Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid 30s??!! When it's mid 30's here, I'm parked in front of the fireplace watching TV.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #184

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Mid 30s??!! When it's mid 30's here, I'm parked in front of the fireplace watching TV.
I hear that. But the mid-30's this past week feel like a heat wave compared to the past two months of high only getting into the mid-20's. I have quite a lengthy list so I figured I have better get started sooner rather than later. When DST starts in six weeks that will also help me to get some more items checked off the list.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:16 AM   #185

Monaco Owners Club
Finally getting at least above freezing here so I can start knocking items off of my "to do" list on the coach before the RVing season officially starts for us.

I thought I was going to have to put new batteries in the coach last year but they tested fine so I ran them, no such luck this year as they are toast. I really can't complain though as I put these Interstate U2200's in back in spring of 2007 so they are 9 years old this month. Not bad at all, they don't owe me anything at this point.

Here are the new batteries awaiting installation.

Old ones out.

Tray cleaned, cables connectors wire brushed/cleaned, tray sprayed down, track for slide lubed and new batteries installed.

It is still a bit cold so I will wait a few days as it is supposed to be in all the way up into the 50's by mid-week so I will then apply some protection to the terminal posts/connections.

Now on to the next item on the list.

Mike.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #186

Mike, glad to see you are able to knock off your winter projects. Texas trip will be here before we know it. I have a project for next week myself. Blew a hole in my plastic dip stick tube. Ordered new one from Spartan, will replace and clean up oil mess. Dar is on the bingo circuit here in Pahrump with her girlfriends, so I have plenty of time for projects. See you soon.
Gary
Old 02-12-2016, 10:03 AM   #187

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Mike, glad to see you are able to knock off your winter projects. Texas trip will be here before we know it. I have a project for next week myself. Blew a hole in my plastic dip stick tube. Ordered new one from Spartan, will replace and clean up oil mess. Dar is on the bingo circuit here in Pahrump with her girlfriends, so I have plenty of time for projects. See you soon.
Gary
You're right Gary, Texas is sneaking up fast. I have been working on my Watts link components the front suspension for my coach. I have been doing what I can in the shop, but I am just about to the point I need to start fabbing and welding under the coach so I need the weather to warm a bit.

After that I need to get our new satellite dish installed but once the weather clears I don't think that will take too awfully long. Other than that we are about ready to hit the road pointed to Texas.

How the heck did you blow a hole in the dipstick tube? Are you talking the engine oil dipstick on your ISL? Mine is a steel tube, just curious.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again. Sounds like Darlene is having fun while your working on the coach, good for her.

Mike.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #188

My engine oil dipstick is indeed plastic on my ISL. Like to know who came up with that stupid idea. Fact is this is the second time it has happened.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:11 PM   #189

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My engine oil dipstick is indeed plastic on my ISL. Like to know who came up with that stupid idea. Fact is this is the second time it has happened.
What is causing it to blow apart? If it is pressure in the crankcase you may want to check on your ventilation tube and make sure it is unobstructed. I can't see it having that much back pressure unless you have an enormous amount of blowby.

Mike.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:36 PM   #190

That is the concern I have this time around also, as both times it happened I was pulling a grade. First time I felt it was aged plastic, as well as it running close to hot manifold and turbo. Now I am nervous and will check vent tube for starters. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.
Gary
Old 02-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #191

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That is the concern I have this time around also, as both times it happened I was pulling a grade. First time I felt it was aged plastic, as well as it running close to hot manifold and turbo. Now I am nervous and will check vent tube for starters. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.
Gary
Let me know what you discover. Now I am curious as well.

Mike.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #192

Monaco Owners Club
I was able to get one more project crossed off of my "to do" list over the weekend and although it is not technically part of the coach it if usually attached to it so I thought I would post it here.

I rebuilt my Roadmaster Sterling towbar.

Torn apart and all of the corroded and worn parts removed, ready for installation of the new components.

It really is a pretty simple and straight forward procedure but this one specification is critical so I thought I would show it. Between the nylotron bushing and the steel spool where the spring resides, this measurement MUST be 1" exactly.

And completed ready for hopefully another 10+ years of service and many more miles.

I also have a youtube video coming for anyone interested in rebuilding their own. It is not difficult but it is extremely important that you get the fasteners tightened properly and the spring preload set correctly. Remember this is the connection between your coach and your toad, please don't take it lightly.

Mike.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I was able to get one more project crossed off of my "to do" list over the weekend and although it is not technically part of the coach it if usually attached to it so I thought I would post it here.

Torn apart and all of the corroded and worn parts removed, ready for installation of the new components.

It really is a pretty simple and straight forward procedure but this one specification is critical so I thought I would show it. Between the nylotron bushing and the steel spool where the spring resides, this measurement MUST be 1" exactly.

And completed ready for hopefully another 10+ years of service and many more miles.

I also have a youtube video coming for anyone interested in rebuilding their own. It is not difficult but it is extremely important that you get the fasteners tightened properly and the spring preload set correctly. Remember this is the connection between your coach and your toad, please don't take it lightly.

Mike.
Mike, it's coincidence that you just rebuilt your sterling. Mine has gotten difficult to slide in and out while hooking and unhooking. I've been leary of doing it myself cause like you said, don't take it lightly. I would love to see your YouTube video and decide if I could do it. Thanks for all you share on here, it really helps us not quite as smart as you guys get things done.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #194

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Mike.
Awesome stuff! Looking forward to the video!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #195

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Mike, it's coincidence that you just rebuilt your sterling. Mine has gotten difficult to slide in and out while hooking and unhooking. I've been leary of doing it myself cause like you said, don't take it lightly. I would love to see your YouTube video and decide if I could do it. Thanks for all you share on here, it really helps us not quite as smart as you guys get things done.

Chad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Awesome stuff! Looking forward to the video!
Thanks guys. I will have the video up shortly, my son was editing it last night and I hope to have it up sometime today. I will post a link to it and hopefully it will be of benefit.

Chad, my towbar was getting stiff and felt like it was catching/dragging when extending the arms so that is the biggest reason for my concern and deciding to rebuild it now vs. postponing it any longer.

Mike.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #196

Quote:
Thanks guys. I will have the video up shortly, my son was editing it last night and I hope to have it up sometime today. I will post a link to it and hopefully it will be of benefit.

Chad, my towbar was getting stiff and felt like it was catching/dragging when extending the arms so that is the biggest reason for my concern and deciding to rebuild it now vs. postponing it any longer.

Mike.
Mike, exactly the way mine is. Do you have to call roadmaster for a rebuild kit or are you able to buy locally? Thanks

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade