RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,
Per our conversations, just scored 2 shops 1-30x50 and 1- 50x140 (makes the Bus look tiny) oh and a house on two acres, we are going to set up a boondockers spot soon, a month or two, probably just electric and water for now. When you head north you could stop by.

Neil

Prometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Mike,
Per our conversations, just scored 2 shops 1-30x50 and 1- 50x140 (makes the Bus look tiny) oh and a house on two acres, we are going to set up a boondockers spot soon, a month or two, probably just electric and water for now. When you head north you could stop by.

Neil
Wow, thanks for the offer Neil and congratulations. That sounds like an awesome place. I would love to see some pictures of it.

We were up near your neck of the woods last month. We were headed to Glacier NP and decided to detour through Arco for an evening and then up to Salmon for a few days. Arco was definetly NOT what I had imagined. It was quite interesting.

We have traveled up that way many times over the past 15+ years but always stayed on I-15 whether hitting the sand dunes at St. Anthony's or heading up to Northwestern Montana. This was the first time we took hwy 26 then Hwy 93 all the way up to Missoula. Absolutely fantastic drive. That WILL be the way we go from now on.

Mike.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #73

Amen to that, never ask someone to do what you would not or have not done!

REF #67
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #74

Mike, Nice writings.. It's funny though, as I am reading what you are doing to your coach I am saying yep, I agree, yep. Then my wife asks me what are you doing? I respond and say, I am agreeing with Mike! Who's Mike?? Oh sorry, you need to read this, we could so do this!!! We have been researching coaches for awhile now and everything I look at takes me right back to a Monaco.. But, we see a lot of neglected coaches and that steers my wife away because she doesn't want to spend all of our time working on it. I figure it only takes money and time, well and the right tools.. I like to do my own work and I am picky to a point of OCD as to how I do it and how I want it to turn out. I have never done the I can't thing, My saying is, "I will try anything once and twice if I like it.." I love it when people tell me I CAN'T do something.. I just get fired up.. Thanks for the inspiration and sorry for the rambling...lol

Woodrow
WoodrowRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:02 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodrowRAM View Post
Mike, Nice writings.. It's funny though, as I am reading what you are doing to your coach I am saying yep, I agree, yep. Then my wife asks me what are you doing? I respond and say, I am agreeing with Mike! Who's Mike?? Oh sorry, you need to read this, we could so do this!!! We have been researching coaches for awhile now and everything I look at takes me right back to a Monaco.. But, we see a lot of neglected coaches and that steers my wife away because she doesn't want to spend all of our time working on it. I figure it only takes money and time, well and the right tools.. I like to do my own work and I am picky to a point of OCD as to how I do it and how I want it to turn out. I have never done the I can't thing, My saying is, "I will try anything once and twice if I like it.." I love it when people tell me I CAN'T do something.. I just get fired up.. Thanks for the inspiration and sorry for the rambling...lol

Woodrow
Thanks for the compliments Woodrow, I really appreciate it. I agree having the right attitude is a big part of it, hell with the right attitude the battle is half won.

I too seem to suffer from OCD which is the biggest reason I refuse to have anyone else touch my coach, or my daily driven vehicles, my Harleys, my Jeep or anything I own for that matter.

When we purchased our Dynasty it wasn't abused by any means, but it was definetly neglected to a small degree. Fortunate for the wife and I it allowed us to get into about a 4-year newer coach than we thought with the same budget. The dealer thought I was crazy when he was telling us that he would repair and touch up a few areas and I told him "NO", I will take it as is and this is what I will offer you. I think my wife was even a bit shocked but I didn't want the dealership fixing it half-a$$ed and asking a higher amount only for me to have to come back and repair it correctly when I got it home.

It ended up working out for all. The paint right now is still my biggest issue, there are areas that continue to have the clearcoat peeling and it really needs a complete re-paint which is what the wife and I are saving up for now. Mechanically it is in top notch condition and should still provide many, many more miles of enjoyment. Our goal is to replace it when we retire which is still about 9-10 years away. Until then this coach should get us around just fine.

Thanks again. I appreciate and welcome your comments.

Mike.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #76

Mike,
Thanks for the number. Crossed over to a CS81 at Advanced auto parts. perfect fit for a 99 Signature. The switch did not fix it but changing the top solenoid relay in front bay did.

Dan
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Dan, glad to hear you at least were able to figure it out and resolve your issue.

Mike.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Well, time to move on to the next issue/modification. I guess that is what happens when they start to get some age on them.

I have wanted to install a residential refrigerator for a few years now but to be honest the Norcold 1200RLIM has been doing a great job, that is up until the last two trips this summer. We have not had many of the issues that people seem to report with their Norcolds so I told myself that I was not going to spend the time or money on the residential refrigerator until the absorption refrigerator started acting up. My only hope was that it would not go all at once like the one in our last coach did and I had to hurry and replace it.

Last month on our trip to Glacier I noticed that the fridge on the first couple days of the trip did not keep our bottled waters or milk as cold as I would like and I did not have my IR thermomter with me. The latter part of the trip it seemed to work fine.

Last week during our annual trip to Ouray, CO the first half of the week it seemed warm as well. Temps inside the box were in the mid to upper-40's. I went outside and confirmed everything was working, which it was so I told the wife when we returned home it was coming out.

I ordered a new Samsung RF18 in black and it will be here tomorrow so Saturday I removed the Norcold and retired it from its duties.

Before picture of the Norcold. I will loose the two drawers beneath the old fridge but the wife seems to be ok with it. She is excited for the new fridge.

I started by disconnecting everything from the rear of the unit and removed the screws holding it down to the cabinet sub-floor.

Doors, hinges and front control panel removed to get the unit as narrow as possible.

I was looking around for some misc. wood to build a cart to pull the unit out on to and then have the ability to move it into the center of the coach. My son had the suggestion of just using our motorcycle jack as it already has wheels and it adjustable. Great idea, it worked perfectly.

Norcold out, sub-floor removed and ready to start a game plan. Hmmm, maybe I should have done that before starting. Oh well, too late to turn back now.

Closeup of flooring. Had I not had the wiring all go through the floor in the middle and the drain for the shower encroach into the side of the cabinet I would have just set the fridge on the floor and then covered the opening at the top.

I found where the gas line tapped off of the main line in the bay under the refrigerator. It actually wasn't too bad to access once I removed a filler panel and reached up behind my power cord reel.

Gas line capped.

Once the gas line was removed and the water line was moved I gathered the wiring together as best as possible to clear the perimeter so I can start to build up the sub-floor for the refrigerator to reside on.
[MOD EDIT]

I was about to start constructing the sub-floor but it was getting a little late on a Sunday afternoon so I decided to merely close in the roof vent and call it a day. Here is the opening prior to closing it off.

I placed a piece of luan up inside of the vent opening. I had to notch a small section where the wiring from my solar panels comes in through my roof vent and into the refrigerator compartment, then down the wall.

I then stuffed some insulation that I had removed from the cabinet walls up inside the opening prior to placing another larger piece of luan up and screwing to the ceiling as well as placing a piece of 1"x2" across it for extra rigidity. Probably overkill but it is sealed up tightly now.

That is about it for now. So far I have about 5 hours into the project between Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. The new Samsung should be here tomorrow afternoon and then I can work on getting this project completed before our next trip next week. I am still somewhat undecided on what to do about trimming the sides, top and bottom but I will come up with something.

Stay tuned.

Mike.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
I am staying tuned. We recently bought a smaller Samsung when our fridge went out. I was so very hopeful it was small enough to go in our coach, but alas, it's the 21cf model. I will be watching your install of the RF18.
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
I am staying tuned. We recently bought a smaller Samsung when our fridge went out. I was so very hopeful it was small enough to go in our coach, but alas, it's the 21cf model. I will be watching your install of the RF18.
Unfortunately it will be delayed by a couple of days. Freakin' Home Depot strikes again. I knew there was a reason I hate that place.

They screwed up my telephone number when I ordered the fridge last Wednesday. I was emailed an invoice immediately after ordering it over the phone. They had typed my telephone number incorrectly. I immediately called them back and a different person answered the phone due to the person I just spoke with went to lunch. I gave her the order number and informed her the telephone number was incorrect seeing as how EVERYTHING hinged off of that phone number. She explained that she changed it in their system, however, I didn't get the warm and fuzzies.

Last night when I did NOT get my phone call to schedule the 4-hour window for delivery I called back and they had NOT changed the phone number. I AGAIN gave the person my correct telephone number to give to the driver(s) so they could call as they were at the delivery prior to mine.

I received a telephone call later this morning stating that the drivers did not find anyone home and no one answered the telephone. I asked what number they called and sure enough it was WRONG. But they screwed up the first three numbers this time rather than just the last one that was originally incorrect.

HOLY CRAP, how hard is it, I spoke clearly and even had her repeat the number back to me and she still mis-typed a number. I will never go back to Home Depot again.

Now I am on delay mode until Thursday before I can get the stinkin' thing and finish this project up.

Mike.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #81

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did your old fridge go out the door, or did ya have to take a window out?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Did your old fridge go out the door, or did ya have to take a window out?
It fit out the door.

Mike.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I couldn't wait any longer. I had originally planned on waiting until the new Samsung was sitting in the coach to build up the floor so I could measure, measure and measure before cutting anything. However, with Home Depot's latest debacle with my telephone number, I couldn't wait and proceeded to build up the flooring. I went back to Home Depot yesterday on my lunch hour and took a few more measurements so I was prepared. I still won't be 100% sure until I actually go to slide the new fridge into place.

The new Samsung RF18 needs an opening a minimum of 71" tall to account for the larger box with the electronics on it that they placed on the top rear of the unit on this model. Using 71" as my opening height wise I calculated I needed to lower the floor 7" from where it was or build it up approx. 7" from the coaches floor in the cabinet, maximum. I decided to shoot for 6.5" build up which will give me approx. 71.5" opening in total.

I gathered the wiring together as closely as I could and then stood some 2x4's up on end in which to build the sub-floor on. This gives me 3.5" in height for a starting point towards my 6.5" target height.

I then ran another series of 2x4's around the perimeter tying in the lower ones. I brought these out right to the face of the enclosure. This brings me to a height of 5" and support right out to the front of the cabinet.

Before I moved onto the plywood floor for the cabinet I wanted to open the right side of the cabinet up as much as possible to clear the shower drain and vent pipe in the left rear of the enclosure. I figured I could remove approx. .5" from the right side which should allow me a .250" space on either side of the new refrigerator. Again, IF my measurements are correct.

Now that I had the opening sized for height, depth and lastly width, I could complete the floor by moving on to the plywood. I put a .75" piece of plywood onto the 2x4 base which brought me to 5.75" and then another layer of .75" plywood to get me exactly @ 6.5" height. The floor is rock solid now and ready for the new Samsung.

Now for the finishing touch. I had a cut edge on the right side of the cabinet that I wanted to hide yet tie in aesthetically to the new black Samsung. I came up with using some .062" thick .5" aluminum angle that I cut 45-degree angles on at the top corners. I then drilled and countersunk some screw holes in the inside edge so they won't be visible once the new fridge is in place. I test fit the trim pieces and then scuffed them down and painted them semi-gloss black.

Tonight's order of business will be to install the trim pieces around the perimeter of the cabinet and then foam fill the exterior access panel for insulation. At that point it should be ready to accept the new fridge.

Stay tuned for completed pictures. As long as it turns out good enought to post them.

Mike.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #84

Mike, sorry to hear about the Home Depot screw up. I'm not fond of Home Depot either so I ordered my fridge from Geodeckers ,which worked well. Looks like you are ready to just set it in place when it arrives. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade