Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Just curious!

I am just curious to hear what was the problem?

I have been living with an intermitent starting issue for the last 7 years. Changed 2 starters, few celenoid and the problem is still haunting me from time to time. After say 50 succesfull start on the first attemt it will fail and require turning the ignition twice or three times before it fires, then I am good for another long sequence of start-on-first-trial until the next failure. Go figure???

Thanks
BT-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #16

BT- yours may be an alignment problem. Every so occasionally, a starter will bind in a certain spot. Since you've been thru more than 1 starter & still have the problem, it may be in the starter ring on the engine that the starter pinion engages. To find if this is it you have to remove the starter & "bar over" (Cummins term) the engine manually to roll the "flex plate" that contains the large starter tooth ring. You are looking for an irregularity that would cause a starter pinion bind, maybe a bad rust spot that could be polished out or a damaged or irregular spot that could be polished off w/a die grinder.
This assumes the starter pops to engage then quits w/out turning the engine. Once it spins past the bad spot, things go normally till the offending spot comes up again next to the starter's Bendix unit that engages the pinion to the starter ring. Sort of like rolling 'big money' on Wheel of Fortune.

If your starter doesn't do anything at all, forget the above, its electrical like an intermittent solenoid which could be as simple as an electrical connection, or something else not mechanical.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #17

My HR start circuit is interlocked with the sildeout. The engine will not start with the slides out unless the interlocks are over ridden. The slide interlock is a actual pushputton switch that the the slide comes into contact with when the slide is closed. The pushbutton switches for all siles on your HR MH must be engaged/closed. If one of them is bad then no start signal. If you don't find something else wrong try opening your slide and take a ohm meter to check for contunity across the pushbutton switchs if you have them.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
YC1

If you are energetic you could run a wire from the starter solenoid via an inline fuse and connect any automotive or rv light bulb to it and ground somewhere convenient . Put this near you so you can see the light turn on when you turn the key. If it does not turn over and there is no light bulb on then you need to move the wire to the smaller control terminal on the starter solenoidl. Just to clarify the mud a bit. You are basically installing a 12 volt test light and can check various places. You could virtually work your way back to the ignition switch.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Hello JSWIGART, I too had this problem. The coach was at a Cummins shop for an oil change when they tried to start it and nothing. Cummins called in Alison to look at the trouble and they found no problems. When Cummins got in touch with Monaco the recommendation was to test a fuse-able link in the motor compartment. This indeed was the trouble and it's repaired. Looking back I had once in a while trouble starting the coach, I would turn the key and nothing, this link must have been intermittent for some time and coincidently failed while in the shop.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #20

Want to close this string out by thanking everyone for their inputs. Had to change the starter. Runs like a champ now. Jim
jswigart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #21
YC1

I appreciate your letting us know. That really helps in future adventures.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Good for you and thanks for the update.

I honestly hope the problem is fixed.

I would not want to rain on your parade but in my case I changed 2 starters and the intermitent problem persist.

Nest Thuesday I am scheduled for a replacement of the ignition switch. W'ill see.

Good luck with your fix!
BT-III is offline   Reply With Quote