Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mcd type shades

Has anyone found a manufacturer or company selling MCD type shades at a more reasonable price? I have 3 MCD shades in my coach and would like more but the MCD's seem overpriced for what theyu are. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

Bench, MCD now has the "Gold Series" for sale. They are about 30% less than the orginals. While at the FMCA Rally in IN last month I ordered 5 of them. 3 big living room and dinet windows and 2 end of slide windows. There was no tax and free shipping. My total was just a little over 700.00.

Judy from the factory was at the rally and showed us the diff in the two models. The gold series does not have the adjustment knob that you can reach to make any adjustments, to make the adjustments you have to release them from the holders and turn a screw. She also stated that once they are adjusted when you install them, they should be good to go for "a long time". Also the bottom pull down bar is made into the fabric, the orginals have a nice exposed pull down bar. They also have some light weight fabric for use with the gold series, but the colors I wanted were the heavy org stuff. She showed me on the display how easy they are to install and remove. Anyway they arrived this passed Tuesday and I hope to install them this weekend. I have already removed the old units. Very easy instructions included. Maybe 10 mins per shade. Hope this helps.

George
Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I may be able to help you on a non MCD windshield shade.

I wanted a day time sun shade for the front windshield while we are traveling and staying in camp grounds for a day or two. I didn't want the hassle of setting up the outside window coverings so I priced a MCD electric shade and was quote $1600.

I thought this price is outrageous for a simple shade so I received a Costco flyer that had Sunsetter shades on sale while they only come in 1 foot increments. Low and behold an 8 foot screen fit perfectly between my windshield A pillars.
Costco also has a money back policy even with special mail order items so I thought what the heck if nothing ventured, nothing gained.
They come in manual and 120v electric with remote, so I ordered an electric model with color to match my interior for $357 mind you that this was a sale price, I think regular price is about $450. The Manual version was about $100 less.
Anyhow I installed the screen and it works beautifully and looks beautiful. The electric version allows you to set the screen low and retract positions so push a button on the remote and it works.
I didn't need the guide wires that keeps the screen from blowing in the wind because it was installed inside the windshield. Also the bottom bar attached to the bottom of the screen rides inside the A pillar arms which keep the screen within a couple of inches of the windshield. The Sunsetter was designed for outside or inside installation on stick built homes.
I used butterfly toggle bolts to secure the screen to the ceiling above the windshield as it weights about 18 lbs.
My RV is a 2004 Beaver
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #4

ZZZS,

Your shade solution sounds like sommething I'd like to copy. Can you please post picture or two of how they look? I'd appreciate it.

Gary
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Check out this URL.

https://unitedshade.com/