Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
You nailed it Van. Believe me I have caught a lot of heat over the trailing arm modifications that I did on other sites and my youtube channel through emails. People going off because of how critical those components are and I am not certified to be making those changes. That kills me, what the hell certifications are there for this type of stuff. I guarantee my welding is at least as good if not better than the original welds on the suspension and it has been welded during manufacturing/assembly so don't tell me it can't be welded. I completely understand the importance from a safety standpoint but I have been doing this for nearly three decades.

Mike.
That's what gets me too. What qualifications? What certifications? Point out what certifications I need to tig weld on my 7 second dragster. I suppose all RV mechanics are "certified" to make alterations. Some folks are indeed wound too tight, and others just cannot believe that a regular guy can have talents and abilities that they couldn't even dream of having.
There are those who think about it, and those who do it.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
It doesn't matter how well you do something. It doesn't matter how perfect the item you create. It just doesn't matter.

Somewhere, someone will have a problem with whatever it is you've created/done. It's a fact and those folks can very seldom be educated/enlightened.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
It doesn't matter how well you do something. It doesn't matter how perfect the item you create. It just doesn't matter.

Somewhere, someone will have a problem with whatever it is you've created/done. It's a fact and those folks can very seldom be educated/enlightened.
I just hope the truly talented folks on ALL these forums are not deterred by what I call "Pontificating Apocalypse Predictors" (PAP). I like to think I've acquired some pretty good skills in my lifetime, but I'm always inspired by the posts of others who have done things I just might never have thought of...or that frankly make my accomplishments look trivial. On the thread I started about reducing required brake pedal pressure for severe braking, one fellow (well-meaning, I'm sure) went into such a diatribe about "amateurs" doing critical jobs like brake work, that one of my friends PM'ed me and said, "That guy made me feel like I was dangling my family over the Grand Canyon in a basket suspended by a shoestring." LOL

I've seen some close-ups of Mike's welds. I'm sure Bucky's are equally impressive. I won't say that Monaco had really poor welders, but there are definitely some sub-standard welds in places on BOTH my Dynasty's. I'm sure Mike or Bucky would have done a better job.

If any of you post something you are doing that is really "out there", you can bet I won't be one of the guys shooting you down. You might make me envious at times...you might make me think "Why didn't *I* think of that"...you might make me wish I had your skills...but I won't shoot you down.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, I've dealt with welding just about my entire, adult life. I have never once laid down a bead though. I was a fitter helper for a few years. Now I'm in the transportation industry and deal with a ton of manufactured equipment and those items being secured to rail cars by...welded steel. When we first started moving transformers that were built in China, I can guarantee, having never done it one time in my LIFE, I could have put down a better weld than the quality that was being used on those transformers. I've ground down and cleaned up more welds than I can probably count. It doesn't make me an expert by any means, but I can spot quality work in a heartbeat.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
That's what gets me too. What qualifications? What certifications? Point out what certifications I need to tig weld on my 7 second dragster. I suppose all RV mechanics are "certified" to make alterations. Some folks are indeed wound too tight, and others just cannot believe that a regular guy can have talents and abilities that they couldn't even dream of having.
There are those who think about it, and those who do it.
The funny thing is that most of us racers seem to be the ones that just simply get stuff done. Where others see obstacles or reasons NOT to do something we merely look at them as opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post

You said it. There are some that will never understand, yet they are the first to post up the negative comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
I just hope the truly talented folks on ALL these forums are not deterred by what I call "Pontificating Apocalypse Predictors" (PAP). I like to think I've acquired some pretty good skills in my lifetime, but I'm always inspired by the posts of others who have done things I just might never have thought of...or that frankly make my accomplishments look trivial. On the thread I started about reducing required brake pedal pressure for severe braking, one fellow (well-meaning, I'm sure) went into such a diatribe about "amateurs" doing critical jobs like brake work, that one of my friends PM'ed me and said, "That guy made me feel like I was dangling my family over the Grand Canyon in a basket suspended by a shoestring." LOL

I've seen some close-ups of Mike's welds. I'm sure Bucky's are equally impressive. I won't say that Monaco had really poor welders, but there are definitely some sub-standard welds in places on BOTH my Dynasty's. I'm sure Mike or Bucky would have done a better job.

If any of you post something you are doing that is really "out there", you can bet I won't be one of the guys shooting you down. You might make me envious at times...you might make me think "Why didn't *I* think of that"...you might make me wish I had your skills...but I won't shoot you down.
Thanks for the compliments Van, coming from you and what I have seen of your work I hold that in the HIGHEST regards.

I recall the thread you are referring to and also thought that the gentleman may have meant well but it was obvious to see that you are no amateur by your past posts/threads.

I am truly marveled at some of the high level of workmanship that I continuously see on several of the forums that I frequent. It not only gives me hope for our future as a resourceful nation but it also inspires me to push myself and continuously improve upon my own skillset.

Thanks again to all who have responded/replied with positive comments.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Glad to help. Post up a thread on it when you get it completed. I would love to see some pics of it and your thoughts after the fact.

Mike.
Parts ordered. If they show up in time before we leave on this weekend's camping trip, I'll do it out in the woods.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:50 PM   #63

My problem is that I work with and around people who can humble me with welding. I had a couple friends do some work to my son's jr this winter, and now I'm not sure I will ever weld on a cage again. Man this guy does a great job laying it down with TIG. Now I run a program at a chemical company inspecting stainless weld on pressure vessels, tanks and pipe. I do see some work now and then I'm not happy with. But mostly these guys are impressive.

At my last job I supervised a floor of welders. Every once in a while I would get a new guy that tells me if it's so easy then I should try it. They figured the engineer in slacks hasn't ever done this stuff. I used to have real fun with that. "How does this helmet work? So do you pull the trigger to make the wire thingy come out?" Ha ha. Suckers! Game on! I may not be real good. But I'm not real bad either.

Most of the stuff we do at home isn't tanks holding methyl-ethyl-death though. It has to be done relatively correct and not come apart. I'm up for that! I have done some work I was proud off, and some work I don't care to show anyone. Everyone has their first time for something! I didn't marry my first girlfriend for that matter! LOL.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
My problem is that I work with and around people who can humble me with welding. I had a couple friends do some work to my son's jr this winter, and now I'm not sure I will ever weld on a cage again. Man this guy does a great job laying it down with TIG. Now I run a program at a chemical company inspecting stainless weld on pressure vessels, tanks and pipe. I do see some work now and then I'm not happy with. But mostly these guys are impressive.

At my last job I supervised a floor of welders. Every once in a while I would get a new guy that tells me if it's so easy then I should try it. They figured the engineer in slacks hasn't ever done this stuff. I used to have real fun with that. "How does this helmet work? So do you pull the trigger to make the wire thingy come out?" Ha ha. Suckers! Game on! I may not be real good. But I'm not real bad either.

Most of the stuff we do at home isn't tanks holding methyl-ethyl-death though. It has to be done relatively correct and not come apart. I'm up for that! I have done some work I was proud off, and some work I don't care to show anyone. Everyone has their first time for something! I didn't marry my first girlfriend for that matter! LOL.
Funny you should mention that about people not knowing you can weld. I recently accepted a new job as a maintenance/fleet shop manager and the first week I was in our truck shop and a guy was welding on one of our yard goats. It didn't sound quite right so I wandered over and asked him if he would mind if I gave him a couple of pointers, not trying to be pushy or arrogant, just genuinely asking if he would like some assistance.

He stood up pulled his hood off and handed his welding helmet and MIG gun to me like, "HERE TAKE IT AND SHOW ME!" I was in my dress slacks and made a few tweeks to the machine and proceeded to lay a bead down while he grabbed another helmet and watched.

I noticed when I raised the helmet he had the dumbest look on his face. I then proceeded to have him try it and I explained a couple of things to try differently. This young man could not thank me enough for the next several days. I overheard him telling one of his co-workers he was shocked to hand his manager a gun and he could actually do the job and do it well. Evidently he had never experienced that before, which is kind of sad in reality.

All in all I think if nothing else, it gave me a little "street credit" within the shop at minimum.

Mike.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #65

I love that Mike! Great street credit for sure.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:38 AM   #66

Quote:
Funny you should mention that about people not knowing you can weld. I recently accepted a new job as a maintenance/fleet shop manager and the first week I was in our truck shop and a guy was welding on one of our yard goats. It didn't sound quite right so I wandered over and asked him if he would mind if I gave him a couple of pointers, not trying to be pushy or arrogant, just genuinely asking if he would like some assistance.

He stood up pulled his hood off and handed his welding helmet and MIG gun to me like, "HERE TAKE IT AND SHOW ME!" I was in my dress slacks and made a few tweeks to the machine and proceeded to lay a bead down while he grabbed another helmet and watched.

I noticed when I raised the helmet he had the dumbest look on his face. I then proceeded to have him try it and I explained a couple of things to try differently. This young man could not thank me enough for the next several days. I overheard him telling one of his co-workers he was shocked to hand his manager a gun and he could actually do the job and do it well. Evidently he had never experienced that before, which is kind of sad in reality.

All in all I think if nothing else, it gave me a little "street credit" within the shop at minimum.

Mike.
Mike, I do that same thing in my machine shop. You always get more respect and a harder-working crew when they think that you actually know what you are talking about when you ask them to try something new.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:26 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Mike, I do that same thing in my machine shop. You always get more respect and a harder-working crew when they think that you actually know what you are talking about when you ask them to try something new.
Agreed. With the time I have been in management I have always said I wouldn't ask someone to do something that I wouldn't do. Little do many of the newer employees know that I have done more than my share of "**** jobs" in the past 27+ years working for this company.

Mike.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
I fixed my entry door. I made a thread. Enjoy.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Ignition switch part number

Mike,
Thanks for the excellent detailed post of issues you have corrected.
I am having the same issue with my ignition with the intermittent dash lights when starting and would liked to know the ignition switch part number you purchased.
I have a 1999 Monaco Signature and believe the switches are the same.

Dan
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
Mike,
Thanks for the excellent detailed post of issues you have corrected.
I am having the same issue with my ignition with the intermittent dash lights when starting and would liked to know the ignition switch part number you purchased.
I have a 1999 Monaco Signature and believe the switches are the same.

Dan
Thanks for the compliments Dan.

NAPA part # K6603 for the ignition switch.

Mike.

Tags
upgrade