RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

Question Magnum MS2812 AGS / Monitor

Does anyone here have both the AGS AND Battery monitor set up on their MS2812? There is only one accessory port. I have an AGS, but I was thinking of adding the battery monitor.

theBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 04:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You can daisy chain data lines. I believe there is also an extra data input or 2 on the inverter. It's been awhile since I hooked it up so I don't remember the specifics but all the data lines are the same so it doesn't matter where you hook it up. In other words if there are two data plugs on the AGS you can plug in there. Sorry I can't be more specific but like I say it's been awhile.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just added an ME-BMK (battery monitor kit) and already had the AGS-N.
The BMK kit comes with a 1 into 2 RJ-11 port adapter. I just plugged the adapter into the Inverter port and then plugged both the BMK and AGS into it.
Also, like Jerry says you can daisy chain them. Download the instructions and it covers both methods.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #4

Magnum Battery Monitor

Where did you install the shunt, and how did you get the wires to the appropriate bay areas?

I have multiple 12 volt compartments. How do you get all of the load to go through the shunt?

I'm not an electrical idiot, but I'm definitely still learning these complex systems.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:24 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBeav View Post
Where did you install the shunt, and how did you get the wires to the appropriate bay areas?

I have multiple 12 volt compartments. How do you get all of the load to go through the shunt?

I'm not an electrical idiot, but I'm definitely still learning these complex systems.
We installed the shunt in the negative house battery cable that connects the house battery bank to ground. See photo.

We used a straight PVC drain pipe section to move cables and wires from one compartment to the next. Our compartments are next to each other. If you look at the photo of the shunt and the photo of the BMK you can see where the PVC goes thru the wall. Had to cut the PVC off as it was longer than necessary. The hard part is making the hole.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMK electronics.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	232077   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMK shunt.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	232078  

Name:	Phone splitter.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	232079  
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have wondered how to handle that also
Old 01-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Magnum MS2812 AGS / Monitor

George , the shunt , at least mine is in the battery bay. The one and only negative cable FROM the battery goes to it! then the other side goes to ALL the other negative feeds like Frame , inverter etc. no other negative cable goes to the battery other than the one from the shunt. That for me placed it close by in the battery bay on a wall . A short ( big gauge) wire , battery to shunt , then ALL the other wires that were connected the the negative terminal on the battery connect to the other side of the shunt. Keeping it close makes it easy to connect the existing wires The small sense wires then run from the shunt to wherever you put the monitor / controller etc
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I just added an ME-BMK (battery monitor kit) and already had the AGS-N.
The BMK kit comes with a 1 into 2 RJ-11 port adapter. I just plugged the adapter into the Inverter port and then plugged both the BMK and AGS into it.
Also, like Jerry says you can daisy chain them. Download the instructions and it covers both methods.
George Vito is spot on with his description. That's how I did mine anyway. I will be in Quartzite next week, if you are still there I can show you my set up.

Steve
Golfer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
George, your house battery ground is in the large basement compartment near the inverter. It should have a grounding lug welded to the main frame rail. This makes it easy to install a BMK in a Monaco coach as it should not be located in a battery compartment.

You will need to purchase a short (10") 4/0 ground wire to install the shunt. The short ground will go from the ground post on the frame in the basement to the shunt. Then your current ground wire will attach to the other side of the shunt.
The shunt then has two small gauge wires that connect it to the BMK. The BMK then has an RJ11 phone cord that goes to your inverter less than 1' away.

This way all the battery current is routed through the shunt.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #10

Shunt location

Thanks Vito. Here's a pic of what I THINK you are talking about. Am I right?

It's not a very big wire though. maybe a 6 or 8 at most. Maybe 10.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shunt location.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	232134  
Old 01-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #11

Nevermind. I see what you are talking about. The manual says to put the shunt between the negative output from the MS2812 that goes to the battery. I don't see an easy way to do that. It's going to be a challenge. Sure would have been nice, if they had just added the option when they built the rig. :-)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I'm glad this came up as I have considered it but hadn't gotten there yet. I did not realize how easy the install was either. Once again Vito has the solution!

I have 760 watts of solar and read this review: "if you are using solar, and start to get a small amount of charge in the morning, the low amps will cause it to think it is at the end of a charge cycle. SOC is reset to 100% even if though it may be 70-80% from overnight use. Can't be used to accurately show SOC in this scenario."

Is this correct? How will that affect me?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Nevermind. I see what you are talking about. The manual says to put the shunt between the negative output from the MS2812 that goes to the battery. I don't see an easy way to do that. It's going to be a challenge. Sure would have been nice, if they had just added the option when they built the rig. :-)
George, the Monaco setup really does make it easy. The small gound wire in your picture is for the inverter. The main ground is a large black 4/0 cable run to the main frame rail near the inverter. It's just to the side and towards the center from the picture you posted.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #14

Negative cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
George, the Monaco setup really does make it easy. The small gound wire in your picture is for the inverter. The main ground is a large black 4/0 cable run to the main frame rail near the inverter. It's just to the side and towards the center from the picture you posted.
Yeah. I can see it. But, I cant see where it connects at the other end. It goes up about two inches, and disappears above the inverter. I expect that the easiest thing to do is to mount the shunt just in front of the inverter, and run a short piece of 4 gauge wire back to the inverter negative.

Tags
monitor