmin GXM30 Extension Cable P/N 010-10617-02.

Bob

2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab (will setup for toad soon)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote