Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP1 View Post
THERE'S ALREADY AN OFFER on this motorhome... they had an inspection and are waiting for financing to come through on

No $ was put down, so I can hold it for you if you come Tuesday. (Not Monday.) Huh?! I had already told him that we had cleared Monday but the rest of the week was full. Oh - and I would probably want to have my financing ready.
MP
Typical scam.

How come the "other guy" did not have to put down a non-refundable deposit?!

Hurry up and put up "your deposit" to hold this ... ! Yeah right. Scammer is trying to put pressure on you now.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #44

Entegra Owners Club
One of the items that was noted sort of slipped by me. All of the appliances, cushions and mattresses are also old. TV's are one of the most frequently updated items and technology has changed dramatically. Given the situation = repo - I would really worry about those things. Any one might not be terribly expensive but they sure would add up.

If the previous owner was a smoker in the coach, the dealer can cover up the smell, but it will come back.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #45

My sister used to sell stocks in a boiler room. She described the technique as "first you push the greed button, then you push the panic button".

This sounds like classic "push the panic button". If this dealer was an honest dealer he'd give his current customer a chance to get the deal done, at least give them a day or two.

Save your self the trip and follow the advice to find a good private sale.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamebuster View Post
I am curious since I don't see many safari models but one picture shows tile floors and the other pics show carpet floors.. Is the front half carpet and the rear tile or are these photos from 2 different rigs..
That was common for some models to have the wet area tile and the living and sleeping area carpet. My winnebago is like that and the 1994 CC I looked at had marble floors and sculpted black maroon and teal carpet like the safari in the front and black carpet in the bedroom.

Someone mentioned "old" finishings and furniture in the safari. Well...that old furniture is usually real leather not the crappy pleather that is used in coaches now days. The pleather might have a fancy name but it cracks and peels in a short while and your bare legs stick to it. The carpet in the safari is high quality and wears well. Looks new even with 100K+ on it.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:25 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Still hoping to hear from MP1 about his trip to see the 'deal' . I'm very interested in hearing how that went.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:01 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, inquiring minds.....
DjDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
It’s been quite a few years but I remember trying to buy my first new car. We went thru some of the same dealer-games ( I really wanted that car). Finally wised up when I saw in the mirror glass another sales guy and mine ‘signing’ to each other about stringing me out, upping the price bit by bit, nodding or shaking his head when I’d make an offer, etc.
They sell everyday and know the tricks, we likely don’t.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #50
MP1

We did NOT get the Safari... didn't even drive over (800 mile r/t) to look at it!

I want to thank everyone again for their advice! If you look back in the comments, you will see the run around I started to get from the dealer which really began to raise some red flags. The day that we had cleared to make the run over to look but wasn't good for the dealer, we went out and looked at one owner coaches where the owner was needing to retire for whatever reason and that were in our own region of the country. (As you guys advised) We couldn't walk away from one of them because of the meticulous care that the owner had taken of it. The price was right and everything on the list checked out upon inspection. It is pristine with 54,900 miles on a Cat 330.

Here's the news that I think you won't like: It's an Alfa SeeYa. I've researched the forums and see that most people really, really don't like them. We always have loved the high ceilings and the huge pushouts that they offer. We took all the bad reports and made sure to look and test for all of them - plus the "normal" things that are listed on the inspector pages checklist. We found a few "pox", but nothing that (we felt) was worth killing the deal for. We believe that for the price we got it for and the care that was taken, this is the perfect 1st DP for us. AND... it drives like a dream. It's 38' and fits in a 2 space parking place perfectly. (At least the abandoned K-Marche parking lot I practiced driving it in.) It turns on a dime!

We will enjoy this coach for a year or two and then re-assess. If it turns out that we don't like it for whatever reason, we haven't lost much but we've gained the ability to try snowbirding this winter and a new adventure! I understand that the Alfa is called "The Red-Headed Stepchild"... lol... well, we've always been a little odd ourselves so it probably fits us perfectly!

We will be around somewhere in the sun this winter! I would love to meet people from this group! You have been AWESOME! <3
THANKS Again! MP (Melanie Patrice)
2002 38' Alfa See-Ya
MP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The price was right and everything on the list checked out upon inspection. It is pristine with 54,900 miles on a Cat 330.

Here's the news that I think you won't like: It's an Alfa SeeYa. I've researched the forums and see that most people really, really don't like them.
I don't know anything about this brand - the important thing is that You like it.
I guess we won't be seeing much of you on the Monaco Owner's forum... Good luck.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Leisure Coachworks in Fontana, CA is a good resource for your Alfa needs. They were originally Alfateers but needed to expand there business to other brands as there are no new Alfa's on the road. I had experience with them a few years ago and Jim, the owner, was just great to work with.

https://leisurecw.com/

My understanding is the Alfa was a pretty good coach, as with all coaches, even the top tier coaches, if not maintained they are not so good anyway. Enjoy the road and we'll "See Ya"

Keep asking question on IRV2 you will get answers to all questions regardless of what coach you have.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The Alfa coaches are very nice, and a good friend (frank548) has a Alfa Gold, and i have seen it, and it is a very beautiful coach!
I think you chose wisely, and i know you will be very happy! Good luck, and enjoy! Rail!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
First of all, a BIG congrats on finding 'your' coach.

Maybe not exact Monaco = Alfa questions or similarities but definitely close enough that you're going to get help either way you go. We're all in this together!

Glad you took that breath, paused, and looked around before pulling the trigger. Brother-in-law absolutely HAD to have the first coach he saw that was bigger/better than mine. Sad to say, he now has a lot bigger repair bills to go along with it, too.

Enjoy. Come back and see us sometime.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #55

I wanted an Alfa SeeYa So Long with the bathroom on the left and hallway to bedroom on right. I could only find one with the shotgun spray fiberglass delam issue and it wasn't priced accordingly. They are my all time favorite diesel coaches.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #56

Quote:
Hello! I'm new here... but I'm going to just jump right in. We are taking a 7 hour (14 round trip) drive tomorrow to look at a motorhome and probably put a $1,000 non-refundable down payment on it. Please tell me what to be careful of... I just don't know what I don't know!!! I'm excited but don't want to be emotional and stupid about it either... so I am asking advice on what to look for. I will be getting it for around $35k with all tax/lic/etc - which seems like an incredible deal.
Here's the specs:
------
2000 Safari Continental Panther M-4066 425 CAT. 121,000 miles. All the pictures look real good. CarFax says it was in an accident with right side impact - no airbag deployment. Looks to have been fixed professionally from pics.

This was a voluntary foreclosure and this is what the salesman told me was about it other than the ad: Step needs motor $150. Ebrake needs pads. C12 upgraded motor. Diesel mechanic replaced alternator and batteries. They have drivin it 100 miles with no problems. Interior: 1 chair has a little wear. 2 airbags for each tire. Everything has been checked and appears to be working.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! MP
ps: I hope I'm in the right place. This motorhome IS a Monaco, correct? Thx!
I don't think it's made any more. The Continental was bought by Monaco but it's not a Monaco. And it's 18 years old and that means the $2,000 refrigerator is also that old. That would be about the correct mileage for that year. You need records on when it was greased last, when the air brake dryer was changed, also when the transmission was last changed and oil. Most will be on a 2 year schedule with engine oil one year or 11,000 miles. Has the radiator fluid been changed to 5 year and when was that? The P/S and Jack reservoir should also have been changed. Fuel filter should have been changed and when. Also the rear end using Synthetic. Lots of maintenance on a Diesel and you would hope it was done on schedule. Probably a rear radiator which should be cleaned from the back side. At that mileage, the front end should have been aligned at least once since factory. Check for roof leaks....especially around vents and bathroom shower dome. Air conditioners should work and should be available both from shore power and generator. Best look at the maintenance schedule of the generator and whether it can handle both air's on at a time. Check gas cooking facilities and whether the hot water heater is working on both gas and electric. Look down both sides to determine if there is any de-lamination happening and if so for get the purchase.
SAVE7MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice