RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
MP1

May be leaving non-refundable deposit tomorrow! Help with Advice?

Hello! I'm new here... but I'm going to just jump right in. We are taking a 7 hour (14 round trip) drive tomorrow to look at a motorhome and probably put a $1,000 non-refundable down payment on it. Please tell me what to be careful of... I just don't know what I don't know!!! I'm excited but don't want to be emotional and stupid about it either... so I am asking advice on what to look for. I will be getting it for around $35k with all tax/lic/etc - which seems like an incredible deal.
Here's the specs:
------
2000 Safari Continental Panther M-4066 425 CAT. 121,000 miles. All the pictures look real good. CarFax says it was in an accident with right side impact - no airbag deployment. Looks to have been fixed professionally from pics.

This was a voluntary foreclosure and this is what the salesman told me was about it other than the ad: Step needs motor $150. Ebrake needs pads. C12 upgraded motor. Diesel mechanic replaced alternator and batteries. They have drivin it 100 miles with no problems. Interior: 1 chair has a little wear. 2 airbags for each tire. Everything has been checked and appears to be working.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! MP
ps: I hope I'm in the right place. This motorhome IS a Monaco, correct? Thx!

MP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to buy it, make purchase subject to inspection. Get an inspector here https://nrvia.org/

The inspector will not likely drive it, but give it a complete inspection so you know what you are dealing with. You may want to get fluids analyzed. Make sure seller is comfortable with inspection.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your driving that far maybe the seller would let you take it to an RV park for the night to evaluate it. Driving it would be essential part of checking it out. Having it overnight at a park would give you a chance to use most of the systems and see that they work.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:21 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I can't offer you a good opinion on the value of this coach. To me, a red flag is a $1,000 non-refundable deposit on a coach with a possibly too-good-to-be-true price.

You need to be very confident in your ability to assess the condition of this rig yourself, or bring someone with you who really does know. Do you know how to spot general RV issues like water damage? Are you prepared to insist that the seller allow you to fully test all systems before placing your nonrefundable deposit? Are they offering any sort of guarantee on systems that you can't fully test?

Also, take a minute and Google the dealer name - see what pops up.

Not trying to burst your enthusiasm bubble here. It's a chunk of your money - take your time.

Best of luck!
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

There probably aren't any great deals from dealers. Slow down and buy a 1 owner, stored inside, coach from some old guy who has to quit for health reasons.
Pete Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP1 View Post
Hello! I'm new here... but I'm going to just jump right in. We are taking a 7 hour (14 round trip) drive tomorrow to look at a motorhome and probably put a $1,000 non-refundable down payment on it. Please tell me what to be careful of... I just don't know what I don't know!!! I'm excited but don't want to be emotional and stupid about it either... so I am asking advice on what to look for. I will be getting it for around $35k with all tax/lic/etc - which seems like an incredible deal.
Here's the specs:
------
2000 Safari Continental Panther M-4066 425 CAT. 121,000 miles. All the pictures look real good. CarFax says it was in an accident with right side impact - no airbag deployment. Looks to have been fixed professionally from pics.

This was a voluntary foreclosure and this is what the salesman told me was about it other than the ad: Step needs motor $150. Ebrake needs pads. C12 upgraded motor. Diesel mechanic replaced alternator and batteries. They have drivin it 100 miles with no problems. Interior: 1 chair has a little wear. 2 airbags for each tire. Everything has been checked and appears to be working.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! MP
ps: I hope I'm in the right place. This motorhome IS a Monaco, correct? Thx!
MP1,

Since this will be a non-refundable deposit, you need to be vigilant in your approach. As the other posters responded you should have a thorough inspection performed by a competent chassis mechanic who will inspect and test all mechanical systems. An eighteen year old coach is worth taking your time.

The tires inspection is a “must.” How old are they? How long has the unit been for sale? I am sure you have formulated a plethora of questions which should be posed to the dealer.

I did not know that there was a CarFax for motorhomes. This is new to me.

Ensure that you can be “refunded” in full if any inspection issues warrant a withdrawal by incorporating this in writing signed by the dealer and you. You need to protect yourself and not the dealer.

Best of luck.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2.

From NADA

Founded in 1986 as an independent motorhome builder in the state of Oregon, Safari eventually became part of the Monaco Coach Corporation. Safari focused on the construction of Class A and Class C adventure-oriented motorhomes. The Class A motorhomes in the Safari line ranges up to 45 feet in length. The Safari brand was discontinued after the 2009 model year when Monaco Coach Corporation was sold to Navistar.

Lots of info here

Safari International | USA and Canada Motorhome Club | FMCA
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Safarifriends/info
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/SafariCoaches/info

is this the coach? http://www.bestautoremarketing.com/2...5/Details.aspx
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

Non- refundable? 1000$ Absolutely no way I would ever consider that. Could be a giant waterlogged disaster and you are taking a dealers word for it?

Nope no way never. And I put down a lot of deposits and drove lots of miles. Looked at lots of crap that the dealer said was in perfect condition.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #9

Hi MP1; Don't get too wrapped up in what looks like a good deal. Under most circumstances, Dealers do not offer the great DEAL! Like others here have all ready posted, take your time, have everything in writing including that if systems do not function, who will pay for it or will the coach price be reduced. As others here will tell you from our own experience, coaches, diesel pushers, are a complex piece of equipment. Diesels run for ever if they have been taken care of. If not they can be a real money pit. Do not hesitate to walk away. It is your money so demand the best from your hard earned cash. By the way I drove from Seattle to Yuma to look at what was supposed to be a good deal. A lot further than you are going and I went over the coach with at least 75+ item check list. Got half way thru the list and said, NO THANKS. Later in that same year drove to L.A. to look at a 2002 Monaco Dynasty. Again, for the asking price, too much wrong with the coach including about 4K+ of paint work that was not disclosed to me before coming to see it. That is why you should not get too excited. Do your research like asking people here their opinions. Also if you want to know, and I think this is right, Safari was a stand alone manufacture of coaches and motorhomes. Beaver then bought Safari. Then Monaco bought Beaver. Gets complicated after a while. Good luck on your trip and I hope the coach turns out to be a peach. Have fun and enjoy the experience!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Miller View Post
There probably aren't any great deals from dealers. Slow down and buy a 1 owner, stored inside, coach from some old guy who has to quit for health reasons.
I really must agree!

Friend of mine just did that with a trailer he bought out of state from a small dealer. On the 1500 mile trip home he blew out 2 tires, so it tore up the floor and also found out the axles are both are bent way beyond repair. Prior owner high centered it on something it seems and the tires were too old for the trip.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Non-refundable would be a deal breaker. Trusting a dealer to tell you the condition would not be a good idea unless they are a life long trusted friend. The dealer will tell you just about anything to get your money on an older used unit.
As others suggested.
1. Get Inspected
2. Fluids Tested
3. Research Dealer
4. Research the model you are looking at closer.
If dealer will not allow inspection or fluid testing then start your search for another coach.
There are good coaches out there. Be patient and diligent.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Non-refundable would be a deal breaker. Trusting a dealer to tell you the condition would not be a good idea unless they are a life long trusted friend. The dealer will tell you just about anything to get your money on an older used unit.
As others suggested.
1. Get Inspected
2. Fluids Tested
3. Research Dealer
4. Research the model you are looking at closer.
If dealer will not allow inspection or fluid testing then start your search for another coach.
There are good coaches out there. Be patient and diligent.
Add: Have a professional check the tire condition and build date
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tires

Look at the date codes on the tires, only on one side of each tire.
Looks like a "branding mark", 4 digit #.
first 2 digits are week, 2nd 2 are year.
EX: 4515 would be 45th week of 2015.
7-8 years old max, no matter how much tread.
RV tires age out, not wear out.
I just found my coach after a 2+ year search.
DjDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
too bad you are leaving tomorrow. I am from that part of WA and would be glad to take a look at it for you. However I am in Montana right now and will not be back till Wednesday. I'm not an expert or remotely close to one, I would give you my opinion on that coach and try and find out more info for you if I could.

Like everyone here has said, and I agree, take your time. Get your inspections, and analysis done before giving cash. It could be a very nice coach as Safari was bought by Beaver so Beaver could have the Safari chassis I believe. I would be very cautious with the dealer though. They are not in it to please you, they are not your friend, they want YOUR money. This is not like buying a new coach or a used coach from a Brand dealer that would hope to get your repeat and service business in the future.

If the coach you are looking at is the one listed in the previous post, it did not say what the length was. If it is a 45 ft because of the 455 in the description I would be very hesitant. I could be all wrong but it didn't appear to have a tag axle from the picture.

I mean no disrespect to any dealer but in my opinion only you have to look out for yourself 1st and foremost.

Good luck let us know what you decide.

Golfer Guy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice