RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Microwave/convection oven

My 2005 HR has a combination Microwave/convection oven with an fan on top and light underneath.
The problem is the Micro will only work for 59 seconds no matter what we try. Anyone have a similar problem with this combination?

I sure would like to keep this combo because I would have to change a whole lot of things to replace just the micro...........Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Mike

Lincolnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Me thinks you need operators manual

Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #3

Read this thread. Common problem
Sharp Microwave Oven R-1874 Circa 2004 removal
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnut View Post
My 2005 HR has a combination Microwave/convection oven with an fan on top and light underneath.
The problem is the Micro will only work for 59 seconds no matter what we try. Anyone have a similar problem with this combination?

I sure would like to keep this combo because I would have to change a whole lot of things to replace just the micro...........Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Mike

I "think" I remember reading somewhere about a failing switch causing an automatic shutdown at 59 seconds. Hate to send you on a wild goose chase but try searching under your actual model and manufacturer for such a problem. Like this:

Sharp R-1874 shuts off after 59 seconds - Fixya
Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #5

microwave shuts off

did you do anything to block the exhaust venting? is the fan working? its probably running to hot so its shutting down.when mind was shutting down early i changed the magnatron that helped for a while some have long warrentees ,its easy to change good luck
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
This is a problem in one of the damper-related components, either the switch or motor or the damper door may be binding.

The damper is a door inside that opens or closes depending on cooking mode. If the controller senses that the door is not in the right position, it will shut down the cook cycle.

Sharp models stop after 59 seconds. That's the giveaway.

See the attached sample drawing for a typical damper assembly.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up

I have fixed this exact problem with my Sharp. You CAN do this if you have any handy man experience and electronic experience...OR that burning desire to save a buck because, trust me on this, there are people willing to charge $200+ to fix this. The answers are on the internet in many sites...not sure which one I used...but there are step by step directions to repair this. I believe the switch was about 18 dollars. The hardest part was removing/remounting the microwave as it is seriously installed to go down the road at 70 MPH and not fall off during a bump in the road! Good Luck!!!
ZephyrKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

I had this problem on our unit a few years ago. Since we didn't want to hang around one location while a shop got around to it, ordered the part, etc., I ordered the damper motor on line ($20.25). When we arrived someplace where I found a shop that could install it immediately I pulled the oven and took it and the new motor to the shop. A few hours and $40 later I picked up the repaired oven.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #9

Thanks for the help.......You guys are the best........

Now I will try to fix this little problem in the next week or two so I can use the Micro.......

Thanks again and I will let you know the outcome.......

Mike
Old 02-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #10

My wife and I just did this repair last week following the info on the link posted by others. While the instructions are dead on for the repair once the oven is removed, be very careful in paying close attention to how the oven is secured to the cabinet. The two long bolts accessed thru the filters are the main attachment, they screw into the wall plate. There may be other screws holding the assembly to the cabinet. The installation instructions that came with the oven also show two screws coming down vertically from the overhead cabinet. Since there was not any access above the oven in our installation, I did, after careful examination, discovered two screws, one on each side that were installed horizontally into the side cabinets. If we hadn't found these it would have been quite frustrating and might have resulted in some bent sheet metal. We used a large box a few inches shorter that the counter to oven height, then the oven could tip down and rest on the box. Lifting the rear off the bracket and then sliding it forward. Good luck! BTW, we replaced both the motor and the switch. Didn't want to do this again anytime soon.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #11

I have done this and it was about $20 BUT getting the long bolts to restart were a pain in the butt. Of course I was doing this by myself and picking the unit up and stacking stuff under it while I tried to start the bolts was the hardest. I damaged one of the bolts and they aren't available anymore so had to make one from allthread which then it wouldn't start once I had the oven back up so I had to start the bolt and then thread the oven up and around it and then start the other bolt. Once up I then cut off the extra allthread.
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #12

Well this is what my Sharp 1870 MW/Convection oven looks like taken apart.....Have the parts ordered and doing some other things while waiting on them..........You folks were right one about the removal and access to the Damper motor......But the people that installed this unit had inadvertently, I think/hope, ran a screw into the MW case from the top cabinet that I had to saw in too so it would come down...........Now if it only works after I put it back together and installed all will be good...........

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2343.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	537.5 KB
ID:	57063  
Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnut View Post
Well this is what my Sharp 1870 MW/Convection oven looks like taken apart.....Have the parts ordered and doing some other things while waiting on them..........You folks were right one about the removal and access to the Damper motor......But the people that installed this unit had inadvertently, I think/hope, ran a screw into the MW case from the top cabinet that I had to saw in too so it would come down...........Now if it only works after I put it back together and installed all will be good...........

Mike
Thanks for the update !!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #14

Well folks a great big Thank You again.......I got the parts today and spent an hour putting it back together and IT WORKS........Heated water for 1 min & 11 seconds first then 1 min & 30 seconds then went and got the DW and cooked some Popcorn for 2 min & 34 seconds with out any problems........

Now I just got to put it back up in the hole tomorrow and the DW will be happy and I will have one more thing fixed before we head to Florida next month.............

THANKS again.......

Mike